1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Yes. Those are very strong rare earth magnets and can fully charge any PU magnet. I can hardly separate the charged magnets (-;
    I used to charge PU's by passing them between those two bars in the past but as the PU's exit the straight field between the bars they entered the curved field outside the bars and the charge has been messed up...
    I also use this method to easily charge PAF magnets off axis by simply placing them in an angle (it's somewhere in this thread...)

2. brockburst

brockburst TDPRI Member

can we see something like the P90's steps for PAF's? I know its in this thread somewhere but tough to sort through 137 pages ;)

3. bajaasdad

bajaasdad Tele-Meister

Preeb Da Shi!!!

This thread is unbelievable. I just saw that awesome pickup winding machine. Could you do a thread on that?? On pickup winding in general?

BD

PS: Da Shi is Chinese for 'Great Teacher' which, after the greatest build thread ever, is a title well deserved.:D

4. preeb

P. 61.

5. preeb

Why in general?
    I did about ten of them in particular for every PU model I make (-;

That winder is a frankenwinder I made out of so many parts (a few funny ones...). If you'll see it in real life you'll think it's a joke but I'm so used to it and it delivers each and every time. One of those strange relationships I guess...

6. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Question for Master Preeb: Have you ever made a pickup with a blade instead of pole pieces? I know not an historical reference, but I have an idea to make pickups, simple and small for my kids guitars, and I had a Pyramid from Motown that had blade bars instead of poles. I think for a single coil with a blade might be a very simple pickup for a novice to make.

Answer after Shabat - Shalom. :)

7. heinzlorenzo

heinzlorenzo Tele-Meister

Great job on those P-90s! They're even tricker to make than PAFs because they vary so much.

On early Gibson ones, the A3 one's I've found often have a pink coppery tint to the surface which can help identify them from A2.
    Also, strangely, on many 1952 Les Pauls, at Les Paul's request, the P-90's were fitted with extremely rough and large magnets, the same as used in some Gretsch/DeArmond units. Les Paul was a big fan of DeArmond pickups and most of his guitars had them hiding under custom made soapbar covers!

8. adrianjordan

adrianjordan TDPRI Member

Hi Gil,

Just wanted to say that I started reading this thread at about 07:00 this morning (okay, technically yesterday as it is now 00:49) and have been hooked all day...(don't tell the office!!)

Absolutely amazing work you do and has inspired me to want to have a go myself at such time as I have the space to put together a workshop...

In the meantime you have an email heading your way.

Also a question regarding finishing on Telecasters, I noted that on the 59 proto you buffed the finish out quite soon after spraying it. I'll be using spraycan nitro to finish my Tele and wanted to know whether only leaving it for a week to dry and then buffing it would allow the lacquer to shrink a bit more over the following months and show through the wood grain?

Anyway, once again...excellent work!!

9. preeb

No I haven't.
    Gibson made them for Charlie Christian though.
    It's a great PU but very raw sounding.

10. preeb

Thank you B. It's been a while... Always an honor having your posts here.
    If I may ask, is there a way to tell an Al3 from Al2 without a lab test?

That is just like Les... signing with Gibson but still doing his own thing (-;

11. preeb

Thank you adrianjordan!
    Hope you finish reading through this long long thread. I never did (-;

I use very little or no plasticizers in my lacquer so it doesn't take too long to cure. 2-3 days is usually OK. You'll need to experiment with your lacquer curing time with the "fingernail" and smell test.
    If the grain pores are fully sealed there should be no sinking but Nitro lacquer is always shrinking and you can expect some surface texture changes.
    I usually don't pore fill twice and do like a very slight grain surfacing.

If you do a perfect last wet clear coat and go directly to buffing then the sooner the better because the buffing is much easier when the lacquer is not fully cured yet. I'll say... after about 2 days or so.

12. preeb

At last the humidity dropped bellow 60%... time to do the final clear coat.
    I use the same gold gun with the leftover "green" (it oxidizes in the gun after a couple of days...) powder to get the very slight greening here and there for that deep original look.
    The final 2 coats are "clean" wet clear to seal and smooth it all up for easy buffing.
    The color looks different from every angle and has that "right" depth seen on the originals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll let it cure for a couple of days and move on to buffing and final assembly.

[​IMG]

13. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

Fascinating and inspiring work as always. Gold tops have always been my favorite Les Pauls, can't wait to see it finished.

Gil, you could be right about these "lines" inside the moulding being markers but they look a lot like undercuts added to make the part stay on the core. With shapes like a pick up cover they're often added by the toolmaker to make part ejection more reliable. I guess they could serve both purposes.

14. preeb

You are probably right. They are not evenly spaced and not identical on all 4 corners. Nevertheless... they make the trimming job easier for me (-;
    Thank you for that input, I never thought of that.

15. Gaetano

Gaetano TDPRI Member

Hi Gil!

Outstanding work as always! Congrats on the finish, the shade of the paint is perfect.

I'm sure it will look awesome and, most of all, i'm waiting to hear how that soapbars will sound. P90's crispy, bitey tone has always fascinated me, i'm sure it would be a great jazz/blues guitar :D

I was wondering if u will be making a "new shop build thread" just as the ones of your guitars :)

16. preeb

Thanks Gaetano!
    The shop is being built at the moment and I guess the heavy construction stage is not what interests you much (-;
    Once It's set up with the new tooling and stations I'll post it here like promised.

Here we literally "moved" the the old shack to another area of the roof so I could keep working...

[​IMG]

And here's the new shop's outer walls and roof shell... still a lot of work to be done but I hope I'll know what to do with such space... I'm so used to my old shack (-;

[​IMG]

17. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

Wow. Is the new shop also on the same roof??

18. Gaetano

Gaetano TDPRI Member

Wow Gil!

You're not allowed to build anything without letting us know! :-D

BTW, you must have one big roof! The new shop seems to be at least 3 times bigger in comparison with the old one...

Don't forget to let us know the details of the machines that you will buy. I'm not going to be a luthier in my life but i'm sure that there are many guys here that would be really interested in what to get to make their work right :)

19. preeb

Yeah. It's a very large roof.

20. preeb

5 times bigger because of the separate spray booth, clean setup area and hot room for wood storage.
    I still think I'll miss my old shack... I just can't get myself to take it apart.

Worry not. I'll post the interesting stuff for sure (-;

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.