1955 Buick Century .... As an guitar effect.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
My son gave me this for Christmas, I'm going to use it as a case for an overdrive.

(sorry for the crap picture, late here and poor lights)

IMG_20220107_210828.jpg

I'm going to attempt to do a youtube series of videos of what I do.... but, we'll see how that goes.

😅

I'll post some updates here too anyway.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Ha! Now that's an idea! Good one! Looking forward to how it goes. Neato!

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Been planning a bit, I'm going to put a COT50 (lovepedal clone boost/OD) in it, because the circuit board is the size of a postage stamp, which means I can hopefully hide it in the engine bay and keep the main interior free from electronics clutter. Then hopefully I can make all that look nice and tastefully light that up inside and you won't see circuit boards and wires (hopefully)

I also chose this drive because I've decided to build it as an 'amp top' effect, because it will look cool on top of the amp and it won't get broken by feet jumping up and down on it. Most people use the COT as an 'always on' effect then use the guitars controls to lower the gain and change the tone.

The single control the effect uses I'm going to try and have it sticking out like a 'hood exhaust' .. with a cut out in the bonnet (hood) for it to poke through, I'll then use something to make it look like an exhaust (some kind of little pipe with a slash cut or flange)

Because it will be 'amp top' I don't need a big footswitch sticking out of the top, so I'll use a small toggle that will hopefully look like a radio aerial...

That's about all I've got so far, I've ordered the PCB from fuzzdog, when that arrives I'll start working things out a bit more before I start drilling holes!! ....thoughts?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Could you attach the gain control to one of the wheels, so you roll the car along the top of the amp to change the gain?

Ha that would be fun. I have no doubt it would be possible but probably more of a modification job than I want to get into. You'd probably need to make some kind of bracket for the pot to attach to in the right position which is something I don't really have the tools to do.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Hey @Tom_

You know what? It might not be so difficult after all, would you believe the hole in the wheel is a perfect push on fit!! (I have to do it now right?!)

I just need to drill the hole in the axle support and maybe slot the underside for a bit of the pot body to poke through (to keep it in the middle as it were)

It defo looks more doable than I first thought.

Battery can fit in the back no problems too, wires will run under the 'carpets' inside the interior. circuit will fit under the hood.

Front of the interior can all go in, back seat will be removed to make room for the jacks on both sides and the toggle in the roof.

... I just need to fix the single 'normal axle' that I'll have remaining at the front but I'm sure I can figure that out with super glue and bits of plastic. :D

IMG_20220114_000951.jpg

Tom_

TDPRI Member
I think the universe is trying to tell you something. You definitely have to do it now!

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I think the universe is trying to tell you something. You definitely have to do it now!

absolutely. I had a bit of an 'uh oh' moment when I pushed the wheel on the pot shaft and, well lets just say it was a 'perfect tight' fit and I had to use some slow, steady and gentle leaver action to get it back off.

I did panic for a moment when I couldn't pull it off with my hands though!!

I wish I had more of these wheels now... I mean who wouldn't want chrome wheels with whitewall tyres for control knobs on everything!?

If I get time at the weekend I'll try and make a proper start on this.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey @Tom_

You know what? It might not be so difficult after all, would you believe the hole in the wheel is a perfect push on fit!! (I have to do it now right?!)

I just need to drill the hole in the axle support and maybe slot the underside for a bit of the pot body to poke through (to keep it in the middle as it were)

It defo looks more doable than I first thought.

Battery can fit in the back no problems too, wires will run under the 'carpets' inside the interior. circuit will fit under the hood.

Front of the interior can all go in, back seat will be removed to make room for the jacks on both sides and the toggle in the roof.

... I just need to fix the single 'normal axle' that I'll have remaining at the front but I'm sure I can figure that out with super glue and bits of plastic. :D

View attachment 939895
Looks like something one could take out on the Road.
Excellent Idea.

Painter644

Tele-Meister
My father had a ‘55 Buick, bought new, and by ‘57 it had rusted through the door and quarter panels! Oh, those olden days!

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Been planning a bit, I'm going to put a COT50 (lovepedal clone boost/OD) in it, because the circuit board is the size of a postage stamp, which means I can hopefully hide it in the engine bay and keep the main interior free from electronics clutter. Then hopefully I can make all that look nice and tastefully light that up inside and you won't see circuit boards and wires (hopefully)

I also chose this drive because I've decided to build it as an 'amp top' effect, because it will look cool on top of the amp and it won't get broken by feet jumping up and down on it. Most people use the COT as an 'always on' effect then use the guitars controls to lower the gain and change the tone.

The single control the effect uses I'm going to try and have it sticking out like a 'hood exhaust' .. with a cut out in the bonnet (hood) for it to poke through, I'll then use something to make it look like an exhaust (some kind of little pipe with a slash cut or flange)

Because it will be 'amp top' I don't need a big footswitch sticking out of the top, so I'll use a small toggle that will hopefully look like a radio aerial...

That's about all I've got so far, I've ordered the PCB from fuzzdog, when that arrives I'll start working things out a bit more before I start drilling holes!! ....thoughts?
Cool and fun and I hope you have a great time building it. I made a couple of those COT circuits and I built them with I think it was called the Briggs mod.
I built the circuits on Marshall grille cloth for fun. One I built on Checker Board and the other salt and pepper. It would be one more knob but it does make for A great sounding circuit, definitely good on smaller amps also. I tried to find gutshots because I know they exist but they may be on a chip on a different phone.

These be they, i’ve gotta track down those gutshots because they are fun examples showing there’s not much importance, with respect to board material, on a simple circuit. At least not this one, and they could be folded or formed into a tight space, better than a rigid material lIke circuit or vero board etc.
A683FB95-0E7A-479E-8BF1-ADA49012E16C.jpeg