1959 5E3 value??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JonLenzer, Oct 21, 2021.

1. JonLenzer

JonLenzer TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have a 1959 5E3 Deluxe that belonged to my father. He bought it around 1961 and it really hasn't been played much. In fact, it sat in a closet for many years. I recently had it revived and am curious about the value, and how much of that may have decreased based on the work done. I would never sell this, and love playing through it, as it sounds great.

The cabinet was stripped down to the wood years ago, but I've recently had it recovered, handle replaced, and name plate replaced. The filter caps have been replaced (I have the original Astron Minimites), and the death cap disabled and a grounded 3 prong power cord added. Tubes replaced. Rest is all original (power transformer, output transformer, wiring etc . . .). Serial number stamped on Chasis is D 06973, indicating January 1959. Tube Chart is a bit damaged, but does show a date stamp of 'IA' indicating January 1959. The persons that did the recover damaged the tube chart a little, which kinda pissed me off, but it's still readable with all the relevant info of authenticity.

Original Jensen P12R, with 2200852 stamped, indicating December 1958, so that lines up with the amp dates. Speaker has been reconed by Weber Speakers, and sounds great.

My guess is somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,000. Does that sound right?

Attached Files:

2. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm sure you'll get a wide range, but with the recover I'd think more in the $2000-2500 land. Stuff is hot right now and prices are fluctuating a lot, so it really depends on the buyer at that moment and how many other examples are available.

King Fan likes this.
  3. JonLenzer

Thanks. The cab was stripped sometime long ago, so my options were to leave it as painted black wood, or have it recovered. I opt'ed to have it restored to as close to original as possible. It really sounds great, and for now have put a greenback in so I don't damage the Jensen with my experimentation on the tonal qualities and power of the amp :). Here is what it looked like tucked in a closet for 30 years. It had character for sure, but did want to get it back to as close to original as possible.

Attached Files:

4. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

1. I'm jealous. But it is SO COOL that you have your Dad's amp and are playing. These things are meant to be used.

2. The electronic the mods wouldn't affect value that much, as they're pretty much required fornsafe operation these days. It's the need to recover it that is the biggest issue. If it was done well, then it shouldn't be a huge hit.

The $2000-2500 range seems about right given all that, but that will change over time. If you're not going to sell it, i wouldn't worry about the value - except maybe if you're going to insure it or something.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Is the original handle, faceplate, etc. missing (don't know where they are?).

And do you still have the original tubes, if the amp didn't get a lot of okay they could still be good.

Antoon likes this.
  6. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I wouldn't worry about the value if your keeping it and the market is in such a state of flux right now prices are all just predictions... If you had the original speaker reconed, assumably with a new voice coil and spider then Id just use it like it was meant to. Your not going to affect the originality value of a vintage speaker that's already been reconed and if you damage it, just recone it again. Congratulations on a lovely amp! Is there a small piece of tape inside the chassis with someones name on it?

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Do you still have the original grill cloth and baffle?

8. JonLenzer

Baffle is original, grille cloth has been replaced.

9. JonLenzer

There is indeed a small piece of tape inside the chassis with a name on it.

10. JonLenzer

Thanks for all the info. My main concern was the need to insure separately. Although, if it were stolen, it's not really 'replaceable' given the sentimental value.

11. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

It’s your dads amp, it’s priceless.

Crobbins, Axis29, sax4blues and 2 others like this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Imho, your amp is worth 50% of the value of an excellent condition an all-original example. As Corliss 1 notes, there is a wide range of asking prices. I would refer to Reverb.com’s history of sales. For insurance purposes, I would insure it for as much as $5K based on what I see for asking prices. Selling price??? That would be a bit lower than that at this point in time.
    Nice amp.

Nightclub Dwight and King Fan like this.
  13. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

What is the name?

Fantastic that you have your dad's 5e3:)

14. JonLenzer

Agreed.
    Your guess is as good as mine! BXZNqv7WQOmnpNdpqP52Eg.jpg

Intubator likes this.
  15. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Lily :D In many vintage Fenders.

16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Agree with corliss1 - very cool indeed!

Assume that tweed amp was stripped and painted black (like many others "back in the day") to look more like the "new" blackface series amps. While that is a part of the amp's history, I like your decision to restore to it's original tweed appearance. I would probably have done the same thing, Not actually "original" of course, but now a part of that amp's history as well.

I just think that still owning and enjoying your dad's vintage Fender amp is about as wonderful as it gets and I would cherish that amp like no other....

JonLenzer and Wally like this.
  17. JonLenzer

Thanks for all the feedback! I will indeed cherish and enjoy this amp.

Side note, he also had a Les Paul Jr bought around the same time. It suffered much more than the amp, and was stripped down to the wood. However, I'm having it restored as well. Needed new frets, a little bit of wood work for the bridge posts, but did retain a hint of the Gibson logo on the headstock. Don't have any of the original hardware either. I've always been a strat player, but I know that this one will be my new fav when it's done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Crobbins, Intubator, Asmith and 3 others like this.
  18. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Holic

Awesome . I’m the worst with pics, but please show some pics of that jr when it’s redone

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Friend of Leo's

Very cool. My damn parents went on vacation and all I got was this lousy t-shirt...

JonLenzer, Intubator and monkeybanana like this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Just curious — Did you ask the person who revived the amp for an estimate of its value? If so, what was that value?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.