1959 ES-335TD proto build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, May 3, 2011.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Ken, I really like the look of the shop, being a bass player it looks like you are not building any more basses recently (-;

2. sltGroove

sltGroove TDPRI Member

Dunno, might be a real thing for an delicious burger with excellent aroma. With appropriate yuppie-audience kinda multiplier-event.

Con FB & Tweeter ...:D

I'd prefer an guitar for 3,4K € ....

3. preeb

No lighter fluid needed... it comes covered with nitro too(-;
    What's a 347? is that the smaller body version of the 335?
    Did it sound bad because of the size?

4. sltGroove

sltGroove TDPRI Member

Nope - it was just dead. Binding looked cheapo , lot of gaps, horrible work. For 3400 € :(

I had an mid-seventies 347 TDS in my hands- and that was top model, sounded very well-
    ( I think it was the in the same time when Gibson presented an solidbody L-5 ). Those were nice guitars. Tobacco sunburst, gold hardware.

I'm not so good in describing - but the difference among those two guitars just horrified me.

EDIT: here a pic of a guitar similar to one I had in my hands: on the guitar I had was an bigsby TR, all in gold, like on the archtops ....

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/graphics/ES3471980S.jpg

5. preeb

Oh... OK... I now remember that model...

6. sltGroove

sltGroove TDPRI Member

't was an off topic. Not so important . That Standel 520-C I mentioned in the mail was the best 335-alike guitar I've ever seen. Never had an golden age Gibby in my hands.

7. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    I have some things going for the double basses but mostly in the planning stage. I Have a nice William Tarr Gamba model I am making. Like this beauty...the bass that is, not Christina (Hoock) :D although she is good to look at too.

I drew the plan and have some nice wood set aside. Bhorat will be familiar with that one. It is gamba shaped and very powerful...a workhorse.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  8. Emperor-TK

Emperor-TK TDPRI Member

Interesting. What year was the crappy 347? My '79 347 defies all the "Norlin is junk" common wisdom (as do some other late 70's/early 80's 347's I've played). The craftsmanship is impeccable. It's really dressed up nicely too, with all the extra binding, tobacco burst, and ebony board. I only have two complaints with the model: One, the body shape is at the point where it drifted the most from the classic 335 shape, and two, the stock pickups sound like a wet blanket.

The interesting thing about the pickups is that they are supposed to be Dirty Fingers, but this is what confuses me. I've owned a couple of guitars with dirty fingers that sounded great. I currently have a 335s (solid body) with DF's too, which also really sounds nice. The DF's in these guitars sound super hot, but super rich also. Lots of high end sparkle despite the 14-16K resistance on the coils. This may be the result of the unusual design of the magnets. DF's use three ceramic magnets with SN-NS-SN orientation. In a sense, they are like two small P-90s shoved together to make a humbucker. The DF's from the 335s and other early 80's models have zebra coils and aren't potted. The alleged DF's in the '79 ES-347 have gold covers and are epoxy encapsulated (tarbacks), so I've never seen inside one to verify if it's the same construction as the 80's DFs though. Besides the DF's in my 347 and 335s, I currently have a loose zebra DF (that was broken and I rewound to spec) and a loose gold tarback DF in my parts box. They sound just like the ones in my guitars. The Zebra is rich and sparkly, with lots of output, the tarback is dull and bassy, with lower output.

So in short, I suspect that the earlier gold tarbacks in the early 347's weren't the same Dirty Fingers found in the later guitars (besides the cover and potting). And my 347 currently has home wound PAF style pickups in it. It's the only ES in my collection without stock parts on it. That's how much I dislike the early 347 "Dirty Fingers" pickups. :twisted:

-Chris

9. preeb

This photo grabbed my attention in more than one way (-;
    Good luck with the project. Must be a big job carving those plates.
    I'm sure B., being an English man, is familliar with a Tarr.

10. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Bhorat ?

[​IMG]

11. preeb

Yeah... him too.

12. bo 402

bo 402 TDPRI Member

Chris, the pickups from your ES 347 sound like the ones that came stock in a '76 Les Paul Custom I once had. They were high output but very dull - I'd say so dark as to be unusable, compared to the stock Gibson humbuckers (T-tops) of the period I had. IIRC those weren't called Dirty Fingers, but "Super Humbuckers.".

13. tangelolemon

tangelolemon Tele-Meister

I have an '84 ES-347 that had those "tarback pickups as you call them. They were dark and I didn't care for them that much. To add insult to injury, there were 250k volume and 100k(!) tone pots. Once I ripped all that out and replaced it all with some nice 500k pots, nice caps, and some Wolfetone Dr. V PAF-style pickups it was a lot more on target.

14. preeb

I worked a little on the PG sheets yesterday and had them glued with acetone and pressed. I'll be cutting the long (58-59) PG template and make the PG soon.
    I had to thickness the upper thinner white sheet to get the correct early look.
    It's interesting that the layers thicknesses during the early period weren't consistent.
    Some had the white layers almost identical and some didn't... well... most didn't (-;
    So I went for the average look like on this original guard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the pressed PG material. It has to be pressed flat for about 24 hours, otherwise it will warp as the acetone evaporates (don't ask how I know this (-;)
    It appears thinner than in the photos above because it's not beveled yet.

[​IMG]

15. exluthier

exluthier Tele-Meister

Preeb, looking at those pictures it almost appears that the bevel on the pickguard is scalloped? Could that account for some of the variation in stripe thickness as well? Wonderful build as always. This is really making me miss my 345.

16. preeb

I measured the original guards in the PU cutout area where it is cut square.
    The bevel surface was initially straight but on some guards it appears a little curved, probably due to shrinkage.

17. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

OOPs:oops: I should have wrote Bharat, as in Bharat Khandekar.

Blonds or as the Brits say Blondes. Why do we love them so...?:?:

There was "Beauty Of The Burst", now there is "The Beauty of the Blond".

Wood is not homogeneous. Even when veneer is rolled of the same log there are difference is color tone and figure. A mismatched top and back look as odd as a burst top with a cherry back.
    [​IMG] [photo link of Tom H from Ann Arbor MI]
    When making a "blondworthy" body the veneers need to match in color tone and grain pattern and figure. Here is an example of a two perfectly good plates, yet I would not use them in the same blondworthy body.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

And here is a back that matches the top in grain, color tone and texture. This is hard to photograph with my not-so-good camera.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. preeb

PU cavities are routed following the neck plane.
    I start with the main cavity

[​IMG]

and then do the secondary PU ears routs. I'll use the ears template attachment with the symmetrical cuts for both PU's

[​IMG]

The tenon extrudes a bit in front of the neck and needs to be chiseled flush with the top and board

[​IMG]

Like this

[​IMG]

ABR clearance is checked again after the neck joint glue has set. All is well @ ~11.5mm.
    I'll be able to get a very low action when the bridge is touching the body

[​IMG]

STP holes drilled

[​IMG]

Ground wire channel is drilled from the STP hole to the control area

[​IMG]

Ground wire...

[​IMG]

Inserts are lightly waxed and hammered in. These are the correct long 1" mild steel type.

[​IMG]

Like that (sorry for the poor photos...)

[​IMG]

Test fit for the studs and STP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heel leveled down to the body. First with my sharp Japanese friend

[​IMG]

and sanded with 220 flat bar

[​IMG]

Like this. Note that it still needs to be shaped a bit to create a fluent line with the body end

[​IMG]

Done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guitar weighs 6.16lbs so I expect it to be 8lbs when completed and assembled

[​IMG]

20. preeb

58 long guard layout is printed, glued to the HDF board and band-sawed close to the line

[​IMG]

A little spindling and sanding

[​IMG]

and the paper is sanded off

[​IMG]

Done.... well... I hope so.
    I had two original guards traces and they (you guessed right...) not 100% the same.
    They were both a little shrunk and warped so I may need to get more samples (feel free to email me if you have one). For now I'm happy with this template since I compensated a little for the warpage...etc...

[​IMG]

A little thin CA glue applied to the sharp corners of the template to help it survive up to 5 uses at best.
    This photo gave me a vertigo....

[​IMG]

My pg sandwich remained almost 100% flat this time (-;
    Roughly cut to shape

[​IMG]

and double taped to the template

[​IMG]

I start with a straight 3/8" dia bit for the PU areas

[​IMG]

and use the monstrous 60° overkill and overpriced bit for the bevel... LOL

[​IMG]

I set the engine to slow speed and run the material quickly to get the textured chamfer lines seen on all the originals.

[​IMG]

Bad shot... sorry... try to see the texture with the cutting lines if you can.
    This material is great and it even shines on the bevel cut.

[​IMG]

Mounting hole drilled

[​IMG]

and chamfered

[​IMG]

Like that

[​IMG]

Final job is the run a smaller diameter bit to get the correct dia in the PU ring corners on the guard

[​IMG]

Done

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.