1940 Packard Bell Chairside Radio 5f2a Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by onenotetom, Dec 29, 2014.

1. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

As the title states I am going to put a 5f2a inside my chairside radio.

[​IMG]

It is a neat piece of furniture with space to add an amp. The guy that I got it from re-capped the radio so everything works really well. The goal here is to install the amp without damaging the cabinet or taking away from the radio.

2. onenotetom

I am going to install the controls in the ports that already exist on the side that lines up with the couch.

[​IMG]

The pilot light will mount behind the slot on the left. The jacks will go in the holes as I only need to enlarge them a little bit. The controls will sit side by side in the middle slot. Will have to do a bit of countersinking from the back. The knobs came out of an old Silvertone radio/phono/wire recorder. The Tone is marked 1, 2, and off. I am tempted to pull the pots and use them if the tone control would work out.

[​IMG]

The power switch and fuse will be mounted down low between the slats. Will have to reach in with my finger to turn it on. Should not be a problem because I usually reach with my finger to turn my other amps on.

3. onenotetom

Here is a gutshot of the cabinet. Will make a custom chassis to fit. May have to move the output transformer a bit closer than stock to the power transformer to get everything to clear. Hope that does not make too much noise. I read Andy's thread where he tried many locations without much difference.

[​IMG]

I have two 5x7 speakers that will fit nicely on each side of the original speaker. They are out of an old Chrysler and say Deluxe on them. I figure that being out of an old Chrysler they should really shake, rattle and roll!

[​IMG]

This one is just sitting close to where it will go.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that's a nice-looking radio, I like that 'chair-side' idea.

5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They new how to bend stuff in the forties.

6. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

wow. That's a nice looking cabinet.

7. boniholmes

boniholmes Tele-Meister

It is the second thread with similar topic, I am bitten by the building bug. I am planning to build something similar, into a box of an old vintage radio from the Hungarian Empire, similar size wise.

8. onenotetom

From a practical standpoint it works for me. I have had the radio for over a year so it is now part of the house. I do not gig or play out and if I were I have other amps for that. If it sounds great it will not only be fun to play on but to demonstrate (show off) to others.

9. onenotetom

Got the board done. Dave at Boothill set me up with the components that I did not have in stock. Went with Classic Tone iron from Triode. The guy that I got the radio from gave me a bunch of old tubes that tested out good. The 5Y3 is labeled Hammond, the 6V6 Sylvania and the 12AX7 simply says USA.:cool:

Was really hoping to get the chassis cut out and bent up tonight but that is not going to happen until probably this weekend. Will take pics of that process since it will be a bit different. Going to have to do something creative with the output transformer as I mentioned before.

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. dunner84

dunner84 Tele-Meister

great project! I did the same thing with a 1930s Montgomery Ward Airline Radio. I picked it up for almost nothing because it didn't turn on. A blown fuse and a few new caps later and the thing worked like a charm.. I decided to use the 12" electrodynamic speaker for the radio and the amp so I went with a cool old Gibson amp design and managed to make it all work without modding the cabinet..

Good luck with the build. You will be pleased when you are finished..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.