1950 Double Esquire Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

B Bender heaven

2. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wonderful work, Gil. Just stunning to see such craftsmanship in all details. Bravo!:D:!:

Franc Robert

3. LowerBeef

LowerBeef TDPRI Member

This thread is one of the most educational things I've read in a while. Great work, thanks for sharing with us.

David

4. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

Told you!!!!;)

Have fun Gil!

5. olaftheholy

Actually, the bakelite on the the blackguards is not bakelite at all (apart from the Dakaware switchtips wich ARE made with phenolic resin), it's resined fibres that's (for practicality) only called bakelite.
    The process somewhat resembles the bakelite process, hence the contradiction.

A good test is; take the guard off of yer guitar... hold it high in the air and the drop it on the ground.... nothing will happen.
    The fibre will prevent it shattering

Now take a similar size sheet of bakelite and do the same... the bakelite will shatter into a million pieces.

F.I.Y. There is White bakelite, it's just a matter of white pigment added to the phenolic resin instead of black...

Actually there is a great deal of companies doing the injection moulding phenolic resin process today (since there is great demand in the interiour design world for those old-school bakelite switches and wallsockets.)

The process is the same as any injection moulding plastic procedure not very much different then for instance the mouldings made for bronze statues etc...

6. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

AFAIK, there were thin sheets of Bakelite in the resined fiber for added strength. My blackguard sheets do break very easily... much like glass.

If you mean "Garolite" for pickguards... Yes... but it's not white it's off-white at best and most are dark cream to light tan. If you mean solid bakelite... well, it's not used on pre-CBS guitars anyway.

Olaf, being our "Bakelite" expert, see if you can find a good source for white Garolite or whatever other commercial name they call it today... I'll be interested in buying a few full sheets for this model.

7. preeb

I knew you'll say that

8. Deadsy

Deadsy Tele-Meister

Just finished reading this start to finish, amazing! I want to build my
    own neck, but I just don't have the resources :/

Enjoy man!

9. olaftheholy

Off the top of my head i say POM or DELRIN but not sure if it's what used to be called garolite
    I'll get back to you on this!
    The company that does a remake of those wallsockets and switches is right here in the Netherlands

n.b. POM rods come in black, nice stuff for dot position markers, both fretboard and side of neck...

10. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Gil,
    Thank you for a truly great ride!
    I tell everyone I know about the work that you do.
    I want one!

Now when can get you to make me a guitar?

Keep on keepin on.

11. Dizi

Dizi Banned

Do you know how fortunate you are? I can only hope to one day spend some time with an instrument like that. Well done, and thank you so much for sharing your talent.

12. preeb

Glad you enjoyed it Deadsy.
    What resources? It's all in your mind. just do it.

13. preeb

You're welcome Tidepoolbay. Thank you.
    No commercial stuff on TDPRI please (-;

14. preeb

I'm fortunate being given a loving family, friends and good health... I thank G_d for that. The rest is just spices.
    You're very welcome (-;

15. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I saw a video a couple months ago of a custom builder who taught in an arts school of some sort - can't think of the name unfortunately - but in the video he tone-tapped a no-truss rod neck and it was stunning! He A/B'd the tap test against a typical production neck with truss rod, and it was remarkable how clean and ringing the tone was from the no-rod neck. And how dead the truss-rod neck was.

I've got to think yours has that same pureness of tone as well - I'd love to see a video of this fantastic guitar, Gil!

16. preeb

I wouldn't take it that far... Many well made necks (with a truss rod) tap and sound amazing too... especially if the channel size is minimal, but I do believe however, that given the same neck blank, it will sound fuller without a rod in it.
    + we need to remember than thinner necks will definitely need a truss rod and there's no way to avoid that.

17. yonie

yonie Tele-Meister

Reading through this thread is very inspiring, and the end result is wonderful. Congratulations and thanks for sharing all this.

18. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

The most inspiring thread ever,my eyes is tired after reading,yes,the whole thread page to page.A true craftsman.TV,dont watch it anymore,silly shows and yaddayadda.This is about real people with dedication and skills.Salute.

19. MikeBluetele

MikeBluetele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Watching this build got me thinking about how there was once a time when no one had ever seen a Telecaster before. And if the first one people ever saw looked like this one, what must they have thought? Fifty-odd years later, I'm still in awe. It's beautiful, Gil.

20. olaftheholy

Whatta ya think the chances are that i knew you was going to say that too

-good intermediat for this is those necks with the ridgid T-bar as a stabilizer...
    All the tone from that trussless neck and the stiffness of one with...-

Atchoooooo! got that Mexican-flew! thank the lord i'm not in the 'dangerzone'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.