1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mkgearhead

mkgearhead TDPRI Member

For me, it's about Gil's attention to detail and his amazing craftsmanship. The man is an artist, not just a builder. He could make a cheeseburger and turn it into a 60 page thread.:lol:

2. paulskirocks

paulskirocks Tele-Holic

That's because he would replicate the cow!

3. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's

To answer Shephard,
    I think this thread is so popular for as much the fact that a Gibby build is so much more in the line of a sculpture, where as Strats and Teles are perfected tools.
    Both are well designed tools, however, neither is better at it's job, Fender's are like Stickley furniture, visually appeasing, well designed and functional. Where the Gibson (Les Paul) is a Queen Ann chair, elegant, and stunning to look at, yet functional and surprisingly comfortable to sit on. (like the one my great grandfather made for my great grandmother)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Originally Posted by Shepherd
    I have a question, not for Gil but for the group as a whole. Before anyone goes Rambo on me I want to make it clear that this is not in any way a knock against this build. Ok for the question, why is there so much interest in this build? A LP on a Tele forum, I was expecting a mob carrying torches heading for his house but just the opposite happened. I mean if your into LP's there's half a dozen builds going on at any given time at the other forum by some really talented builders. But if you post a Tele build there your lucky to get a dozen replies but this has close to 3000 here. Gil's Tele and Strat builds were done with the same attention to detail and quality but dont even come close to the popularity of this build . The only thing I really missed about this build was the top carve. I know it's more labour intensive but I myself was really looking forward to seeing it done by hand. Otherwise it was a fantastic build, I learned alot and am actually sad that it's over. But what did it for you guys, what made it so special for you personally

First and foremost, I am a Gibson guy with a special love for the LP standard. I have had one since the middle 70's, find it easier to play, and just plain love 'em. So this thread was special to me. Secondly, this forum makes it easy to converse, unlike other LP forums where I feel a bit uneducated compared to the regulars, and I'll leave it at that. Lastly, I think there is a bit of mystique to a Gibson that sets it apart from a Fender guitar. You have the set neck, carved top, stop tail bridge, binding, fancy inlay,etc. The Fender is a more utilitarian piece. ( he ducks).
    There is room for a bit of error built into the design. You don't need to be schooled in the "art" of luthiery as much to create a fine end product. Most guys here can make a nice tele as we see everyday. I hope I don't start a flame war here, but I think there is a hierarchy to luthiery depending on the skill level needed to build them. Archtops like Stromberg, D'Angelico, Benedetto, and similar folk lie at the top, acoustic guitars in the middle, and electric planks more towards the bottom. We could then get into dulcimers and such, but I think I get my point across. The Les Paul ( again just my opinion) lies about in the same area as steel strings. That is not to say that a beginner can't make one, as I would easily be proved wrong. I saw a guy make his first two guitars which were copies of PRS including the inlay. They were unbelievable. He of course, was a specialty woodworker for Ford in the modeling dept.
    What made this special to me were the minute details that was put into it. I appreciate it but could never bring myself to be that patient with things. I will say that having a couple of LP's under my belt now, some of that mystique is gone.

5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Yep, it is different and interesting; complexity is a factor too, I think. There are more pieces of wood in the neck alone than an entire tele.

6. QuickDilation

QuickDilation TDPRI Member

Brought the picture into photoshop and bad some adjustments that I obviously can seed where done to the photo out of the book... I have to say Gil you nailed it... I could have done things to match it perfectly but I did exactly what I knew was obviously done to the Bust in the book... Amazing Match!

[​IMG]

Here is gils orginal:

[​IMG]

7. doncha_magoso

doncha_magoso Tele-Meister

I must say that it doesn't matter if it's a Telecaster Forum more than knowing that it's a Forum where people share what they like, what they expect to do and what they dream about.

It's way more important to feel the dedication tht Gil put into this proyect and how he shares his knowledge, than knowing that it's a LP into a TC forums; it's music what we care about, it's instruments what we like, it's people in here that makes everything worth.

Thanks a lot Gil for sharing this amazing thread and thanks a lot for the ton of info you share with us.

Cheers!

8. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

You make some very good points. Even though I'm a die hard tele player, I agree with your hierarchy of guitar construction. Teles are VERY utilitarian.

I get a kick out of reading this thread, not only for the benefit of watching a master luthier in action, but also because one can learn things about other guitars from observing the details of Gils painstaking efforts.

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Gil,

I am a fledgling builder currently working on learning the frustrating intricacies of applying amber shellac to an Esquire build. It will hold a Don Mare 3 speed Stingray. My heart pounds every time I think about playing it when it's done. I just wanted to say thanks for this huge gift you have given us. In a world full of greed, here lands this gift of knowledge and techniques all freely given. Wow. I am humbled. I believe the true value of this thread is the inspiration it has given me and probably many others to take on new projects and learn new skills. The injection of energy here is palpable. To give is to receive.

Shalom,
    Barncaster

10. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Chitta just left... no changes... he was trying to convince *me* it was perfect.
    (I didn't tell him anything before the test in order to keep it unbiased).
    He played it for about 3-4 hours out of joy!!!
    I couldn't get the video camera to capture the video with an external microphone capturing the audio... so we did 9 high quality sound clips and a long raw video with an OK sound. The video and mp3 samples will be posted very soon.
    I have nothing to say... I'll let you judge the tone yourselves.

11. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Not looking forward to the video and mp3s at all...;)

12. Strongpersuader

Strongpersuader Tele-Meister

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

All I can say is that I feel just like a Pavlov's dog waiting for these sound and video samples. I'm drooling already...............:twisted:

13. paulskirocks

paulskirocks Tele-Holic

It's thanks to this thread that I have Les Paul templates sitting here, eagerly awaiting an order of mahogany, maple, and rosewood... Thanks again for this awesome build... I have followed it from the beginning...

I won't be fabricating my own stuff, though!

14. Necksnapper

Necksnapper TDPRI Member

I..can't... hardly ... stand it....Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet?... How bout now?

15. WickedGTR

WickedGTR Friend of Leo's

16. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

The clips are huge... They are slowly uploading to youtube and I'm hitting bed...
    Tomorrow morning I'll post them in the forum.... if you really can't wait... just check my gilyaronguitars videos on youtube in about 2-3 hours to see if it's there already.
    Two videos... one is a 9 part high quality audio and the other is a long video with raw material of Chitta messing with the burst. Good night everybody.

17. expo

expo TDPRI Member

I googled Les Paul headstock, its from Gruhns website, I think a 1960 for sale, follow the link in the original picture.

http://www.gruhn.com/features/LesPaul275/EB5770.html

I always liked the fragile looking script, but you are right there are thicker looking ones...but not so often.
    If your inspected one looked like that, go for it.:D

18. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

First audio clip is up! :D

wavy gravy likes this.
  19. missingastring

missingastring TDPRI Member

That sounds amazing!!!!

20. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

yeah,:cool:rock on

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.