1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1956 Telecaster build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

One fine piece Preeb #1..

2. hooverrocks77

hooverrocks77 Tele-Meister

preeb, I might go over the top on this, but you are a legend! I just came across this thread because of a link from the fret technique thread. I spent all day looking at your threads and forgot what I was originally looking for! The information is fantastic, and I love your sense of humor. Oh, and not to mention your work is impressive. Anyway, thanks for all your contributions, it is really fun and I look forward to seeing what you do next!

3. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Thanks hooverrocks77
    You're too kind.... I'm glad you enjoyed my threads.
    All the best!

4. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

Gil, your stuff is just amazing. I will get back to you on building the '69 Strat. I just have to get some funds together first.

5. preeb

Hey mrmorrison

No commercial stuff on the forum please friend... kids are watching...

All the best!

6. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

read the full thread, again....02.52 am, my eyes are bloodshot...

If i read this thread one more time, i'm booking a flight to Israël...

[​IMG]

But for now, i have a pine broadcaster to finish and do the above up as a black on black blackguard for myself.
    Mmmmmmmmmmh, playing with bakelite!!!

;O)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  7. j.b.horns

j.b.horns Tele-Meister

This thread is my main inspiration for wanting to build my own tele body. I'm definitely going to reference it often as I go. Thanks Gil!

8. j.b.horns

j.b.horns Tele-Meister

Gil, is this drum sander attached to your drill press? If so, is this a common tool or did you make this yourself?

Edit: Nevermind. I should have googled it first. I found some drum attachments for drill presses and router tables. Looks handy!

9. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

That's Gil's famous StewMac RoboSander! A drum sander that can sand down to a pattern.

10. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Wow. Awesome build thread. Thanks for sharing.

Lashdog likes this.
  11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing stuff! You really know your specifics. Am building an Ash Tele at the moment. Does anyone know where I can get some plans for things like bridge screw positions etc. etc? I really admire your work-now, that's building a guitar! Tonetele, South Australia.

12. preeb

Thank you Tonetele.
    Telecaster blueprints are available here at the forum. Just run a little search.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The guitar sounds excellent! ... I really like the bridge pickup tone.

14. preeb

Thank you Big Mike Simpson,
    I think so too. I was using the same unique scatter pattern I used on the new AL2 Strat pu's but in this case it was around AL3 magnets. It turned out very well TMO.
    I also started using this pattern on all my models (basses too...) and I believe it made things better in terms of punch, clarity and controlled treble in high volume levels.
    There's a new (and unfortunately limited) edition to the line of Tele pu's... I managed to get NOS Fullerton AL5 magnets (0.650" X 0.197" dia) and for AL5 lovers...the pu's now sound scary... both Bridge and neck (proof of the Hugh difference between the old AlNiCo and the new kind...). I only made 2 sets (one as a gift for Olaf, a forum member who found the magnets and notified me) but I'm already convinced (-;
    I will do a test with the NOS AL5 set with the original long sleeve Chrome plated Brass neck pu cover. I believe it will sound much like the originals. I currently use short sleeve Chrome plated Silver-Nickel because otherwise the neck pu will sound dull and weak... I think those NOS magnets will be a much better match for a Brass cover than the modern magnets (and I always wanted to use the Brass cover but it sounded... well... not very good).
    Check here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/167531-happyness-littlest-things-3.html#post2011375

15. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

Yeah... brass covers and al3 magnets really don't go well together, first hand experiënce here.
    Nickelsilver for that matter, dips the high's as well but way less (and better acceptable) then brass.
    Then there's both brass and NS covers with a small arc on top, NEVER use those, if you are going to use a cover on a neckpickup, use the flattop ones that have the top inside make contact with the poles.

Little wisdom i picked up from Gil : Alway's , alway's have the neckpickup a little hotter then the bridge pickup! by as little as 0.2/0.5
    Otherwise you keep screwing (litteraly) with the height of the pickups.

$ 0.02 on little things

16. huggies

huggies TDPRI Member

awesome build thread
    the guitar turned out fantastic
    thanks for sharing and look forward to reading your next build thread:D

17. preeb

NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!
    Magnets should never get in touch with either the bridge elevator plate nor the neck pu cover.
    The original pu's had the hot (white or yellow) wire attached to the inner magnet wire (where it touches the magnets). Both base plate and the neck cover are grounded... now do the math yourself... what will happen when the inner first few wire wounds will get in touch with the magnet (from magnet corrosion and old age, sweat...etc).
    This is why I reversed the polarity of the wires on my Tele pu's. It doesn't affect the sound of course.
    Another thing... if they touch, the cover becomes a part of the magnetic material and changes the tone completely!!!

18. preeb

Thanks huggies,

This is an old thread and there are a few more of my builds posted in this forum for you to enjoy!

19. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Gil, this is 1 nice and entertaining thread. It was nice to see all the pics and get an understanding how this guitar was made. Although I'll probably never build a guitar from scratch like that, it increases my respect for the craft, the craftsmen and the product.

And Chito's skilled playing makes the guitar sound like the voice of god. May I ask which amp he used?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  20. rattus77

rattus77 Tele-Meister

AN ABSOLUTELY STUNNING BUILD ONE OF THE PRETTIEST TELE'S I HAVE SEEN FOR AGES. HOW LONG EXACTLY DID IT TAKE TO MAKE? CAN I HAVE ONE?:D

THE CRAFTMANSHIP IS ASTONISHING.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.