1950 Broadcaster or Esquire colors

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Guitar Whiskey, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey TDPRI Member

I know custom colors didn't officially begin until the early 60's but I was wondering if there were any variants produced early on that were not blonde. I'm talking very early Broadcasters or Esquires that had the maple headstock plug & walnut skunk stripe, and not after transitioning to the walnut headstock plug.

[​IMG]

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Probably....well maybe.

There are a few early Strats in "custom" colors...Howard Reed Jr wanted a black Strat. Believe that's the first custom color Strat.
    3E91396F-1FBF-4351-8093-A99C27931E53.jpeg

PeeWee Clayton's red 54 Strat is another...
    FF637CD3-F9DD-492C-9913-5A210615F7AC.jpeg
    The first rosewood neck Strat was a special order from a country guitarist who's name escapes me at the moment. It was a solid one-piece rosewood neck.

Any Strat that had a factory finish wasn't 2-tone was a direct order from a player or store to the Fender factory.

I've never seen or heard of a Telecaster in a "custom" color from the early days...but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of one-offs exist. The Telecaster's history isn't as well documented as the Strat's...and even the Strat's has a lot of missing info. In the early days...no one cared about documenting these things. Just build them and get 'em out the door.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

If you go through the BlackGuard logs website, I think there was one early Nocaster listed there that was a solid white (like Olympic White) and not a translucent blonde whitewash color. It came with gold hardware and pickguard and was owned by a professional musician.

There is also one listed that is red, but it's unlikely in my eyes that was the original color.

There were a few 54-55 that were sunburst.

4. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

Since they were not consistent the blonde color on the early guitars varied. Also the maple plug was not something that was done early then changed to walnut, it was a few sprinkled in at the beginning here and there along with the walnut. The first pine esquires I believe were black and red.

5. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey TDPRI Member

Agree about the plug being intermittent. What I was trying to imply was that the maple plug ended prior to the Telecaster introduction.

6. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

There were definitely black ones, although one of the most famous photos of one is actually a touched-up photo of a blond guitar.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

I thought one of the original Esquires was black?

Maybe it’s the one @Sea Devil mentioned , I swear I’ve seen one

Not a custom color but here’s a very early Esquire bought directly from leo, refinished of course (pine sandwich body that I believe is hollowed a little, no truss rod neck)and a photo with it and a very early broadcaster

E903C078-810C-4E0A-BEFD-31D3EA81AF9C.jpeg 00C3E0EB-5A9F-4372-84AF-0B87AAC705EE.jpeg
    That’s supposed to be one of the first p-bass’s as well

I know they aren’t custom colors but are still interesting as early fender guitars

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

These photos have all appeared here before:
    8DD59794-6CB9-4992-849E-0701190EEA0D.jpeg 92AD554C-C75F-415F-AF98-B3970F767829.jpeg 8BB88C8F-4F19-448C-BBE0-63CE008809FF.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.