1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1950 Double Esquire or 70th Broadcaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DaveG_NJ, Sep 7, 2020.

1. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I had a 70th Anniversary Broadcaster that I really miss. I've gone through probably 8 Teles in the past two years and that was my favorite. Only sold it to build up funds for something else that didn't pan out. Now I'm looking for another but also came across a CS 1950 Double Esquire. The Esquire comes with the blend wiring, while the Broadcaster has the "kit" for it. Both are NOS flash coated nitro, medium tinted maple neck, ash body, CS Blackguard pickups. Neck thickness at 1st and 12th about the same, but slightly different profile.

It looks like a $1,500 premium for the CS build over the Broadcaster, which, having owned one, I found flawlessly made. Or am I missing something?

70th - 4.jpeg m7hgqgfsiiuikyfhwxyb.jpg

Frito-Man likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The Double Esquire has an ugly finish IMO.

The Broadcaster is a thing of beauty.

The Double Esquire has a compound radius and slightly narrower and shorter frets (Jescar 50085s at .085" wide by .050" tall). The Broadcaster has a straight radius and Dunlop 6105s (.090" tall and .055" tall).

The frets nix both of them for me. If I'm spending like that, I want all the specs I like, no compromises. That means 6230 frets (.078" wide by .043" tall).

Why Fender is now insisting on putting non-vintage-accurate frets on guitars that are supposed to be like old guitars completely escapes me. The bigger frets feel awful to me. They're something I could compromise on if we're talking about a cheaper guitar...but not on something that costs thousands of bucks.

If not for the Gibson frets on them, I would already own a 70th Anniversary Esquire, and would be thinking about a second one in a different color in the future.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    BobbyMac and mojek like this.
  3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

No.

4. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'd be leaning towards the CS 1950 Double Esquire. I like V necks a lot, they're my favorite profile. That would be the deciding factor for me....although I do like the Double Esquire darker color, but sunlight w/ eventually do that to the Broadcaster.
    If the blend is something you want, that's another plus. I've never played one & I do use Tele tone controls a lot, I might not like it but for me the wiring is an easy fix.

Ultimately, the Double Esquire has the neck profile I prefer so it wins if it were me buying it....anything else I can change. The rarity of the Double Esquire compare to the Broadcaster is my second reason.

5. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

I'm not sure I understand the rationale for spending that much on a "double Esquire" (unless there's something else about it) since it's essentially a ... Telecaster.

tery likes this.
  6. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I think the difference in price largely relates to the Custom Shop vs. the plain US factory. I've owned two CS Teles (still own one), and they're nice. Built before the Custom Shop turned into the Relic shop, which I can't stand. True, any Tele could be wired as a double Esquire. I'm not sure I'd use the Esquire that way. It does come with a complete control panel wired in Fat 50's style for a more traditional Tele configuration. I'm leaning heavily toward the Broadcaster. I know the feel of that neck and the sound of the pickups and loved them when I owned one. Maybe I lucked out, but it was the first new Fender I can recall buying that I didn't change a thing on. I can toss the price difference into my retirement account.

7. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Unpopular opinion, but I think if you already bought a guitar that came out this year, sold it, and are looking at buying another of the same one, you probably should take a breather. Try to remember why you bought it in the first place, and then remember the reasons why you let it go. Are you going to end up selling it again in 6 months? If it was truly special you wouldn't have ditched it.

MilwMark, mbc220 and fenderchamp like this.
  8. Minivan Megafun

Also, I haven't seen anything in the specs or marketing on these that say the Broadcaster finish is flash coat nitro. It just says Nitrocellulose Lacquer. So it could very well be nitro over poly sealer like the current AO series are.

9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Get another 70th Broadcaster and be done. If the CS had a U profile I'd say get that one. V necks and myself don't jive.

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yup. The 70th models don't use Flash Coat. The lacquer is indeed sprayed very thinly these days (so thinly that I wonder whether human beings are applying it), but it is over a thin urethane sealer, and the color and clear coats don't use extra thinner like the Flash Coat mixtures do.

When Fender uses Flash Coat, they make sure to tell you. If they don't explicitly spec Flash Coat, then it's regularly thinned lacquer over urethane sealer.

Fender-guy and Minivan Megafun like this.
  11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Do you want a Telecaster or an Esquire ?

12. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    It's a "Double Esquire", not a true one-pickup Esquire

xtelesquirex and tery like this.
  13. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

didn't the 70th anniversary broadcaster just come out 6 months ago?

You should definitely buy the custom shop...just look at all the cool stuff you get in the case....Don't touch any of though, you'll want it when you sell it the week before christmas.

Maybe for the new year you can get a masterbuilt...

I think you need a masterbuilt at least, maybe two.

I just slapped together a tele with the blend wiring, it is cool... GET THE CUSTOMSHOP!!!

Walden likes this.
  14. Minivan Megafun

Wait, that second photo is an Esquire? It looks like every other 50/51/52 Broad/No/Telecaster reissue.

tery likes this.
  15. Esquire Bob

Esquire Bob TDPRI Member

I agree that the 70th anniversary broadcasters are better than their price point might suggest.
    I’m downsizing any way, but I sold my master built and with the broadcaster, I don’t feel that I’ve missed a step.

16. AviA

AviA Tele-Meister

I would go for the 70th broadcaster.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Typed my post for me.

Minivan Megafun likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.