1940s tone -- pedal or eq?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ndcaster, Jun 10, 2016.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

"General malaise and persistent headaches." What???

2. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

I use a 5C1 octal tube Champ with a 12" speaker. The speaker is a smooth cone Utah alnico. Gets that '40s-'50s tone in spade. Play it with a P90 powered LP Jr, yeah baby!

ndcaster likes this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I can't help but feel a lpb-1 or a bd-2 could help get you there. Put in an epiphone archtop and an epiphone amp (or even a blues Jr.) and I reckon you'd get pretty close.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

this you at 4:33?

5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

That Fat Shuga pedal definitely gets you close, especially with some tone and volume knob rolled off; best piece of guitar tackle that I have. I had a valco-made Montgomery ward amp with crazy jukebox tubes for a short while that did it magnificently; bought it in Chicago for more than it was worth back in college when I had more money than sense--and I was poor--but it just nailed that ragged, early Chess sound. Coffee filter thin speakers can't hurt, either.

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I went and ordered a jr barnyard pedal. I'll report back in ten weeks!o_O

6stringcowboy and ruger9 like this.
  7. ndcaster

ah, beat me to it, max -- I'm about to head off on vacation

8. maxvintage

I want to send a follow up email: "really, ten weeks?" I also thought about getting a custom color on the box, but why add delay!

9. ndcaster

might be sooner, underpromise and overproduce, etc

we can run these guys through different pickups, amps, and fingers and post clips -- if you've got some old amps, it might be fun to compare

brush up those Charlie licks!

10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently waited 12 weeks for a set of pickups that had been promise din 8... When I got them, I no longer cared! LOL

I've got several of Tavo's pedals and love every one of them. Well worth any wait that I can't remember now!

The Jr Barnyard has been poking at me for a while. I just haven't had the money to invest in it....

ruger9 likes this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I was SUPER interested in the JB pedal as soon as Tavo announced it.... but I'm getting really tired of buying pedal after pedal, trying to get different tones... I'd REALLY rather just have an AMP to get the tones... a nice BF Princeton for the clean Campilongo thing, a CVR to get more brownface-ish tones (or an actual brownface)... perhaps a 6G6B for Setzer/Grestch tones, but it'll do more.... a Moonshine '39 for the 40's EH-185 vibe...

Problem is, I don't have that kind of money. Not for gear anyway. BUT.. a JB pedal will only scratch the itch for awhile.... I know this.... I really need to stop buying pedals and start buying amps.... the instant satisfaction quotient isn't met, but it would be MUCH more satisfying in the long run....

For 40s tone, I would buy an Elektra from the UK, but shipping and import duties make an already-expensive amp too expensive, unfortunately.

So that leaves Tavo's Moonshine '39

and Vintage 47's new release, the VA-185G

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    DocJay likes this.
  12. ndcaster

has anyone kempered an eh-185?

13. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Nico likes the moonshine amp better than that elektra amp. But he may have been playing it when it was still in beta testing. Last time he was out here from France (February) I was talking to him about it over beers. Nico is awesome, and one hell of a nice guy.

The v47 is really a tweaked Ric amp more than a true 185 clone. I wanted to like it, but it doesn't quite have it, to me.

14. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Well this thread got me thinkin...always a bad thing... anyways I have been looking for a simple octal based pedal over the past few years (since I gave that old silvertone 1301 to my son and he won't let me borrow it back). Idk if any of you were looking at the Harp attack sitting on fleabay...but I nabbed it. So the plan is to put it infront of an old 1949 pp6v6 hifi monoblock...which to my way of thinkin should put me in somewhat tv deluxe territory and then using some old ratty spkrs should do it. So part of the plan is to use an old harmony h162 git with a deArmond 210 for a slide git...for some old maxwell st blues vibe. Anyway thanks for the heads up on the Harp Attack.

15. maxvintage

Well it's been eight weeks and no word from Nocturne. Tempted to send an email....

16. ndcaster

Hey Max, any word on the Junior Barnyard? Tommy Harkenrider has a demo up on YouTube with a Quilter!

Pretty tempting set-up: light, durable, etc.

17. maxvintage

I saw that!! Yesterday marked ten weeks since I ordered it, so I contacted Tavo, first time since I paid for it back in June, and he replied "I’m about 2 weeks behind."

That's all the info i got.

I'm a little irritated. Ten weeks is a long time, and "about two weeks" sounds to me like vendor-speak for "way more than two weeks." On the other hand, one man shop, specialized equipment, you're not dealing with Boss pedals here.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

While you'e waiting

19. ndcaster

Yes, well. I have two gigs coming up in September, so I'm either going to have to go with an OD pedal and a farty speaker or resign myself to having a more modern sound. No worries, it's the playing that really matters. I'll be in the market for Tavo's box eventually. I've got this bass now in the equation...

20. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Waiting is the hardest part. You will be happy when you get it though. I've heard a handful of guys play through it and I've played through it myself. It really nails that greasy gritty 40's tone. I was at a small gig with Nico a few months back and Kid Ramos showed up to hang out. At the break Tavo pulled out his Jr. Barnard pedal and hooked it up to a Quilter 101. Kid came over and played it. Everyone that was right there talking about it just lit up--all thinking the same thing. It nails it even through SS amp.

I've been waiting since mid April for my amp guy to complete my 185 clone--cabinet and all. 7 weeks ago I reached out to him for an update--he said, "While I'm multitasking projects right now, yours is coming along nicely. Won't be long now." That was 7 weeks ago. Project started in mid April. I knew it was gonna be awhile as he's got a huge client base and I'm in no rush and he knew that. Though I'm starting to get a little itchy now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.