1959 Les Paul Build

jonson

TDPRI Member
I bought the CMT version of the Amana block about twelve years ago and some good points and some not so good. 80mm dia is not good as you say Gil and they all show it on their sites with the bearing at the bottom which leaves a lot of cutter sticking above the work, so much better with the bearing at the top and dropping the block down into the table. You need strong wrists on the feed in, or you need to feed off a guide finger as it can kickback quite hard. The good point is speed with one pass and 12/4 sided throwaway tips giving a lot of life but, if you mic up a new set of cutters there is normaly a few thou difference between them and that does leave lines round the cut at times. I stopped using mine about 8 years ago and went back to the overhead router which is the route you are going down Gil. Throwaway tip cutters as in Trend rota tip etc is the way I go. In the overhead this cutter at 19.05mm dia by 49.05mm long quite happily takes 1/4 inch off a swamp ash body with ease. No kickback and a very good finish. Plunging the pockets, then Down and Upcut spirals working off a pin is good and if its a body veneered both sides then an Upcut/Downcut all in one I find is good with no tearout anywhere. Hopefully your building work has started and you are heading down the overhead route where 2 jigs/30mins and a tele body is done with no pin holes anywhere unless you want them that is. The pics of cutters should be easy to understand which is which.
Best regards and thanks for some good reading Bro.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 125

sasparilla

TDPRI Member
Looks really awesome!

Iam researching wich material the Stud bushings of the Tailpiece were (i mean the 1" long original vintage)

Is it steel or Brass?

I couldnt find a proper answer to that yet.

'59_Standard

Tele-Holic
Click on Advanced Search. Put Preeb into the User name box. Put Insert into the Keyword, box, click on the 'Show results as posts' icon and it'll show the posts on inserts.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Looks really awesome!

Iam researching wich material the Stud bushings of the Tailpiece were (i mean the 1" long original vintage)

Is it steel or Brass?

I couldnt find a proper answer to that yet.

It was called "Mild Steel" back in the days with added lead (easier to machine and smoother on the bolts) and is very hard to find today.
The steel industry has changed a lot since the 50's and most of the original materials are scarce + the new raw metal supplies are not as pure as they were back then suffering from a high percentage of contaminators due to recycling (good cause bad results (-;).
You can still get pure mild steel from special suppliers (Army grade, usually recycled from old WW2 war ships) or find a close match in todays materials (1004 or 1006 are kind of close).

melomanarock

Tele-Holic
It was called "Mild Steel" back in the days with added lead (easier to machine and smoother on the bolts) and is very hard to find today.
The steel industry has changed a lot since the 50's and most of the original materials are scarce + the new raw metal supplies are not as pure as they were back then suffering from a high percentage of contaminators due to recycling (good cause bad results (-;).
You can still get pure mild steel from special suppliers (Army grade, usually recycled from old WW2 war ships) or find a close match in todays materials (1004 or 1006 are kind of close).

how about a nice steel furnace right next to the new shop?

beach bob

Friend of Leo's
Unbeliveable. One word: unbeliveable.

Thanks. Why?

I think he means "unbelievably great work". I see Gaetano is in Italy; sometimes word usage doesn't quite translate from language to language. Being in Israel, I suppose you're aware of this already. I'm doing a bunch of supposing here, I suppose :D

His post reminded me of this, from The Princess Bride, which you should definitely watch with your kids. One of my favorite movies...

Keep up the fine work! :cool:

Gaetano

TDPRI Member
Thanks. Why?

Its so perfect that it feels almost unreal... That's the reason of the unbeliveable thing :)

If it wasn't for the headstock, everyone could have tought that you just snapped some photos of the real deal Gil :)

Congrats as always for your truly unique mastery in building such masterpieces...The fading is great too, i'd love to get a similar one one day ;-)

EDIT - And oh yes, unbeliveable in Italy is like: too good to be true :)

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
I think he means "unbelievably great work". I see Gaetano is in Italy; sometimes word usage doesn't quite translate from language to language. Being in Israel, I suppose you're aware of this already. I'm doing a bunch of supposing here, I suppose :D

His post reminded me of this, from The Princess Bride, which you should definitely watch with your kids. One of my favorite movies...

Keep up the fine work! :cool:

Its so perfect that it feels almost unreal... That's the reason of the unbeliveable thing :)

If it wasn't for the headstock, everyone could have tought that you just snapped some photos of the real deal Gil :)

Congrats as always for your truly unique mastery in building such masterpieces...The fading is great too, i'd love to get a similar one one day ;-)

EDIT - And oh yes, unbeliveable in Italy is like: too good to be true :)

I know I know... just kidding.
You will... Gaetano (-;

Mack Guitarwork

TDPRI Member
An Jeff Beck Oxblood Les Paul? What a guitar!
I traded mine in 2005 for a PRS Custom, what a mistake.

But my biggest mistake was to trade my second-hand Les Paul,
that was made in 17. Juli 1977. On my birthday!!!

I'll never-ever want to sell any of my les pauls :)
Sorry for the off topic, great jobs Gil.
This is the most informative forum, thanks for sharing.