1959 ES-335TD proto build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, May 3, 2011.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Yes... It doesn't need to be Mahogany, the important thing is to NOT use glue on the end grain. End grain doesn't hold glue very well and that crucial spot holds the rims at their weakest spot where they meet.
    They probably had more Mahogany leftovers than maple (-;

2. preeb

LOL... the last thing you want on a 50's 335 is to have a perfectly symmetric body and horns.

Look at this photo... there's a frame in there although a bit hard to see

[​IMG]

3. preeb

I found this:
    http://www.variac.com/

Is that it?

4. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

5. cjburr

cjburr Tele-Meister

6. cjburr

cjburr Tele-Meister

yes, those are the ones. should have refreshed my page when I got back, didn't see all these posts.:oops:

7. preeb

8. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

You've already answered what I thought the reason of the Mahogany blocks purpose was as my first question. My second would be: I know you are particular when it comes to Grain Orientation of wood on a build, what are your thoughts on the how the Maple Block should be cut/aligned. Or doesn't matter?

9. preeb

I prefer flat cuts for everything unless strength is crucial (Gibson Necks), but then again... it's not mandatory.

10. heinzlorenzo

heinzlorenzo Tele-Meister

Gil has answered this, but just to add that you never can normally see unless you're doing major repairs, but I've seen one 50's 335 with a mahogany top block as well. The ends of the maple were both square and glued to the mahogany. The way Ken has done it makes an infinitely more stable neck joint though. Easy to see why Gibson dropped the separate top block.

11. preeb

Thanks for that input B.
    I only assume it was a 58. Have you seen or heard of 59's with Mahogany top block?

12. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

I have a question for anyone's opinion on this operation. How do you think it was done. I wonder if the ribs were cut to length at the tail end first and then joined to the mahogany block. The the cutaways were clamped. This is admittedly a difficult thing to do. It feels like a bit of a fight to get the joint tight. I know they use de-sta-co clamps now. What about the 50.s?[​IMG]

13. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Gil what do you think of this?

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/quartersawn.htm

I know it's not a definitive answer but it's quite interesting..

14. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

I have seen this. It works. I don't have one though.

15. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

There is a lot to this, and as Bharat wrote me once, the acoustics of the body does not always translate to the way the guitar will eventually sound. There is no substitute for trial and error.

16. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Thanks, I am going to need some help designing and building my hot plate press. Now I know where to turn.

17. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

And those blocks help the ribs to conform the the plywood rim mold. But they are very rigid and they only go so far. In the cutaway section, where the radius is 1 inch at the top of the horns, there is no chance...they go where they want.

This is why the mold is just cut away there and doesn't follow the pattern. If one horn gets a bit higher then so be it.

18. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Nick, I can see the advantage here but one overlooked point is that the waist area keeps getting cooked at full power when the bouts need it most. If NASA had designed it there would be 3 blankets and 3 thermocouples and controllers. ;) Interesting though.

19. preeb

I assure you... for a given piece of wood, it would be stiffer and harder to bend when QS.
    I had a tough time finding maple that is very stiff when used flat.
    If you'll check the 1950 Esquire build here on TDPRI you'll see a trussrodless neck that is not QS and still holds firmly and stays straight under string tension. This is the type of maple that I use for all pre-CBS builds in flat (mostly) or rift and usually there's hardly any need to tighten the TR.
    I've been lucky to find the best continues maple stock (TMHO) only 5 minutes away from my house (-;
    I've been told by the lumber yard lady that it comes from Canada and she even lets me have first picking choice when new stuff arrives... but 90% of that lumber is "gold" anyway. All the 8/4 boards I buy come flat from the mill so some are flat and some are rift.

20. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Oh what the heck... a geeky graph. No substitute for ears but maybe an interesting aside to what Gil is saying.

I tapped and recorded them using a spruce hammer for high frequencies and then a piano felt hammer for lower. I averaged all of them and analyzed the taps using fft software. I represented this in a log graph to help represent what the ears hear. You can see a peak on the HM (edit note, SM) block at around 1200 Hz that is not present on the SM. And the bodies have no necks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.