1953 Telecaster - curious what you guys think

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Kinghat, Nov 7, 2018.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This guitar below, certainly an awesome Tele to die for, looks like it was used to play the same things, same fingerings, night after night.

The OP guitar, on the other hand, does look like the owner practiced scales, etc., and otherwise played all over the neck.

bterry likes this.
  2. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

My take also is that there's a lot of manufactured wear.... its not possible to have that kind of wear on virtually every part of the fretboard and yet the body has inconsistently much less wear. Not to mention the headstock sticker looking a little fresh too.

3. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

It's not the decal that looks fresh, it's the wood underneath the sticker that has aged less.
    The lacquer let's the wood breath but let's it also absorb nicotine, smoke or whatever is in the air. The decal gives more protection to the wood underneath.

I initially thought the neck was tinted darker but like said before it's very possible it's smoke/nicotine from being played in clubs and smokey environments.

I still think the wear looks strange but it's not impossible. If the provenance on the guitar is as claimed to be than it should be fine.

If I would see this guitar without provenance I'd probably have serious doubts. Not only the neck but also the plugs all over the body strike me as odd. If anyone has more references that this happened before, please share.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  4. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Yes the holes un the body are strange. I absolutely don't buy the story that theyre original. Someone screwed something onto the guitar and dowels were used to fill the holes. If I'm wrong then I would want to see at least one example of an all original one with the dowels. The opaque colour theory doesn't do it for me either. Teles were blonde with the wood showing

mipstoo likes this.
  5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Good lord that is beautiful.

bterry likes this.
  6. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

Oops, never mind.

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

That neck wear looks fine to me, we don't all use the board the same. Here's a pic of the outline of my beater morning practice acoustic:

[​IMG]

If my maple neck fenders had that old rotted uber faded lacquer that's about how they'd break in if I kept the same axe with tiny frets for decades, but I'm also prone to trimming my nails real short. The swelling/scalloped look that makes the grooves seem even deeper is also normal, lots of vintage guitars the fretboards swell up around the frets a hair over time giving that extra sunken look/feel.

Redd Volkaert and SecretSquirrel like this.
  8. Leddin Pickups

Leddin Pickups TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Nice old guitar with plenty of Mojo what is the date code on the bottom of the bridge pickup? I can help you date it, looks like late '60s or '70s with the PVC leads.

9. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

I agree with the non naysayers, I guess they'd be "sayers"
    That neck looks legit to me too. I'll bet the guy played a lot without much bending . . . maybe heavy strings for yrs & not even long fingernails necessarily, just honest hard playing and boatloads of it

Bellacaster and Skamania like this.
  10. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Looks like a well used old tele from here. A few mods and parts replaced over the years but nothing "fake" about it imho.

Fingerboard wear looks totally legit. A lot of the "wear" at the body end of the neck appears to be accumulation of dirt and crud that could easily be removed if so desired. Just seems that the previous owner(s) played lots of smokey bars and never bothered to wipe down before putting away.

11. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Nah.

12. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

thats what i was thinking!
    ive also seen strange wear that i thought was the result of really short finger nails

13. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Never seen single slot truss rod adjustment on a 53 before. Never seen that pattern of fingerboard wear before.

14. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i have a 53 with the high stamped number that is 50somthing higher than this one, i want to look when i get a chance to see if it has the slotted truss rod like this one,(seems highly unlikely) the plug above the nut on mine is real light colored i noticed (has a crack too)

Kinghat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.