1950 - "THE ATOM BOMB AND YOUR SURVIVAL"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bendyha, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The British movie Threads will clarify what a nuclear does to human life on the planet. Terrifying and sad for all the characters and their gruesome fates.

aging_rocker likes this.
  2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Don't be ridiculous. It was just our little joke. The teachers did not find it humorous. We went and hid in the dark down there a couple of times a year in the mid 1960's.
    My mother, had worked in WWII, on the "Heavy Water Project" and she was pretty tuned in about the whole thing. We had a chart explaining what the different siren patterns might mean . I was studying that thing when I was 4-5 years old. My question was " What if they bomb us at noon on sunday when they test the sirens anyway, how would we know ?" I guess it was kind of a thing for me.I don't think too many other 12 year olds were reading "On the Beach" or "Alas Babylon".

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Castro was willing to be the martyr so he could go down in history as the guy who spear-headed the death of the U.S. He didn't care if his then 6 million fellow countrymen and women died with him. It is reported that Castro's eagerness convinced Khruschev of just how dangerous Castro was and made him (Khruschev) realize just how cautiously he needed to proceed.

So the Soviets imposed a more defensive posture. They had supplied their ground forces in Cuba with smaller, "tactical" nukes. If U.S. forces invaded, the Soviet plan was to essentially let them land in large numbers and then wipe them out with small nukes a bit more potent than the Hiroshima bomb. That would result in far fewer overall deaths and allow Cuba not to be turned into a complete radioactive wasteland.

We now know that Khruschev and Kennedy both had to fend off hawks. They used "back channels" to negotiate the resolution. We are all lucky that they did.

GuitarKid and SixStringSlinger like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

its online...

https://archive.org/details/threads_201712

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I recall after filming an extended interview with Dr. Hans Bethe in the 70's, we went out to Dinner... the ensuing conversation was, quite simply scary.. He pointed out that if we knew even a small fraction of how dangerous the world was, we wouldn't sleep at night.... a few yeas later, the same situation with Wernher vonBraun, he said pretty much the same thing....

Duck 'n Cover y'all

rk

kingofdogs1950 and aging_rocker like this.
  6. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

"The Association of World Citizens"?

Sounds like a subversive organization to me! Quick, alert the House Un-American Activities Committee!!! :D

7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

My late buddy Harvey had his hands in the first three bombs. He lived to damn near 100. Harvey was frequently asked how he soaked up so much radiation and lived to a ripe old age. He'd answer.

"I guess I got the right dose."

He was a chemist and a metallurgist when he got tapped by Oppenheimer to join The Manhattan Project. He wasn't a nuclear physicist until he got his Doctorate a few years after the war.

It's a "knock, knock." joke. Follow up question was inevitably,

"What is the right dose?"

Harvey always replied,

"How the hell should I know?!"

GuitarKid and JL_LI like this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Reading through the thread, I can't believe we went through this and somehow survived. Nowadays there are no longer two superpowers with nuclear weapons. Bit players and superpower wanna be's have them and I think they're a lot less constrained than the US and Soviet Union back then. In spite of the increased danger, my grandkids don't have air raid drills in school. Maybe the school board and administrators just accept that there's not much do be done in case of a nuclear exchange. Now they have active shooter drills. I don't know how to contemplate what's happened. We haven't experienced a nuclear attack... yet. Active shooter incidents have become almost commonplace. I'm thinking the odds against my experiencing anything like this are good but my grandkids were born into a world that's becoming unimaginable, like a world in the science fiction novels I read when I was young. I fear for them.

9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Honestly I don't think much of anything has changed, different names for the same ole type of bologna.

GuitarKid likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The one good thing about an atomic bomb strike within a major metropolis is that at some distance from the blast, all frozen supermarket pizzas would be cooked to perfection.

That realization get me going for years without worry.

11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Surviving an Atomic Bomb was possible.
    Then came the Hydrogen Bomb.
    Game over for all of us.

12. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Or hop that SpaceX flight to Mars with Elon Musk!

They'd be charred...and they might just glow in the dark.

GuitarKid likes this.
  13. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

I think that growing up in the 60's, the constant threat of imminent nuclear annihilation created a real sense that we were never going to be allowed to get old, and therefore by the seventies we had become very hedonistic teenagers and never really considered having any kind of long-term future. This was a large part of the attraction of the nihilism of punk, and led us to becoming part of the 'alternative' culture, etc.

That's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it... :cool::D:rolleyes:

Then one day we reached 40 (those of us that survived the hedonism, of course... many didn't), and started to think that we might actually live long enough to die of old age!

Then we started to worry about careers, home ownership, children, insurance, pension plans, etc.

14. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ah ..."Duck and Cover"
    Except there's no mention of the air pressure wave destroying your hearing.
    Perhaps for TDPRI members, it should be "Duck and Cover and block your ears".
    (Not that you'd have time for any of this: guess they forgot to mention this in the propaganda.

So ... if TDPRI was around in those days, would it have been on the "subversives" list?

GuitarKid likes this.
  15. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

100%

16. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

ponce likes this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The well monied are rapidly buying up large tracts of land and building boltholes in New Zealand.

What do they know, that we don't?

18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

"Well, Mr. President, I hate to judge before all the facts are in, but it does appear that the General overstepped his boundaries!" (after calling a nuclear attack on Russia.) My absolute favorite movie of all times.

[​IMG]

19. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

How to sail ? Current land prices in Montana ? How to speak Maori ?
    [​IMG]
    And "embrace cultural diversity".
    [​IMG]

Bendyha and Obsessed like this.
  20. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

The good thing about living in an underdeveloped poverty stricken and nearing total economic and social collapse country is that those dudes with nukes wont bother with frying us, and slaves can always hope to reach some form of better deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.