1945 Gibson BR-3 Amp demo!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Revv23, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

A friend of mine found this gem and got it working. I'm told it's very rare they only made 79 of them. I honestly don't know much about it but I wish there were more. This thing absolutely kills! He went out of town for a few days and dropped it off for me to play with. Anyways been messing with it for a few days and woke up this morning and decided that Kashmir perfectly captures this amps spirit. Please excuse my playing I just learned the song 5 minutes before recording this and I'm just a home player. usually my music is between me and the dog.

This is tele into the mic input, volume just over halfway up. Recorded with my cellphone.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Very cool sounding amp! Can't really see it though. Some eye candy to go with that ear candy would be cool...

3. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Here ya go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crobbins likes this.
  4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I was expecting a Jazzy demo like the amp was probably originally made for, but wow that's some hot breakup.

dweeb686 likes this.
  5. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

The normal channel is cleaner; more like a 5E3. Certainly not jazzy. Might be why not too many of these were made. In 1945 an amp that sounds like a Marshall plexi running wide open couldn't have been too well received.

6. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

WOW, nice amp. yes one site reports 79 of them ever made. I would love to see a site where owners could chime in to see how many are really out their.
    My friend has one that was recaped by Gar Gillis of Garnet amps, his is alos killer. It sounded so good that I found one for myself. That makes two in close proximitry. Could be a epicenter of BR3's. Anywyus, nice amp in great shape sound and cometics, enjoy.
    These amps have some diferent tubes and layout. It has "interstage" transformers.
    The empty tube socket is for a tube to be used when the speaker is not a field coil speaker.
    Nice of you to post some sounds for us to enjoy
    Cheers Ron

[​IMG]

7. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

If you ever see another I am on the hunt! I have already tried to buy this one but sadly it's stay will only last a week.

Edit - thank you for the additional info. I've done a few searches there is hardly any info out there one this little gem. If I could find one I would instantly sell my 5E3. To be honest after screwing around with this I don't know that I can ever play my 5E3 again.

8. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Also a little more info on its restoration; it was done by a master in Michigan dean Zink. http://www.deanzink.com/

He has fixed more than a few amps in my circle of friends; one person in our group also collects vintage radios and he is an absolute master.

9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

according to the gibson amp book, the br3 was the first, post-war, released to the public. it was more of an eh type amp, then the later br series. the early br3s had a gold "G" while the later br-3s had the green "G". there were 79 shipped in 1946. possibly the shortest life of any gibson amp as the br4 first shipped in may.

i have a gibson ga50t from 1950 that is just dynamite!

play music!

10. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

So roughly a year later i found my own. I actually located it sometime in may, took me two months to retrieve it from chicago as the owner was an older guy that got burned in the past and would not even drop it off at the UPS store. I had to transfer him the money, wait to weeks for it to clear, then luckily He dropped it off at an old friends work who works in chicago... all and all he was a good guy to deal with and sounds like he got ripped off pretty good in an item much more expensive than this. Just took forever.

After that I had to wait a month for said buddy to visit his family here in Michigan.... Then i shipped it straight to my amp tech. Amp was still working but caps were original and swollen, two prong cord on it, and someone had homemade a speaker out by flying leads off of the field coil and running them to a 1/4 in jack. Scary stuff.

I got it back early august and did a side by side with the one my friend has. This one is a bit more together, less overall gain, bass is a lot tighter, i think its just been played less. Or maybe just played out less. Tweed is not nearly as dark. Its a slightly different flavor but very much the same awesome vibe. When doing an A/B we found that we preferred whichever one was currently making noise!

I recorded this the day after I got it, I really need to start recording more as I have finally heard all of the errors I was making with this song... oh well its a sound demo not a playing demo. I dont think we have a ton of jimmy page nuts on TDRPI but if we do please excuse the total lack of pageyness!

Now between my friend and I we own over 1% of the BR3's ever produced! Take that joe bonamossa!

11. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Forgot to mention, guitar is a les paul goldtop w p90(hence the hum)

Curly cord straight into mic channel, volume pointed straight up. Mic channel has an extra gain stage for some reason. Thinking because average guy in the 40's didnt have a proper preamp for his mic, thankful for it, as the normal channel sounds nice but not nearly as cool. Volume know behaves a lot like a champ or 5E3 where you have 90% of your volume at 4 and the knob turns into a gain controller. Past noon the bass gets so high that it starts getting too fat, again reminding me a my 5E3...

I have spent many years in love with my 5e3 but this is like a 5e3 on steroids... IMHO

12. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Nice to see your quest has ended in satisfaction and shared it with us. A slice of history brought to life.
    I do not have the original field coil speaker, but my friend does in his.
    Cheers Ron.

13. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Here's a pic of mine. It's in nearly "museum" condition. Very cool amp. image.jpeg

flyswatter and Revv23 like this.
  14. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Love that so many tdpri guys have this. I now know of four... I really believe if more of these were made it would be more popular.

15. scarvin1

scarvin1 TDPRI Member

So, now that you've had it and a minty fresh BR-4 from the same era, how do they compare?

16. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Hey Mike, if I never had a BR3, I would think the BR4 was the coolest small amp I've ever played.

But alas...

17. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Wow!!! Very cool amp. My experience with old Gibson amps (Fifties) is that they sound darker than Fender amps and tend to break up earlier. Great sounding amps for 1/3 of the price of a Fender.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Isn't it the other way around?

Isn't that an AlNiCo slug on the back of that Utah speaker?

19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Very very cool! I want one! Now I will scour the local online classifies for Gibson amps. Thanks. That's exactly what I need to do. Something else to keep me from doing what other projects that I need to do.

20. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

I think that's the what puts the field coil in field coil...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.