1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1955 5e1 Champ question

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by mctweed, Sep 12, 2020.

1. mctweed

mctweed NEW MEMBER!

Just got a 1955 5e1 champ. Looks to be all original. The tube chart and chassis are both stamped "EK" - Nov 55. The speaker however is stamped "6EV-34; 465-639" - An oxford from what I believe is around September 1956. The question is: Would this have been normal for the factory to hang on to a chassis and chart from 1955, and put in a 1956 speak almost a year later before selling.. or would the amp have had a 1955 speaker and was it definitely swapped out for this 1956 speaker? Thanks!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome. A picture of the speaker might be of interest and give us more clues. I would find it odd to have a tube chart from Nov, 1955 and a speaker that was built in the 39th week of 1956...or maybe 1966. Also, a 5E1 should have an 8” speaker. According t9 this, the 5D1 was the last Champ to have a 6” speaker.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp3.htm

Of course strange things happen. Is this a narrow panel amp? Pics??

EDIT: Okay, I got to the shop and pulled out my Teague&Sprung book..”Fender Amps...the First Fifty Years”. They say that the 8” speaker was introduced circa 1956 when the cabinet was enlarged fro: the 11”x12”x7 1/4” to 12 1/2”x13 1/2”x 8” measurements. So, what size is your cab? I take it is the smaller one. Also, what is the serial number.....xx for the last digits is fine if you want that to be private. Does the chassis serial number match the serial number on the tube chart? Do you have the pot dates noted?
    According to T&S, the 8” speaker was added circa 1957.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    D'tar likes this.
  3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I have a 5E1 and it has the 6" speaker. The 8" came in the 5F1 on.
    Al

Wally likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Al, I take it that the ‘circa 1957’ refers to the transition to the 5F1. I owned a m8nt 1957 5F1 with an 8” speaker. I held on to it for a long time. A dealer on Sunset Blvd. was after it for years. When I finally agreed to put a price on it, they paid up...and then said “That is the most I Have given for a Tweed Champ!” It is worth more today, but I got a premium price for it. The only one I have seen that was cleaner was a NOS/NIB Champ that I saw a dealer buy at an Arlington ?Show. It was untouched, and he did not want to even pull it al”mom the way out of the box. He has a world class collection of Fender amps, and he looked like a kid with his most cherished Christmas present. He pulled it out of the box about 3/4 of the way...and quickly out it back after I had asked to see it. If I had not been watching his booth that adjoined mine he probably would not have given me that much of a peek.

5. mctweed

mctweed NEW MEMBER!

Wally- thanks for this great info. The serial on the tube chart and chassis match. I will get pics to you soon when I have time to take them/upload them. It is a narrow panel and the cab is 11x12x7 and it IS a 6 inch speaker. I don't own the fender amp book but looked up an excerpt I was able to find from it on champs and the 6 inch speaker was changed to 8 starting in 56/57, along with the larger cab (in 1956). This amp is definitely transitional by nature of it being a narrow panel 55 so the more I'm learning from the info you are sharing, it sounds legit that there would be a 6 inch speaker in this model, including the fact that a 6 inch oxford would be stamped 1956. The mystery is if it is in fact all original why the speaker and cab would have been paired together approx. 10 months apart. When I'm able to get pics here maybe that will help solve the mystery. I don't have the pot dates noted yet, maybe that will help too.. will get that soon.

Wally and bumnote like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.