1959 Les Paul Build

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Mortise is cut

IMG_1229.jpg

Neck is roughly fitted to make sure it sits very tight in there + flush with the top

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Board is placed on top and the angle is measured again. I also use a straight edge to measure the ABR-1 clearance (~12mm).

IMG_1231.jpg

Neck bindings are cut down

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

Initial body roundover cut is 3/16" but will appear a little smaller after final sanding.

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

Neck is rolled to a classic 50's fat shape with less shoulder

IMG_1267x.jpg

Note the larger heel

IMG_1269.jpg

and the slightly fatter HS transition base due to the larger neck profile

IMG_1271x.jpg

Final tight neck fitting with zero gaps and voids.

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Tuner holes cleanly enlarged

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Delrin nut blank is cut

IMG_1387.jpg

and hide glued

IMG_1389.jpg

Neck is hide glued to the body and the P90 cavities are routed.

IMG_1437.jpg

Secondary P90 routs added. In 56 the secondary rout was made with a 1/2" cutter resulting with a wider long channel (earlier models were cut with a smaller bit).

IMG_1439.jpg

I'll get into the (many) fine details of my P90's but for now I just test fit them in the cavities. The cavities are identical to the original specs so many modern P90's will not fit in there. I had to also make my P90's similar to the old ones (of course) (-;

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

P90's are mounted directly to the bottom of the PU cavity (important for good tone) so the only adjustment is by raising the poles. I don't like to have the poles too far out from the coil because there's a loss of highs so I make sure the PU cavities depth is accurate.

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Most 56 P90's were made identical and had the same cover height and no wooden shims under the magnets (some bridge P90's were made a little taller to get in closer proximity to the strings in cases where the neck angle was a little larger.... I'll talk about this later) so I will also make a standard set for this guitar. PU Clearance to string plane is measured fine...

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

I'll be cutting the larger 56 pickguard version (yes... there were two outlines...) that has a tight fit against the PU's. I test the guard's template first to make sure all is OK.

IMG_1448.jpg

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
STP insert locations are measured relatively to the neck and drilled

IMG_1451.jpg

Grounding wire... etc....

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

Final sanding and cleanup...

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

Preps

IMG_1507.jpg

Brown pore filling (same as bursts just a different color).

IMG_1498.jpg

Closeup...

IMG_1509.jpg

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
First sealer coat is sprayed over the entire instrument including the top!
Now you can see what I meant by flames popping out after finishing.... that's a pretty good candidate for conversion... LOL

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

I'll continue soon with the more interesting stuff such as the P90's and the illusive 50's gold top finish.

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
Preeb: Are the GT's flamed under the paint? I always wondered but I've never seen one refinished. I'd think nowadays Henry would make sure good flame maple never got painted. That'd be a waste of good resources ;-> How do you find out so much of these little details? You always amaze me with such stuff.

I also can't wait to see how you get the gold top paint to tarnish. My '58 had a bit of spiderweb crazing and the sweat made it oxidize in places nicely. I have heard there was actually copper in the paint that when exposed to moisture would turn it green. We'll see what the master reveals. Thanks.

telemcCaster

Tele-Holic
This is interesting Gil, Thanks for posting it. I love the sound of P90's, it is probably my favorite pickup.

Let me know if you run out of that soft maple, a sawyer just came over to show me some and claims to have a barn full of it.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Preeb: Are the GT's flamed under the paint? I always wondered but I've never seen one refinished. I'd think nowadays Henry would make sure good flame maple never got painted. That'd be a waste of good resources ;-> How do you find out so much of these little details? You always amaze me with such stuff.

I also can't wait to see how you get the gold top paint to tarnish. My '58 had a bit of spiderweb crazing and the sweat made it oxidize in places nicely. I have heard there was actually copper in the paint that when exposed to moisture would turn it green. We'll see what the master reveals. Thanks.

Yeah, many of them had figured maple under the hood.
They used leftover stuff from the high end models but never with a center joint. 3 and even 4 pieces were glued together...
I thought it would be a nice touch to do a burst type matched top just to pay respect for the instrument (-;

I'm not aging this '56 LP, so no crazing and no green oxidation..
I can show this in another build though.
The particles are mainly bronze and they frequently used the same guns in the gold spray booth (it was a separate booth) for both the color and sealer clear coats, so a lot of the particles are also present in the top layers (it's a waste of time trying to clean a GT gun...LOL) and will give the greenish hue with time. The dark green in the cracks comes from the exposure of the bronze layer itself and is just plain oxidation that can be easily done in the relic process. It's the greenish hue that I mentioned above that is very hard to imitate.