1958 Les Paul

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tonetele, Oct 18, 2020 at 8:42 AM.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I hope this clears that 1958 post. Guy seems genuine. Hope I got it right.

Hope you get something from this. Guy seems genuine.
    Comments please.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  2. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I watched both of his videos on this guitar. I'm afraid he's going to screw it up. When he pulls pieces of the bridge pick-up bobbin out of the route, all I can think is "NO, STOP NOW AND CALL A PROFESSIONAL!!!"

Torren61 likes this.
  3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

No, he's not a rookie. He buys old guitars at good prices, makes a lot of videos, some hyperbole laden then later lists the guitars on Reverb for triple the purchase price. But, takes offers at double the price.

It's a good little business model and likely fun if you're into old guitars.

4. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Isn't that what he did? When he saw the condition of the pickup, he put it back in and said that he would send it to a professional who specializes in restoration.

Also, his business model is even better than what was mentioned above. He not only makes money selling the guitars at a profit, but pretty much recoups his initial costs of the guitars from YouTube depending on the amount of views that he gets. Smart guy... He has figured out a way to do something that we would all love to do, and turn it into a profit.

richiek65, boneyguy and Telecastoff1 like this.
  5. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I’d love to see what this gets listed for if it gets listed up for sale. Definitely a cool looking guitar but he didn’t mention anything about the output jack being mutilated. Just a quick little blurb that said output jack.

Just another YouTube influencer pulling guitars apart and sending them elsewhere when things get complicated.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

"No, he's not a rookie."

He should keep his fingers off the test leads when taking readings :twisted:

7. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Exactly not a real way to getting a reading and still does it wrong. Then he’s surprised that the neck pickup is at 8. Do it properly and see what you get. He does have to get views though to get paid. So unscrewing a guitar may not get many hits.

8. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

The first time I saw this guy was on a You Tube video doing similar to an original '59 Bassman and got the imprssion he was some rich guys kid who'd found a hobby?.

9. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

I like his channel... it’s rare to see someone wade into the world of vintage gear with such humility. When he doesn’t know something or gets in over his head he says as much. As a bonus he’s an excellent player. To me that makes it much more palatable than most vintage gear ‘collectors’

10. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I don't know the guy, and had never watched his channel until the original time that the video was posted on here, but he could very well be making a nice living off of his YouTube videos.

My kids watch a lot of these stupid YouTube gamers. I have to laugh at myself for calling them "stupid", because many of them are now millionaires. Look up DanTDM; blue haired young man is worth $60 million!

saltyseadog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.