1952 Tele Demo by Lemmo at Norms

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Little Red Tele, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

Michael Lemmo demos a nice-looking 1952 Telecaster on Guitar of the Day at Norm's:

Dark circuit removed, played through a Super Reverb. Sounds good. Good playing by Lemmo.

Attached Files:

2. 62Brownie

62Brownie TDPRI Member

That’s a dream guitar right there. Glad he played some Stones on that. Hate to say it but I get tired of his originals every episode.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Minor correction.....it's a Pro Reverb rather than a Super Reverb. ;)

4. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Same '52 they had on GOTD 30th Nov 2017. I guess its not been sold.

5. 62Brownie

62Brownie TDPRI Member

I think it has been recycled back to the store. I'm sure that Norms has no problem selling any blackguard tele.

6. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

If the wiring is stock that middle position isn't both pickups.

7. Little Red Tele

In the earlier demo linked above from 2017 Agnesi says the dark circuit has been altered. Do you mean to say that even without the dark circuit, the middle position is not a blend of the two pickups but some other circuit?

8. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I reached out to the store asking about their ZZ Top 52 played by Billy Gibbons on Jesus Just Left Chicago, but they never responded. I emailed within minutes of hte video going up.

They must have ran a credit check before repsonding. ;)

9. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

Position #1 Bridge pickup w/tone control
    Position #2 Neck pickup w/ tone control
    Position #3 Neck pickup with no tone control and treble rolled off (pre-set bassy position).

I would expect after hearing the guitar that altering means some values were changed, that's what I do anyway.

10. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

After listening to the older video Agnesi does say the mud circuit removed and the guitar sounds brighter on the neck pickup in that video so who knows what's under the plate without looking. But stock teles didn't have what we now call modern wiring where you get both pickups until 1967.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. Little Red Tele

If I understand what I've read over the years, there was a capacitor or some such added to position 3 that sucked all the treble into the twisting nether giving the guitarist a "bass" option for the third position. So I suppose the question is when they say the dark circuit is "removed", does that mean a modern wiring scheme has been installed, or just that the cap has been removed, making 2 and 3 the same? They never talk about that stuff in the videos, which, frankly, for what must be a $40k guitar they should maybe discuss a little?

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  12. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

@ littlered-There is actually a cap and a resistor in that circuit and by changing values and adding a resistor you can adjust the amount and the frequency of the cut. It amounts to setting up a tone control preset. Reading is all fine and good but actually experimenting with these things might be more educational. I have a couple of my Teles set up so that the #3 position is as if you rolled back a tone pot 10-15%, middle neck w/no tone control, position #1 bridge w/ tone pot. This works well for me and I can still get the middle position the way Strat players did it for years. Those guys at Norman's are sales clerk/guitar fans, not techs, unfortunately.

The early Teles also had brass covers on the fretboard pickup which attenuates a lot of the top end so between that and the IMO over the top treble and output cut preset in position three it's not very useful to most of us.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

what's the name of the smooth jazz tune in the middle (2nd tune he morphed into)
    it's on the tip of my tongue, help?

14. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Me too!

velorex

15. Little Red Tele

Isn't it Miss You by the Stones?

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For all the confusion about the dark circuit, Agnesi mentioned it had been removed in the original video AND Lemmo mentioned it again in this video.

You can always get that sound with the tone knob.

It's kind of hilarious these guitars get recycled back so quickly. This should be like a bucket list guitar and someone buys it and gets rid of it in a year or two?

17. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

"You can always get that sound with the tone knob."

Only if the tone pot is connected to that position. Nothing specific was given. Dark circuit removed could mean different things. The middle position doesn't sound like both pickups to me, which is why I've suspected the sales clerks may not really have a firm grasp of what's under the plate. They never actually said it was converted to modern wiring anywhere that I saw. The least invasive thing that may have been done is to simply unsolder the cap and resistor and leave them in the guitar, but we don't know what's been done really.

18. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

He shows the original pots, switch and caps that are in the case. Seems reasonable to assume that the guitar has been completely rewired with new parts. I've seen more than one tele with a dodgy switch that sometimes gives you only one pickup when in the middle position

19. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

What I am saying has nothing to do with a dodgy switch. I never wire Teles for both pickups and I know others that do the same. If you don't use that position why would you waste a position. Teles didn't have a both pickups option stock until '67, it's not such a novel idea.

Parts in a bag are parts in a bag, reasonable to assume they've preserved some original solder joints, reasonable to assume it's been rewired with a new harness, foolish to assume you know how it's been wired IMO. Lots of old Teles have phase issues when you combine the pickups, some old guys who have actually owned and played those guitars for a lifetime aren't interested in OOP pickups with a single volume pot. I stand by my original comment, all done here.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's what I hear.

Lemmo made that neck pickup sound good too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.