1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

For those who do not know who Susan Boyle is...
    Fascinating material indeed and I won't be surprised to see her shredding with a 335 too...

2. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

whenever i do casting or make molds i throw it in a vacume box, which for me is an airtight box hooked to the shopvac, the vacume sucks the air bubbles right out, ever try anything like that?

3. preeb

Oh... I never thought to go oral... LOL (-;
    The two component plastic dries in about 20 seconds so there isn't enough time to mix, inject and place it in the vacuum can. I'll try to figure out a way to do that but the vibrations do the trick very well. I made a batch of 16 molds with 0 issues so far.
    + if there is no direct escape rout for the air the vacuum will not work.
    Those M-69's have a complex shape around the screw holes and this is where the little bubbles get trapped.

4. madebydave

madebydave TDPRI Member

Gil, I had a similar idea for the logo with my last name.

[​IMG]

Pictures added to the Les Paul Build page.
    http://madebydave.yolasite.com

5. RyanC

RyanC TDPRI Member

Oh. My. God. :lol:

6. redozzman

redozzman TDPRI Member

That is hilarious, you are the McGyver of the luthier world:cool:

7. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

With all that vibrating you'd think they might Prematurely Evacuate from their molds. :D

Very inventive Gil.

8. preeb

Regarding plastics...
    this little piece of plastic "fell through the cracks" during the build posts so maybe I'll give it the spot light for a second... after all it makes a little difference too (-;
    I'm talking about the switch tip. I had the original material ordered a while back in a 1/2" thick sheet because I wanted to turn it instead of molding it, but the color was too light for a "correct" look. The original tips, when new, were actually light creme (same like the sheet I ordered) but the beautiful amber color of the aged originals is a mandatory item even on NOS finish guitars.
    So... it took a long while and I eventually got the color I wanted and I'm now threading and turning those little gizmos to get a 100% perfect repro tip.

Note the color difference between the RI tip (it's subtle but it's there)

[​IMG]

and the cheap looking molding line on the RI

[​IMG]

Size, shape and rounded edges are different too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it's crazy to invest so much time and effort in this but I do believe it makes a little difference... it even feels different between the fingers.
    I noticed that it's colder than the standard plastic since the material in denser (phenol formaldehyde resin (Catalin))

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  9. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

It definitely looks better. I know you get told this all the time, but I really appreciate all of the small details you focus on, not to mention the fact that you're so willing to share it with everybody.

10. redozzman

redozzman TDPRI Member

[​IMG]:D

11. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Oh...WOW, that was something else. I have just spent several hours a day for almost a week catching up with this build after stumbling across it. Not to mention the little side trips and the family stuff. I registered to see the pics and of course to ask dumb questions as I'm planning on doing a parts build Tele and am a little nervous. It will be decent money and my only electric once I sell the Fender to pay for it.

To watch this emerge from scratch to the beautiful instrument at the end was simply riveting. Yes I got crosseyed a few times... making hide glue or the minutae of Paf's for example, but I understand many love that and I see the reasoning here. Skill I can barely comprehend, let alone emulate. That's why we have experts after all. *grin*

Awe inspiring as many have said. To see people from all over the world chatting and questioning and answering and joking, sometimes in a half dozen different languages is wonderful. To see the joy and passion and generosity and love and perhaps just a pinch of insanity ( anyone in a creative field will get that ). What Gil gives and shows us all is humbling to say the least.

I once held and briefly played a '58 Tobacco burst and it was GORGEOUS and even if this one doesn't quite meet my ultimate colour match it is right up there in every other way. Hey I'm a Tele gal, but I love beautiful guitars.

A thread like this one makes me think that just maybe there's hope for this silly little planet after all.

Love and respect

Kristina

12. preeb

Thank you Kristina,
    Your post alone would have been a good enough reason for me to do this thread (is that correct english at all?).
    You made my day (-;

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  13. heinzlorenzo

heinzlorenzo Tele-Meister

Hey Preeb,
    did you see that? There's some mad Australian calling you insane!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, your uncle Heinz will make sure everone knows that buying and disecting small vibrating devices to help make better mouldings of small plastic parts, and otherwise obsessing over and recreating every tiny detail of obsolete technology, is perfectly normal behaviour not containing even the smallest "pinch of insanity".

...and Krisls, please give my regards to Sydney. I've been away far too long.

14. preeb

LOL... all true B.... it's all true...
    I need to make an appointment... but I still haven't found the right doctor. Yet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  15. heinzlorenzo

heinzlorenzo Tele-Meister

16. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Greetings from Sydney gentlemen. It's a cool and overcast Monday morning here and been a damp past week or so, but still pretty nice all things considered.

I must admit when I looked 'that pic' I wondered...is that?... then read the explanation and thought, now 'that' is lateral thinking. I have on the odd occasion been called crazy in a gentle sort of way to which I grin and reply, 'ah... but I never claimed sanity'.

A little bit of crazy is a good thing
    luv
    Kristina

17. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So Preeb, I've lost track in and amongst all the first rate repro manufacturing...

Have you actually finished the guitar yet? :)

18. preeb

A few months ago (-;

19. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

And looked like this...

[​IMG]

20. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Ah look, there she is again xx :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.