1955-57 Silvertone 1333 Info Help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarjesus, Nov 14, 2019.

1. guitarjesus

guitarjesus TDPRI Member

Hey guys, just picked up a Silvertone 1333 on the cheap. Sounds pretty good, but speaker is rubbing the voice coil, I know that sound a mile away.

The clearance between the 6v6 power tubes, and the magnet is pretty damned small. Pics included. Does anyone have any info on these? Maybe stock speaker, a replacement that fits? It's a 12 inch. Also, any way to daye these? Codes on the transformer are unreadable.
    20191114_161921.jpg 20191114_161931.jpg 20191114_162907.jpg

Crobbins and Vibrolux59 like this.
  2. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

re-cone? Webber has a ton of options

another thought... build a bigger box to put a modern speaker & the head part in so you have a player. of course... keep the original stuff

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

A Weber Sig alnico will probably clear. Any decent speaker reconer could do a new voicecoil and cone for it.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Measure. You don't have loads of room for big alnicos.
    Nice ceramic probably.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I think I may have a 12” with just such a small magnet....an organ pull.....IF you don’t want to have a recone done. Also,
    There is a way to try to realign the voice coil to cure that rub. The dust cap has to be removed. One then uses a vacuum to carefully vacuum dirt and debris out of the coil gap....if there is any. One then uses a piece of appropriate thickness to fashion an insert into the gap around that coil. An index card might be the deal for that. Then, with the speaker facing upward on a good service, one uses acetone lightly brushed onto the former to relax it and allow/cause it to re-center. When the acetone dries, the voice coil hopefully is relieved of that rub. If one does not feel comfortable doing this, a reconing service likely can do the job...rather than reconing.

muscmp likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That appears to be like some of the real cheap Jensens from way back. S series I think. I would take some measurements and see what fits. Some speaker frames are "flatter" and have less depth. Maybe a C12Q or C12R would fit? Or maybe going with one of the Neodymium speakers would fit.

Another option is to take out that lousy thin pressboard speaker baffle and make a plywood one with the speaker mounted lower in the cab. That is what I would do and just save the original speaker and baffle.

7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

pull the speaker and rotate it 180. if the sound goes away, you MAY be good. some people claim that if you press lightly on each side of the cone up and down, that it MIGHT get rid of it. i have never had success with this tho. if not, recone or replace if you don't want to try to keep it original.

play music!

8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i worked on a univox that had the S series and yes it was very small wattage and that was probably why that speaker was blown. higher wattage replacement that fits would work better anyway.

with the speaker code of 285, that would be a rola from 1955, i believe, especially with that tube setup.

i'm in the process of replacing the split masonite speaker baffle in my sears 1482 with a 1/4" baltic birch. should sound at least a little better.

play music!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  9. Wally

regarding pressing on the cone, that is a test for voice coil rub. Placing the fingers of both hands in a balance manner on the cone, lightly depress the cone and let it return while listening for a rub. One cannot realign. One/voice oil future doing this. Note: some manufacturers will void any warranty if they know this test has been done.
    Rotating a speaker can relieve the cone/former misalignment in some cases....or so I understand.

muscmp likes this.
  10. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

yea, i just figured that if the speaker is shot, all you can do is that rule out test. manufacturer wouldn't be involved with this old of a rola, i don't think.

rotating is cheaper than a new one and easier to do.

Wally likes this.
  11. Wally

And I noted that this test is frowned on by manufacturers for those who have newer speakers....

muscmp likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

If it's gonna get played, just replace that baffle. Done it in a few Dano old amps. Often those baffles are 3/16-1/4" pressboard! In fact, it could be a warped baffle that's causing your voice coil rub!

muscmp likes this.
  13. guitarjesus

guitarjesus TDPRI Member

You look closely and it looks like Masonite. The whole cabinet is pressboard. If I have time to clone it, I will.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.