1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1949 Prototype Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by gibson-dog, Jun 9, 2019.

1. lycheelassi

lycheelassi TDPRI Member

I was not referring to the UK Facebook Guitar. Sorry for not being clearer.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, I see. Thank you.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Without commenting on the authenticity of this particular example, I suspect there are still some surprises to be uncovered in early Fender history.

lycheelassi and theprofessor like this.
  4. lycheelassi

lycheelassi TDPRI Member

Nacho, please help

theprofessor likes this.
  5. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

When I was 15, in 1970, I bought a 1950 Esquire (a real telecaster prototype) for $10. It was originally black, with a white pick guard. I believe it was pine, and maybe a bit thinner than a telecaster. The body was routed for a neck pickup, No skunk stripe, no truss rod, slot screws. But overall it looked just like any other Fender Esquire. The hardware was still pretty shiny. Unless you can see the penciled numbers on the neck, the wiring, capacitor, etc., you cannot date a telecaster.

A true wheeler-dealer, I sold it for $30 a year later.

SecretSquirrel and theprofessor like this.
  6. guitarswheelies

guitarswheelies TDPRI Member

Howdy. That image brings back memories. The real prototype Tele was sold at the Guernseys auction in NYC sometime in the mid 90s. I was there helping out after the set up with Uncle Lou the famous Les Paul guitar dealer. They asked him to look over the guitars and make sure what was there was legit and that the descriptions were accurate.

Anyhow the prototype Tele was there and we were checking it out. We weren't overly supervised and could have opened up the guitar if we wanted to. We did with this with a few guitars to make sure they were legit . Because of the provenance of the Tele and its look we decided that it wasn't necessary to do so.i looked at it closely and noticed that the guitar had a sandwich body. It was made from 3/4" planks of wood glued up to give the full thickness of the body.

The next day the guitar sold at the auction. I know the agent that bought it for a collector. That was a good buy for the guy that bought as it is probably worth many times what he paid for it.

blowtorch likes this.
  7. Mar50Esq

Mar50Esq TDPRI Member

Response to the naysayers on this thread..
    [/QUOTE]

Would like to personally chime in on this thread about the left-handed double pickup Esquire. Both Geoff Fullerton and I have been discussing and examining detailed photos the instrument with Joe in London last year. His father George designed with Leo the first instruments in 1949. They did a number of experiments with woods, chambering, rhythm pickups and necks in that embryonic period. We have come to some interesting conclusions on this unique Esquire thus far.

The four-way pine body, finish, dual pickup routs, pickups, electronics and parts are original. There are some extra holes unfortunately on the bridge plate. We have seen another early lefty pickup route virtually identical. We are both hands-on familiar with the California Playboys #0009 dual Champion pickup Esquire Sam Hutton showed us years ago. Neighbor Karl Olmstead told us he made up many bridge plates as they began so the numbers could be much higher as we've seen before. He also discussed the finalized rhythm pickup cover design still in used today.

After Geoff's grandfather Fred cutout bodies and basically built these first pine, chambered and ash samples, he also developed the truss system during the summer of 1950 for the new Broadcaster. When I showed George my March of 1950 neck, he told us both about some Esquires that came back for truss rods and such.

X-rays graciously furnished by Joe and the owner show a sophisticated reinforcement system used on this neck. Geoff and I feel this was an experimental truss system Fred Fullerton added to a cutdown neck, thus the thick top lamination over the internal truss routs. Unfortunately some one has messed with the neck's headstock and refretted/refinished the neck in later years.

George, Geoff and I took apart their relative Cher's black dual Esquire made shortly after this earliest left-handed sample with a finalized pickup. Our buddy Fred Stuart at Fender made a very nice tribute run of the black Custom Shop Historic Esquire in 1998 based on Cher's guitar. Detailed layout photos here will be in my Hal Leonard Fender tome.

So we (Geoff, Richard, Steve Soest and I) look forward to playing and photographing the guitar when it arrives on these shores in the hopeful near future.
    Best regards, Robb "Rovertos" Lawrence 1950FenderLegendsEsquire200LowerR_9733.jpg 1949-prototype-telecaster.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Amby, Kloun and Antoon like this.
  8. neuroy

neuroy TDPRI Member

Hello all !

Since I have recognized that here are a lot of people with great knowledge about original Blackguards, I have a question which is a little off-topic!
    But I hope that anybody is willing to point me into the right direction...

Did the body shape of Teles ever change ? Has the outline become different over the years ?
    For example: any difference between a Blackguard outline and a late 60´s body ?
    I know about the router hump, the shape of the neck pocket, the area Upper body coming down direction of neck pocket including the transition area into the neck pocket...
    BUT : what about the cutaway and the "horn". Are there differences ?

Or is there anywhere a blueprint / plan available online ? I know about the usual online sources, but it seems there's no plan taken from a original 50-54 Tele.

Any help is very much appreciated !
    Thanks very much

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.