1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1950 Double Esquire Build No Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by verbroman, Mar 5, 2020.

1. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

This is my first Partscaster build and it's been a long time coming. I'm trying to recreate a pre-Broadcaster 2 pickup Esquire that did not have a truss rod. I know I'm taking a risk here and that is why the neck I ordered with the roasted and quarter-sawn option so it would be more stable. I will be finishing the neck with Tried & True Original wood finish for a satin finish.

My goal was to stay true to the specs of this guitar as much as possible and to recreate the look as they might have appeared when they were just made. I did take some liberties with the look of the guitar in that I wanted to avoid the yellow butterscotch blond and Blackguard look. Instead, I went with a vintage blonde finish with is more white than yellow. From my reading, it seems that the original lacquer yellowed with age and that the actual paint was white. This color can be seen underneath the pickguard on the actual Blackguard guitars from the 50s. I also went with a white parchment pickguard since I know that white was used in some cases such as in #0032 Broadcaster. Finally, I went with the Creamtone Brown Sugar blend wiring harness because I wanted to have the more usable tone cap value that is in the .01 range instead of the typical .05 cap which is overly dark in my opinion.

Now all I'm waiting on is the Budz Danocaster set which Dave from Budz is saying I should have by Monday. I will then drop it off with Tim Shroeder to do a fret dress and final setup. I will let everyone know how it goes!
    • Musikraft Blackguard Neck (Roasted, Quarter Sawn, no truss rod)
    • 7.25 Radius Hard V Profile
    • Vintage Medium Nickel Frets
    • Bone Nut
    • Vintage Reproduction Kluson Tuners
    • Neck Finishing - Tried & True Original Wood Finish
    • Musikraft Blackguard Ash Body
    • No diagonal channel route (hole drilled from neck pickup route to the lead pickup route)
    • Vintage Nitro Blonde Finish by MJT
    • Budz Danocaster 10k Flatpole with Blackrope Pickup Set
    • Rutters Neck Plate
    • Rutters Slot Head Screw Pack
    • Rutters Parchment White 1-ply T Model Pickguard
    • Rutters 1950 String Tree
    • Rutters 1950 Flat Top Buttons
    • Rutters Chrome Broadcaster Knobs
    • Rutters 50's Control Plate
    • Rutters Broadcaster Compensated Steel Saddles
    • Rutters Vintage Stamped Bridge
    • Rutters Traditional Machine Jack Cup
    • Rutters String Ferrules
    • Vintage Original Daka-ware Tophat Switch Tip
    • Creamtone Wiring Harness Brown Sugar Blend
    • Setup and Fret Dress by Tim Schroeder of Schroeder Amplification

Retrobob, edchavez, rze99 and 8 others like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Best of luck with the build sir. I've subscribed.

verbroman likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting and spendy build!

I have a no truss rod V neck at a full inch and while it was installed for a year or so it never moved from the .002 relief with .010-.046.
    You may want your preferred relief dressed onto the frets, and also may want a very light fret dressing initially since only under string tension with you know where the neck falls in terms of relief and being generally flat at the crowns.
    I doubt the full inch (if that's what it is) quarter sawn neck will really move on you but the originals did indeed move so YMMV!
    Maybe Tim will do an initial setup and give it a few weeks to settle under tension before the dressing.
    Feel like waiting???

I agree with choosing a whiter finish, no thanks to the butterscotch look.
    I don't prefer the hot 10k bridge but that's taste. I do disagree with the often suggested idea that those first T styles had such hot pickups, and the same era lap steel pickup I have is the more typical low resistance 43awg they were most often found as.
    Really not a good sound IMO and the rare over wound samples are an improvement.

I'm not sure which set of mags are in that bridge pickup, is it his 2/3/5 mix?

LowCaster likes this.
  4. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Looks like a sweet guitar is about to happen.

I need to try one of those bridge pickups, sounds interesting with the A2,4,5 mix.

verbroman likes this.
  5. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice regarding the fret dressing. I will talk to Tim about that.

According to Dave, the Danocaster set is a Alnico 5,4,2 mixture for the bridge and Alnico 5 for the neck. The bridge is 42 gauge wire and the neck is 43 gauge on a tall bobbin in the spirit of the "twisted" model by Hamel.

I had to sell a guitar and some other equipment to find this project. I was thinking about getting one of the CS double Esquires but I figured I might as well build it to my specs.

DrPepper and telemnemonics like this.
  6. telemnemonics

Wow 10k of 42awg is one hot fat pickup!
    Yeah I think making our own is better than paying Fender for CS guitars, but those are nice too, I just keep buyingh parts and assembling what I like, then changing it up if needed.
    I really wish I could love the Esquire no rod neck but I can't work with a V neck.
    Really cool way to go though and should be pretty stable due to size plus being QS.
    Roasted is supposed to be further stable but that's a newer trend and long term stability remains to be seen.
    I'm all for it and am just waiting for a deal when I next feel a need for another guitar!

verbroman likes this.
  7. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Retrobob likes this.
  8. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

That should be real nice when it is all done as for a neck with no truss rod that is risky not many of the originals have survived
    but as it is a one piece neck if anything major did go wrong with the neck there would not be a problem putting a truss rod in there
    good luck with the build

verbroman likes this.
  10. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Unfortunately, my common sense lost out to my curiosity. There are few people on this forum that have the same Musikraft 0043 neck without a truss rod, for a good number of years and they have not reported any issues. Worst case scenario is that I have to replace the neck and will have learned from my foolhardiness!

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

That is a real high quality build and I'm sure it will look and sound fantastic!
    I would not worry too much about the lack of truss rod: as @telemnemonics said, a quartersawn full inch roasted maple neck should not move a lot, if at all, and slight seasonal variations of the relief are no big deal if we talk about thousands of an inch.
    Good luck, have fun and please keep us posted, we want some pics!!

telemnemonics and verbroman like this.
  12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I have a no truss guitar from '69. Str8 as an arrow to this day. I think w your beefy and roasted neck you ll be better off than trussed. BTW how's the V ? I like Warmouth , but they're just a little too severe.

verbroman likes this.
  13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

verbroman likes this.
  14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a solid piece of rosewood that is 1" thick. I've been contemplating building a no trussrod out of it, since I've never had any luck installing trussrods from the rear.
    I'm thinking a chunky V shape should be pretty stable.

15. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

It's definitely a hard V that is .96 inch at the 0 fret and 1 inch at the 12th fret.

Teleterr likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

This is the info provided by the manufacturers but roasted necks are still pretty new and we have yet to see their consistency over decades.

At one time that lasted for decades it was presumed that guitar necks didn't need a truss rod and lots of fine guitars were made without them, but many of those ended up needing a neck replacement due to warping.
    The idea that necks didn't need to be fat also brought some issues along with it like over worked truss rods and more frequent adjustment.
    Even now we have high speed mass production that seemingly doesn't require carefully chosen and seasoned straight grained wood for necks, and that results in a mixed bag of $500 guitars that may or may not need multiple truss rod tweaks a year, as well as needing a L&C after the wavy grained short seasoned wood moves into a more seasoned form.

I've seen pics of roasted necks with grain that waves back and forth, running of diagonally rather than running parallel with the neck.
    My wood butcher experience tells me the roasting will not make up for the terrible lumber choice.
    But I have not seen the long term performance of bad wood made good by roasting.

Teleterr likes this.
  17. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

I'm going to leave it at one coat for now. I know that oil finishes need to be reapplied from time to time anyways. I'm loving the feel of this finish compared to my other guitar with a glossy neck.

18. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Can’t wait to hear sound clips ;)

Guitars without truss rods used to scare me. Then after getting a few vintage Martins one learns if done right the neck stays solid. Just need a good luthier to dial in relief. I have no experience with such Teles though. Hmm.

verbroman likes this.
  19. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Me too...but I expect the difference in sound to be pretty subtle. This no truss rod thing is mostly about trying to recreate one of these early Esquires. I will post some clips as soon as the guitar is ready.

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Great post. Let me restate: Supposedly roasted needs no finish. Yeah crap wood is crap wood.One of my Warmouth necks has a grain pinch on the 3 Rd fret and that's where it's warped. You need str8 grain. Warmouth tried to tell me that doesn't matter , but reallity says otherwise.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.