1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Beautiful guitar.

Sorry for not passing through while in CA... I had a super tight schedule and we had to make it from LA to to San-Juan in 3 days...
    Maybe next time or when you come to Israel (-;
    I did manage to get together with Marc Rutters for a few hours on the way from San Diego to LA. It was great.

2. preeb

There's nothing to laugh about. I checked your link and really liked the design on the #3 guitar. How does the Red Cedar sound?

3. preeb

Yeah... it was amazing. I'll probably go back there some time in the future.
    It's against the law to get close to them. 100 yards is the limit and there's no way to get close enough to enjoy a physical contact.

4. preeb

Looking at those bobbins in the past always made we wonder how tight the tension was since the bobbin lips always bent on the edges.
    When I took it apart the tension wasn't tight at all.
    The CAB material was so soft and flexible that it got deformed from a low tension winded wire.

5. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

6. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

I have seen that too but have never had an actual one in my hand. I had heard the bobbin material was softer than the newer stuff. Makes sense now. Thanks!

7. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

Hey this is a great looking job too, what did you do for your templates?
    Love the headstock.

8. preeb

At last, back at home.
    It was a wonderful trip but it's even better to return home (-;
    Home is where the heart is...

I bought a lot of oil pore filler material and packed it safely but when it arrived I felt the bag was too light... I found a nice letter from the airport security saying they had to remove it and safely disposed it. I wonder how they safely dispose an oil pore filler... LOL

9. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Nice pics of the Whales, Gil - welcome back!

Did you see the news clip of the one on the boat?

:eek:

10. preeb

Yeah... I saw it on the news last night.
    They got too close to the whale and they are lucky they only lost their boat.

11. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

I don't know if you have seen these videos but you might like them. It's Paul Reed Smith talking about Ted McCarty (at least the first one) and things he does on his guitars. His demonstration of Brazilian Rosewood in the second video is very cool. You probably know all of it already but it's interesting watching to us amateurs. It's a little bit of a sales pitch but not too bad considering.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/99592-paul-reed-smith-master-luthier-must-see.html

12. preeb

Yeah... thanks Nathan. I saw them when they came out. Interesting stuff... he does make a great mimic of McCarty's voice.
    Did you get the part of the RW sap dripping on the hot room floor?

13. preeb

Yam yam...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

Yam yam? Is that by chance one you built? Or an original? By the way glad to see you back!

15. preeb

Thanks, It's nice to be back (-;
    This guitar started as a 1992 Standard which I converted into a 57 in 1994.
    I left it in the U.S. when I got back to Israel (after I lost my house in Sherman Oaks in the big 94 earth quake... long story).
    I forgot all about it until my uncle in Phoenix told me he found the guitar without any parts in a box when he was moving to a new house... so.. I brought it back and equipped it with my PAF's, M-69's and vintage correct parts and it came out great. I took the photo because I love the way it aged since 94... kind of an "under the bed" gold top color. I usually never get a chance to see how my guitars naturally age and this GT is beautiful.
    pure lacquer mixed with #256 CB bronze powder... the original formula (-;

16. madebydave

madebydave TDPRI Member

Gil, thank you for the compliment. The cedar guitar rings. I'm no luthier, so I can't explain exactly what I'm hearing. (More like a weekend carpenter that made a couple of toys for the kids.) When I was carving the top of it was the first time I heard the "Bell Like" sound when tapping any piece of wood. I shall record it and post it on my site soon. (When I find someone willing to play it for a recording.)

So for the record...

1. Butterfly guitar = High strung, like a mandolin.
    2. Maple acoustic/electric = Likes Bm, and just about all the other minor notes.
    3. Cedar acoustic = Rings like a bell. Good sustain.

http://madebydave.yolasite.com

17. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

Sorry about the house. I hope I never have to experience an earthquake. That's a great about the guitar though. Can't go wrong with a gold top.

18. preeb

Never mind the house... we were lucky to stay alive.
    It was in the dead middle of the epicenter and it was worse than a 7 flags ride.
    I'll tell you the whole story one day... it's a long one (-;

19. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

I did catch that. It's incredible to think about there being that much sap in wood to me somehow. That would have been something to see!

20. preeb

Oh it's real alright...
    When slicing BRRW board blanks from raw lumber I need to replace the saw blade as it gets dull from burned sap. It mostly happen with the darker heavier wood. I then use a heater (hot iron...LOL) to remove the sap from each board before it gets air dried and stabilized. The heat also helps to find the potentially bad boards which warp badly right away.
    I never tried to put it on fire and I'm not sure why McCarty thought it was dangerous for it to drip over the heating room floor... I use a very hot iron and except for the horrible sharp smell it never really ignited or anything.
    The reason for removing the sap is to prevent clogging of the sanding belt while radiusing the board, other than that the sap gets naturally crystallized in normal temperature and presents no issues to stability or tone.
    I know some manufacturers use microwaves to get this done but I'd never do that as it makes the entire wood brittle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.