1959 ES-335TD proto build

anthony_z

NEW MEMBER!
Hi Gil, I have been reading this thread with great interest and appreciate all the work that you and Ken McKay put into it.

You provided a picture above of your mortise cutting jig. I have a couple of questions regarding the mortise and tenon angle. Am I correct that that the mortise is cut to the plane of the neck? Second, how did you ensure that your mortise jig follows the plane of the neck? (From the pictures, it is hard to tell).

Lastly, I understand that Ken McKay no longer sells laminated double cutaway tops/backs and sides. Do you or anyone know a good source to obtain these now?

I appreciate you taking the time to read the above and respond.

Regards,
Anthony

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Sweet, If I were to have to choose, I'd go with the sunburst above. And the label inside is a real nice touch!

Beautiful...

I just started my way through this thread, but as i have found out from previous preeb builds i am in for a heck of a ride!! Thanks for sharing so much knowledge sir! :)

Wow, these look amazing!!!

That's awesome dude! Seriously though, your work is very beautiful!

Thank you!

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Preeb i've been wondering about that planer attachment for the drill press you used in your other build threads. do you trust that for bigger jobs like planing body blanks for just for smaller stuff like headstocks?

i ask because although i had seen that attachment and wanted one i figured they were some sort of gimmic that wasnt really usefull, then i started reading your threads and got to thinking that might be allot more convenient than using a router setup for thicknessing bodies.

Only for headstocks. I have a big mammoth drum sander for the massive jobs.
Routers are more dangerous and I only use them when I have no choice (-;

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Gil try using a program called Ableton for grabbing your sound, it uses video aswell. you can sync and mess with it. all types of fx's to use. and great for putting a tune together also. Diggin your build. My unk has a Dot and though a cheaper Epi ver of a 335 its still a lovely gat. You were the guy that got me into building aswell. only problem was you make it look so easy and in reality it can get a little tricky :) Thanks for sharing... **** just realised this is a very old thread.. o well still applies :lol:

Thank you!
Things can get tricky only once.. once solved it's easy (-;

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Hi Gil

I know this thread is old, but where/how did you get your ROSS sander outside the US? I would like one myself.

20130826_151729.jpg
Assuming that is a ROSS in the background.

It's a Ridgid. Got a couple of those in the U.S.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Hi Gil, I have been reading this thread with great interest and appreciate all the work that you and Ken McKay put into it.

You provided a picture above of your mortise cutting jig. I have a couple of questions regarding the mortise and tenon angle. Am I correct that that the mortise is cut to the plane of the neck? Second, how did you ensure that your mortise jig follows the plane of the neck? (From the pictures, it is hard to tell).

Lastly, I understand that Ken McKay no longer sells laminated double cutaway tops/backs and sides. Do you or anyone know a good source to obtain these now?

I appreciate you taking the time to read the above and respond.

Regards,
Anthony

Yes. Follows the board plain.
Things have changed a lot since this thread has been posted. I use a pin router jig that holds the body in the correct fixed angle. One angle for an early 5 (low ABR-1) and another for a 59-60.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Preeb, I still love this thread. I wonder if you would be generous enough to share the file you used for the orange label?

I have a 1972 335 that is missing the label.

Thanks !

Here.. but I'm not sure this will work for your Giby (-;

Attachments

• GILYARON.jpg
    GILYARON.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 270

Felipe

TDPRI Member
Seriously speaking now, the "time machine" work that a lot of builders and factories promise, is not delivered by anyone at this level, but by Gil.
The amount of care and detail put in these builds is nothing short of spectacular, and definitely shows on the final result.
It's funny how a lot is spent trying to compensate the fact that some details are left aside. Specially pickups. The fact the guitars are not built exactly they way they were leaves space for things like the aftermarket pickup frenzy, were a lot of makers are promising PAF sounding pickups on incorrect guitar frameworks. Meaning that you have to compensate on the pickups the fact you are missing very important small pieces of the sonic puzzle.

Congrats Gil. I'm a huge fan of the dedication you put on your builds, on your work. And whoever had a chance to play on any of these guitars know what I mean. Like a friend who played mine, he said: yes, it takes only 5 seconds...;)

telemcCaster

Tele-Holic
Dave emailed me with a question and I thought I would post the answer here too.
He asked:
I stumbled across your 335 build on the telecaster forum from a couple
of years back. How did you go about protecting that gorgeous '59
while taking a plaster cast of it? It never even crossed my mind
before, but that is the most direct method of getting the contours
right isnt it?

I used the very thin plastic wrap that you stretch around packages. This is a very old method to copy an existing arching of a stringed instrument. Back in the 18C, before plastic, wax was probably used.

supermario

NEW MEMBER!
Hey guys, great work to both of you. i have two quick question; did gibson (in 1950's) had only one press mold for both back and top? and did they use this top/back mold for ES330 too?