1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

Real Life is just like the internet, you can't please everybody and some feel compelled to offer their opinion. Did he expect you to stop the madness, Wii out the fire and give the kids a lesson on respecting.

If this guy assumes you have no respect for instruments.

We had a guy pass away in our apartment complex and the maintence crew threw all his stuff out on the street including a Baby Grand Piano that they broke into pieces to make it easier to move, that seems like more of a travesty then burning necks and bodys that did make the grade.

2. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

I'm sorry, they only allow me a total of 150 in the Private Message mail box.
    I just cleared it.
    Yes it definitely looks like Honduran Or South American (same thing) to me.

3. preeb

Honduran is OK for the body. I prefer the lightweight African for the necks over the Honduran but it really depends on the batch you get and quality is a luck of the draw. When something sounds good I don't care where it's from... I just buy it all.
    In general, I personally prefer the tone of certain selected African Mahogany but I also got amazing real Honduran that taps and vibrates very nicely.
    No rules... but one thing is for sure... the Honduran today is not like it used to be years ago... it's softer and looks like it's from a faster commercially grown lumber.

4. heinzlorenzo

heinzlorenzo Tele-Meister

HA! So how do I place my order with you for this guitar? Actually, It's her little sister who's learning guitar! Thanks for the ideas. I like the one where she buys me a present! By the way, all except one of the ponies are rescue freebies! Near where I live, there's an old horse racetrack complete with stables, and apart from a nominal charge for a vet to make sure they're in good health once a year, and a donation towards maintenance, either money or labour, it's free to keep horses there! The only problem is that every so often, an extra one appears and someone needs to adopt it.

5. preeb

If I may ask B. , where do you live? It sounds like a nice place.
    I'm sure my girls would love to get a pony like that... every time we pass over a ranch they want to ride a pony...
    Here's a photo from last week...

[​IMG]

BTW, what did you eventually get her for a birthday present?

6. smokeydusky

smokeydusky TDPRI Member

Glad to see this thread has survived the build. Many thanks yet again for all the info and fun.

Is facing "out" historically correct? If the method varies, was facing out the method used for the burst you measured for this particular build?

7. preeb

Meet a newcomer to the PU building world.... my dear wife Teoni (-;
    She'll be responsible for all PU and harness builds for my (I should say "our" now I guess) guitars and just completed an intensive course in all the aspects of PU building for ALL Fender and Gibson PU's !!! I only now realize how much info there is to learn and practice to make all the different models over the different periods but I'm glad I passed it over to her because it is now well documented.
    She's a natural winder. I always believed that winding PU's is a work that girls can do much better than boys... She also looks so good with her delicate hands when she runs the scatter patterns... just perfect... She tells me she can't see what's so complicated about this... LOL... and truth is... she's right. She's also does most of our daughter's dresses and has a vast knowledge in sewing machines and techniques so I guess PU winding is really rather simple from her point of view... I mean... how many PU winders know how to operate sewing machines to make fancy dresses for little girls...

Amazingly, her PAF coils look much tighter and even spread then the ones I made (with my clumsy big fingers) and her first set sounds killer and very articulated (I'm going to keep this first set it in the family nostalgic box for the future...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love her very much too (-;

8. Sterling Sound

Sterling Sound Tele-Meister

Great news! But be careful, after 40 years of winding she may start looking like this:

[​IMG]

9. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

when can we start to place orders for pickups and other stuff?

Greetings a.

10. preeb

Aren't we all...

11. RyanC

RyanC TDPRI Member

Somehow this thread just keeps getting cooler. Cheers Gil!

12. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

Hi Guys. Well, i would like to ask some questions about pickups. Did you use 2 different baseplattes (spacing)?What spacing is vintage correct for paf? Another question is to magnetize the magnet. There is a picture in this thread (35 degree axis) where the magnet
    is on two magnets with someting beetwen the magnets? isnt it realy more? How can the magnet be magnetized correct?Thanks for help a newie

Greeting A.

13. preeb

original PAF's are 49.2mm spacing for Les Pauls.
    There was a narrower neck PAF version for other models as well.
    Many use a wider spacing on modern PAF's (50,52,53mm).

The two magnets are used to control the Gauss level of the charging magnet.
    I simply stack them (1,2 or 3 magnets) to get a stronger field when needed and use a plastic spacer to allow for easy removal (they stick very strongly to each other).
    The "off axis" degree is achieved by tilting the PAF magnet at the required angle for a few seconds before it's removed from the charging magnet.

14. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

and thats all what you do to charge the magnet?? only to put it for a while on the other magnets?how long do you need to charge a magnet?

15. preeb

Yes. I usually do this for about 20-30 seconds or so.
    OK... I guess I didn't go through and showed all the little steps... otherwise this thread would have been twice as long ... LOL
    Here's the missed charging part

The angled charging. You'll need to make sure you remove the bar at the same angle until it leaves the charger's field (about 10").

[​IMG]

To make sure the magnet bar is evenly charged across its width I use my magnetic field viewer. This will also show how the angle bends the field (-;

[​IMG]

16. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

wow.thanks.

17. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

oh yes, i can see how the angle bends the field. :)) LOL

18. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Never heard of a magnetic field viewer so I did a search. Man that's a cool little gizmo, and cheap too. So you dont actually use a gaussmeter but just go by your experience experimenting based on a set time? Found an interesting pic of using a tension guage to measure magnet charge strength. Probably not the most accurate way but I guess it's better than nothing.

[​IMG]

19. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

Nobody is asking this details. that means that i am the only user who dont understand this things. oh guys i am frustraded this weekend.
    Maybe you can help.How is the polarity? up south, down north or left south and right north?Sorry

20. preeb

No need for a Gauss-meter... it means nothing to me because I actually "fine tune" the magnets at final setup while I listen to the guitar. That's why I never solder the pu covers before the setup... and it's very easy to pull those long magnets out and degauss them a little. On this build I changed the design a little and instead of degaussing I used the angled pole axis so the PU's sounded perfect and there was no need for weakening the magnet bar.
    I started with a steeper angle and it was too weak so I finally settled on 35° which sounded balanced for my PU's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.