1950 Double Esquire Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

I got some from Mcmaster-Carr that look exactly like those, even the line at the top radius, except they measure 0.215" dia x 0.1265 tall. And cheap at $8.42 for a box of 100. They were founded in 1901, I wonder if they ever supplied Fender.

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Slowly I turn inch by inch

Nacho say anything more about the saddles?

(Hey Nacho That was way cool what you did with Bill)

3. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Leo's supplier was Mahl Steel at Huntington Park.
    The screws I got may very well be from the 70's if not later... but as long as they look and measure the same as the originals that's fine. It's even nicer to have a brand new steady supply of the correct screws instead of constantly searching for older stocks. I'll order a few of the Mcmaster-Carr as well to see how they look like.

4. preeb

Nothing except they were all flat bottomed.
    That's the only open issue with the 1950 saddles.
    I'll keep the flat bottomed on this build and make round ones in case new info is revealed.
    (The 1949 snake-head's saddles may have been round but the entire bridge was also different so it doesn't really solve the problem... I wish we could talk to the late John English, MHSRIP, who conducted the CS Black Esq RI but that isn't going to happen unfortunately).

Joseph, thanks again for all efforts and email exchange with John Page.

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Da nada I enjoyed corresponding with John Page.

Glad to help

Sounds like you have a plan.

Git er done

6. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

Groovey has contacted me about this thread over the past couple of days, and it just came to my attention that I had given him some bad information. I had thought that John English had spec'd out the 50 Esquire, but Fred Stuart happened by my shop today (he was traveling through Oregon on his way home to So Cal), and I asked him if he remembered the project. He reminded me that he was the one that had headed up the 50 Esquire, just like the Snakehead. It turns out that George Fullerton's cousin owned the instrument, so George borrowed it and brought it down to the shop for us to check out. Fred took all of the specs down for the run he did. I asked him specifically about the saddle and he remembered them very clearly. He said that they were round brass... but ground flat only on the two outside edges... not the full width of the saddle. I tried to attach a lousy sketch of it, but I couldn't get ImageShack to work for me today.
    I hope that helps a bit.
    Cheers,
    John

I finally got Image Shack to work... here's my lousy sketch of the saddle as Fred described it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  7. nacho

nacho Tele-Meister

Non truss rods

hey guys I am sorry to chime in so late in the thread, Ive been corresponding with Gil regarding a couple routing details and I am so impressed with his work.
    As I told him, I have been playing a 50 non truss rod esquire replica for about 4 years now, and its just a magical guitar. Its got early 50s hardware, hamel bridge pu and ron ellis neck pu. I think these pine bodies monster V shaped necks really have some magic to them when built right. No need for truss rod Mr Randall"!
    MIne was built by David Eichelbaum from scratch and its been so right, neck straight as an arrow from day one. We took the specs from the original ones that we had put our hands on...The airplane dope finish used by David that Gil and I talked about was just perfect and although he never "reliced" the guitar for me, its all weather checked and peeling nicely now. David got that hint from Alan Hammel back when we were working on the book.
    I am sure this one Gils building will be another great one, cant wait to see the final results.
    best
    Nacho.

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Thanks John

Couldn't have been timed more perfectly, Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Preeb is doing some outstanding work. He has treated this build like a Holy Quest.

Holla Nacho, Yo Es Uno Mucho Bueno Hombre, Gracias Por En Todo Trabajar Y Passion.

9. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

Now, why not?

if you play yer cards right it just might happen...

[​IMG]

10. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

On Telecasterplanet you mentioned that Esquire 1720 that David build was "finished in black nitrocellulose lacquer". Did David build you another one with a dope finish???

11. preeb

Thanks John.
    Interesting and confusing info. I have never heard of a 1950 Brass saddle. Far as I know they were all Nickel plated low carbon steel. I believe Leo changed to brass in 1951 and they were all flat bottomed. In 1953 they started to grind the E and e under sides. I might be totally wrong of course since there might have been a few different Summer 1950 Esquires made... but all the ones that I've seen in photos have steel saddles. The main question is: Did they come with a flat bottom (like early Broadcasters) or not.

Here's a couple of Summer 1950 Double Esquire shots with Nickel plated Steel saddles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. preeb

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Nacho. You helped me a million!!!

13. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

Preeb,
    I was just passing on what Fred said. He said they were brass. As far as the flat bottom or not, that's what I explained above... only the outside bottoms were ground/milled flat so they could go lower. That's where my lousy sketch comes in.
    Of course he's going from memory, and none of us are getting younger, so he may be wrong. Sorry for adding more confusion to the mix.

14. preeb

He's wrong... but *your* presence and help are greatly appreciated.
    See if you can pull any strings regarding this illusive guitar...
    I'm starting to get low on info options here... and the last resort will be finding and inspecting the original if it would be possible at all.
    Here's a couple of shots of the actual FCS 51 Nocaster and the 50 Esquire
    The 50 Esquire has Nickel plated steel saddles.
    The 51 Nocaster has Brass saddles.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

This stuff interests me to no end

Here is a Picture of the Custom Shop 96 recreation of the 1950 Esquire or Double

[​IMG]

16. preeb

This one has Nickel plated steel saddles as well ( and rusty screws ).

17. Dizi

Dizi Banned

Why is it called Double Esquire?

18. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

two pickups instead of one like the original

19. Meekster

Meekster TDPRI Member

I myself was disapointed that there was not two simultaneous builds going on in the same thread :p

seriously though I was going to ask the same question

20. nacho

nacho Tele-Meister

Woops I assumed back then it was nitro but then sometime later David and I were chating on how good looking that finish was getting as it aged, and he made the passing comment on the dope, and then our conversation just changed direction
    I guess I will have to update the info on that web ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.