TDPRI Member
looks great gil. my '52 approves!

IMG_1848.jpg

52GT_20.jpg

Last edited:

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
a misty coat of retarder sprayed over the entire guitar and straight to buffing.

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

Control assembly installed with original PIO bees

IMG_1876.jpg

Thin jack plate

IMG_1883.jpg

Switch installed. Note the earlier flat nut which is different than the burst nut. Catalin tip is same as late 50's

IMG_1884.jpg

PU's and TOM installed. The P90's are sitting tight on the body wood.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

ABR-1 is low since I used a low neck angle

IMG_1886.jpg

The rest of the parts were installed, nut shaped, board cleaned and the guitar is set with nice low action and is ready to rock (-;
Here's some photos. I'll take better shots in daylight tomorrow.

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1910x.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

brockburst

TDPRI Member
Are you the lucky owner?

Congratulations to you sir! You lucky SOB. :D

I feel very honored and lucky that it is mine. Stay tuned for the 1959 burst which is mine too, might be up tomorrow...who knows.

It has been an absolute joy working with Gil, I would highly recommend him to anyone considering a custom instrument. The attention to detail and genuine desire to make each customer happy is something you don't see often anymore. Not to mention, he is the only builder I have ever seen that says you have a time slot, and an 8 week build time, then actually delivers in 8 weeks. I had a couple other builds that were supposed to be 6-8 weeks, turned into 8-10 months.

Thank you Gil.

Greg M

Tele-Holic
Gold top is awesome Gil. Nice work.

A couple of questions:

1. You said: "a misty coat of retarder sprayed over the entire guitar and straight to buffing."

Do you mean you don't wet sand? If you've explained your technique in this thread somewhere, do you have an idea where I could find it? I sure would love to avoid all the wet sanding and go straight to buffing.

2. What kind of case do you have with that gold top?

Thanks for your help.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Woooooweeee!

Sharp dressed LP i'll say!

Just please tell me this one isn't getting reliced. :)

Thank you!
No relic, just added a "dirty" coat over the gold from the Gold gun to get just a tiny bit of the mandatory on even greening and skipped the fine buffing wheel to avoid extra shine.
I agree that GT's look great reliced but the way this instrument sounds I'm sure it will get a natural relic very quickly (-;

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Gold top is awesome Gil. Nice work.

A couple of questions:

1. You said: "a misty coat of retarder sprayed over the entire guitar and straight to buffing."

Do you mean you don't wet sand? If you've explained your technique in this thread somewhere, do you have an idea where I could find it? I sure would love to avoid all the wet sanding and go straight to buffing.

2. What kind of case do you have with that gold top?

Thanks for your help.

Wet sanding and rubbing is required when the final "wet" clear coat is less than perfect and it happens sometimes. It has a lot to do with the weather too because getting a perfectly smooth clear coat requires the right conditions. You can always do another wet coat to fix the surface but that will end up with a thicker finish film which I do not like... so there's basically only one chance to achieve that.
The misty retarder wash helps getting a flat buffing result without over heating the buffed lacquer. When the film is very thin any heating can cause a buff through which means... well... back to square one.
The buffing must be done within 30 minutes or so after the retarder wash.
Gibson did the same thing in the 50's.

I love the Lifton cases of course but I never trust them for overseas shipping.
I use ABS/Aluminum flight case and recommend adding the Lifton later just for show off even though a Lifton case screams "Steal Me" (-;

awasson

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow... I'm supposed to be working but I can't tear myself away from this thread. It's the reason I joined this forum and it just gets better.

I'm mid way through my own Tele build but I want to build a Les Paul more than ever now. This is pure inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

Andrew

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
I feel very honored and lucky that it is mine. Stay tuned for the 1959 burst which is mine too, might be up tomorrow...who knows.

It has been an absolute joy working with Gil, I would highly recommend him to anyone considering a custom instrument. The attention to detail and genuine desire to make each customer happy is something you don't see often anymore. Not to mention, he is the only builder I have ever seen that says you have a time slot, and an 8 week build time, then actually delivers in 8 weeks. I had a couple other builds that were supposed to be 6-8 weeks, turned into 8-10 months.

Thank you Gil.

Tomorrow is today (-;

IMG_1929.jpg

Sterling Sound

Tele-Meister
Oh. my. God.

I've had some weird thoughts lately about ordering a 54 Goldtop, a 59 ES-335, a 59 Strat and a 1960 Jazz Bass all in one go. I'm sure there will be a way to do so, that do not involve me living in a cardboard box.

Have to figure this one out :)

Greg M

Tele-Holic
Wet sanding and rubbing is required when the final "wet" clear coat is less than perfect and it happens sometimes. It has a lot to do with the weather too because getting a perfectly smooth clear coat requires the right conditions. You can always do another wet coat to fix the surface but that will end up with a thicker finish film which I do not like... so there's basically only one chance to achieve that.
The misty retarder wash helps getting a flat buffing result without over heating the buffed lacquer. When the film is very thin any heating can cause a buff through which means... well... back to square one.
The buffing must be done within 30 minutes or so after the retarder wash.
Gibson did the same thing in the 50's.

I love the Lifton cases of course but I never trust them for overseas shipping.
I use ABS/Aluminum flight case and recommend adding the Lifton later just for show off even though a Lifton case screams "Steal Me" (-;

Thanks Gil.

Mack Guitarwork

TDPRI Member
Dear Gil,

I found this pictures of a 1959 LP back.
Is it possible, that the fading occured this creamy-orange-finish?
Looks like solid color.
I like the look with the red pore-filler very much.

40_large.jpg

42_large.jpg

39_large.jpg

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Oh. my. God.

I've had some weird thoughts lately about ordering a 54 Goldtop, a 59 ES-335, a 59 Strat and a 1960 Jazz Bass all in one go. I'm sure there will be a way to do so, that do not involve me living in a cardboard box.

Have to figure this one out :)

LOL... get something nice for your wife and kids B.
Even if you'll flip and do the above you will not hold the record but I will not let you do this anyway (-;