1947 br6 amp project.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jimi6string, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

I had a BR6 a while ago that the wiring had been eaten by a very dead mouse. I ended up rebuilding it as a BR6-F because I like pentodes. I kept the original field coil Rola and it sounded pretty good.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Jimi, it looks as if Eugene has the most direct experience for you at this time. My Br-6 lives down outh near Austin now....and all I had to do was recap it, install the 3-wire, and do general service.
    It was not the most impressive Gibson amp I have ever owned...in stock form.
    As for that sign...yes, it was/is amusing....and to the point, right? For today's economy, though, you would need to multiply those dollar figures by perhaps 6 times to be realistic.

3. jimi6string

jimi6string TDPRI Member

I'm still shopping around for parts. I will post pics when ready to start project.

4. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Most stuff is readily available from Weber VST. In fact, the parts list on the previous thread linked, has Weber part numbers on it, I believe.

There are many cool speakers available from Weber...... as I said earlier, I chose the Weber Signature 8S because of it's low physical profile and higher headroom (resistance to farting out).

5. jimi6string

jimi6string TDPRI Member

Thanks Eugene. I will check the Weber site out. Hey I have a quick question. I put a new/used 5y3 in my 68 champ. I got sound for a bit and then it went out. Could a capacitor cause this to happen?Thanks for any input.

6. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

When you say "it went out".....does that mean the power light also is out? Any signs of tubes lit in the back?

Check the fuse.

7. jimi6string

jimi6string TDPRI Member

The light does not come on. The fuse tests good. The tubes are lit. Would a bad light cause this? The sound just faded out.

8. Wally

Jimi, the pilot light runs off of the heater filament. IF the heater filaments in those tubes are glowing, then the circuit is functioning. You either have a bad bulb or a bad connection at that pilot light.
    Regarding the loss of sound in that amp....yes, capacitor/s can cuase exactly that 'symptom' to results in a 'dead' amp. One has to do some of that 'fun' stuff you mentioned.....testing and such..in order to find out what is going on. Lots of reasons why an amp goes silent. Does the amp hiss at all...or is it dead quiet? You could have bad tube/s, bad connections, bad resistor/s, bad speaker, bad output transformer, bad caps not providing voltage. Lots of fun, eh?

9. Bluto

Bluto Banned

+1....I bought a thashed BR-6 from Ebay and fixed it but did not like the sound, low gain and high hum, reworked it as a BR-6F and like it MUCH better...all that is required is to rewire the first tube socket and move the volume control from before the tube to after. FWIW the field coil speaker and OT were shot on mine so I replaced the coil w/ a 1K power resistor IIRC and used a repro Fender Deluxe OT mounted on the underside of the chassis (this was common practice on hifi amps back in the day)...also added a speaker jack, a 12" Cannabis Rex speaker, and built a new cabinet as the original was beyond repair.
    Anyway, would highly recommend converting from BR-6 to BR-6F and if it doesn't work for you it is easily reversible.

[​IMG]

10. jimi6string

jimi6string TDPRI Member

That's really nice. Thank you all for the info, ideas, and help.

11. Wally

So, jimi, what progress have you made on the amp? Sometimes my projects take a while, too.

12. jimi6string

jimi6string TDPRI Member

Hey Wally,

Yeah..... UM... I haven't started yet. LOL I've been dealing with life and being between jobs. No funds yet for the project. Spending time with family, playing music with friends. I did find a micro-phonic pre amp tube in that old champ amp I have. I hoping that's the problem for the intermitting sound. I'm going to be replacing the tubes in that amp pretty soon.

As for the br-6.... Just been thinking a lot about it. There seems like like you can do so much to these amps. I just want to get it working at a very basic stage. Filter cap, ot, and speaker, and new tubes. Then just go from there. It will be a while still before I can start. The first thing I have to purchase is a decent, budget multi meter. :)

You fellas have a good one!!!!

13. jimi6string

jimi6string TDPRI Member

Good news!!! I found the problem with the champ. Rotten speaker voice coil. Getting ready to order replacement soon!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.