1957 vs 1967 Comparison

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Zercado, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Zercado

Zercado TDPRI Member

Here is an interesting video from Ask Zac...

2. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

Zac is always entertaining and informative. Two awesome guitars. The '57 gets my vote.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  3. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Holic

‘57 was a pretty good year for a lot of things, it seems.

aadvark likes this.
  4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I will take the 67 please.

landofahhs and telemnemonics like this.
  5. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

... and I take the '57.

Okay folks, both guitar are gone. Thread closed.

Bill, kent1113 and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Two beautiful blondes, I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed for eating crackers.

7. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The 67 would be perfect to pair up with my 67 Ampeg Gemini I .

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've commented at times that for vintage stuff if I had to pick a year it would be 1967.

For a Tele or Esquire I'd take the '67 over the '57 for a few reasons including neck shape, but I didn't watch the video because I'm no longer drooling over vintage gear infotainment.

Guitars, amps, cars, motorcycles, '67 was pretty great for all of them though motorcycle brakes and suspension not so much.
    I really like '67 for a Tele/ Esquire though, a favorite year, while the '56/'57 V necks I just can't play, and the year the Tele went toploader is also a big turnoff.

I went to the NYC vintage guitar show in maybe 1999 with $3000 cash looking for a maple cap Tele and there was indeed an nicely worn all original '67 Tele there for $2500.
    But that was around the beginning of all the really good fake vinage Fenders and the dealers there I knew were all noncommittal about how legit the guitar was.
    It looked fine to me and I'm a decent judge of vintage Fender, but it was more the dismay in the vintage market from the rise in fakes that fooled vintage dealers.

9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have a ‘67 maple cap.

It is a very good guitar

Wonderful neck that still had finish on the frets when I bought it for $250 in ‘73

10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Reggie Young's autograph...how cool is that?

aadvark likes this.
  11. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

While I've had many more 67 Teles/necks (late 60s in general), 56 and 57s are prob my fav neck shapes. ;)

That said, just wanted to point out that I've never seen or heard of a top loader 57 Tele. Maybe you meant to write "also 58" or similar before that remark... So, just clarifying. Top load Teles appeared in late 58.

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Who is Crackers?:eek::rolleyes::p:cool:

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Right “went toploader” was the next year but I’m not confident that a 57 with a neck I can’t play might not also be a toploader as vintage guitars get mixed and matched. I’m not much for memorizing the year of every Fender spec change, just ballparks. Funny all the vintage guitar gear spec change years I do retain though? As opposed to when my bills are due or my wedding anniversary?

I was looking at a 57 and a 59 Tele at Chelsea guitars in NYC, they were each $1400 and I liked the body of one and the neck of the other.
    Dan offered to sell me the neck & body of my choice for the $1400, no hesitation.
    Funny though I’m pretty sure I wanted the 57 maple neck which had just been refretted with extra jumbo wire.
    I don’t recall it being a V neck though, but it was 30+ years ago...

My only problem with a V neck is my bony fingers against the narrow edge doing butterfly vibrato. I didn’t have that technique 30 years ago.

I actually also have what has to be a 57 Esquire body I bought with a 73 Tele neck and several coats of paint. The shop wasn’t sure what it was but I was pretty confident and when I stripped it I was pretty happy.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I'm vintage 1967.

And yeah, that was a very good year indeed.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  15. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

People tend to date Fender guitars earlier than they really are. Or, to put it otherwise, though not necessarily intentionally, misrepresent them in that regard. I have an exhaustive past of pointing out that neck dates, in particular once they began being stamped, do not date a guitar; the stamps don't even date the neck.

I often think of all the "1971" Tele Customs and Thinline versions 2. I have had many, and can identify characteristics of the first ones built. However, while the guitars date to 1971 manufacture, they were model year 1972 guitars. I'm not sure if Fender was thinking that way pre-CBS, but Leo was involved with the auto industry in both interest and manufacture. Thus, one might regard those first top loaders as model year 1959 (even if the first ones were made in 58). Though vintage cars are more accurately "dated," with Fender guitars it's just usually referencing date codes (often forsaking logic).

If anyone carefully stripped a possible 58 Esquire, they might have found "Esq" written on the body alongside the diagonal route, on the original bare wood, in pencil. That was common then, and yes, they would survive careful stripping. In consideration of other factors, that would lend very favorably to authenticity. I have a 56 Esquire, refinished in white blond (no relicing), and you can still read that through the refin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  16. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Holic

both great, but the '57 has more tonal range to my ear. (not just because it's my birth year!)
    Zac has a very pleasant method of presentation too.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. Amby

Amby Tele-Afflicted

Looking at the rear, is the lower bout on the '57 narrower than the '67?

18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Same here! ;)

19. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The 67 may have 1 meg pots, but i'm not sure when Fender started using them in Teles. :cool:

20. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yep.... sounds about right! Man I sure wish I had the $$$ back in the day... the things I passed on cause I didn't have it... :cry::confused:o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.