1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1958 Fender Tremolux

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kdmerchant, Jun 13, 2010.

1. kdmerchant

kdmerchant TDPRI Member

I may have an opportunity to purchase a '58 Tremolux in near mint condition, for about $2600. I have never spent this kind of money on an amp, and I have not heard or seen the amp. I do trust the seller, as I have purchased from him before and everything went well and was very well packaged.

I currently play a Tele through a '65 deluxe reverb reissue and a '67 vibrochamp.

Has anyone on the forum played through a '58 Tremolux or own one? If so, what are your thoughts on this particular amp. I am a long time lurker on the site and frequently come here for research, so I really appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. moondogz

moondogz Tele-Holic

3. 4 Strings

4 Strings Tele-Holic

Are the trannies, esp. the OT, original?

4. kdmerchant

kdmerchant TDPRI Member

Yes, I believe it is original except tubes. The leather handle tore and has been replaced, the old handle has been kept.

5. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Collector or player?

The 5G9 is a very unique amp. It's one of the few tweeds that sport a long tailed pair phase inverter. It's also a fixed biased design. The preamp is all tweed, but the output is all tolly. It has a nice breakup but has a lot more headroom than its tweed brethren that went before it. It's not the raunchy tweed deluxe like it's big brother the 5E9-A. The tremolo on these amps are possibly the best ever produced.

6. deluxe62

deluxe62 TDPRI Member

I have a 57, it is a pleasure to play. I think SnorkleMonkey's description of the amp is very succinct. I've heard people describe the amp as a deluxe w/tremolo. I don't think that is very accurate, they don't have the over the top overdrive. Tele's and Strat's sound wonderful through the amp. The larger cabinet (Pro size vs Deluxe size) have much better bass response, very tight and well balanced (to a point, after all they are only 18 watt amps...). $2600 is kind of high for the current market, but if the condition is really that good, and it speaks to you when you play it, you won't look back. I've recorded with mine, and played out (mikes necessary for most gigs...). sounds great with or without pedals.

7. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a winner, and we can't wait to see some pics. It might help too if you can post some pics prior to pulling the trigger. A few more eyes and opinions is always helpful, especially at this price range. Good luck!

8. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

All I can say is, "Get Some!"

As cool as Deluxes are I'd take a Tremolux any day of the weak above them. They have more headroom and low end. Generally slightly tighter sounding and with a killer tremolo.

Anyway I don't think you can really go wrong with any tweed from that era.

9. 59TweedVibrolux

59TweedVibrolux Tele-Holic

+1 For that Tremolux Love. Trem of Sweet Molasses.

If mint that's a great price !

Some of the herd - Big Boy up the back -

Attached Files:

10. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I also would prefer the fixed bias and the tremolo.

11. erlinger

erlinger TDPRI Member

I've been looking for the 5g9 version like that '58 Tremolux for about a couple of months now. Good examples are hard to come by. Tone wise I agree that it's different than a tweed deulxe. It's a bit like a brown deluxe. I've seen well used but all original examples going right at $2,500. Great tremolo. Do make sure the OT is original--I've seen a lot of tweed tremolux amps with replaced output transformers.

Mike

12. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Mmmm, the 5G9 has more headroom and smoother breakup than the 6G3. The 6G3 is a rude amp, perfect for doing covers of "Alabama". :D

13. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Banned

I've played through several other the years and I've build several.. It truly is one of the very best "tweed" Circuits Fender ever made. IMHO anyway.

But then a Deluxe Reverb is aweful darn nice too.

14. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I found one in a pawn shop in Virginia in the late '70s and gigged it a couple of years (road work) ... maybe the most toneful amp I ever owned. Can't remember what boneheaded move I made to get rid of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.