19 Commercials

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 29, 2017.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And now...

Bad Doggers, do you feel your shrit bumching from your guitar strap? Well, take heart!

INTRODUCING the new "Bad Axe Bumchless Guitar Strap!!!"

When you're in the middle of shredding Eruption at Guitar Center the last thing you need is for everyone to watch your shrit being slowly bumched into a wrinkled mess.

With the Bad Axe Bumchless you can crank up that pointy headstock with confidence and fearlessly annoy everyone in the store, assured that the reason they are laughing is NOT because of a ridiculously bumched shrit...

BUT WAIT! No...just kidding. That's all. Back to regular programming.

Obsessed and Bones like this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

We dumped TV about 15 years ago, no regrets.

The signal to noise ratio was just too bad. More commercials than show, WAY more junk than stuff I wanted to watch. It's so easy to just stream what you're interested in. But even there, like on the internet, you can see the signal to noise ratio getting worse

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

At least on TDPRI you can be an ad-free member.

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Thank heavens for the British Broadcasting Corporation.

P Thought likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

That doesn't sound like freedum!!!

voodoostation likes this.
  6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that license surcharge on your tax bill? Just ignore it...

7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

£145.50 pa, less than three quid a week. 9 channels. No ads. Bargain. :)

tery likes this.
  8. soulgeezer

I pay that much per month, but I get around 500 - 600 channels, some with commercials, some without, and all the sports and uninterrupted movies I care to watch. So, yeah, it's expensive, but the variety and breadth of choices is literally mind boggling. There is no way I could possibly watch everything worth watching, even if I wanted to. It seems expensive, but if you do the math, it's actually quite a bargain (in my opinion, anyway).

9. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's why I love my DVR...I never watch commercials anymore, just skip ahead 30s each press of the button until I'm back to my regularly scheduled program :) If only I could figure out how to make that work on live TV...

stratguy23 likes this.
  10. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

If only I could figure out how to make it happen in real life...

Mrbob135 likes this.
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

every channel seems to be on commercial breaks at the same time . Even HBO has 20 minutes of self-promotion between shows.

String Tree likes this.
  12. soulgeezer

Dude, PBS runs commercials now! And, I don't mean the "pledge breaks." They are running actual commercials, just like every other on TV. They're not putting them in the middle of the shows.

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

We have DISH and do the same thing. In fact, if the show is during primetime hours, dish will skip the commercials automatically.

Some shows are already doing this. Right before a commercial break, the sponsors have the show "do" the commercial. So it's still "tagged" as the show by the dvr and wont' skip over that portion.

Even as young as I am, I've resigned myself to this fact.

THIS. I haven't watched a live broadcast since I don't know when.

14. BigDaddyLH

I watch the PBS NewsHour daily, but on YouTube. They remove the breaks that are there when it is shown live. :)

15. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

I watched "The Sixth Sense" a few days ago. Per the guide channel, running time was 102 minutes, but it was on the air for 3 hours, so 1/3rd of the broadcast was commercials.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Commercials aside, I have cable tv, mostly for Ms Boubou, and I find it sad that half the time, the best thing on tv is MASH

Johnson johnson and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

This is exactly what I do as well for recordings, I love that button.

For live TV, what I tend to do is pause the show/sporting event/etc at a commercial and go do something productive. I try to be gone longer than the commercial, so I then skip back to the program and a little behind, and do that for a few commercial breaks in a row until I'm behind enough to just skip one. It allows me to watch TV basically live without commercials, and I am still somewhat productive. The other thing I try to do with sports sometimes is either bounce between games, or record the game I'm interested and start watching the beginning of the recording when the live action is in the third quarter, so I catch up usually right at the end, no commercials and I know the result right about when everyone else does.

I definitely have cut back on TV watching with things like Netflix and Amazon Prime though.

18. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you are using cable, you are not watching free TV. Broadcast TV, for which you use an antenna, is technically free TV. It does not cost the viewer any money to watch, because it is paid for by sponsors whose commercials we are forced to endure.

Not everyone lives in an area where free broadcast TV is available. You have to be within reasonable range (roughly 30 to 50 miles) of a broadcasters antenna.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

There is Dish where I'm living and I sometimes get sucked into it. I often pick two channels and flip back and forth during commercials, or mute them. But they play the same commercials over and over and over... No, I'm not buying a car, I don't wear make up, my doctor is in charge of my medications, I'm not asking him about the drugs you're pushing... Yeah. commercials drive me crazy.

Having said that, I went on You Tube last night and for about an hour and a half I watched commercials from the 1960's. It brought back a lot of memories. There were some strange products back then. And you could smoke anywhere! Ah, the world of the future past.

william tele likes this.
  20. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I don't mind the ads, I accept the financial underpinnings of free to air tv which make ads necessary. I rarely watch tv but when I do the ad breaks provide opportunity to do important things like empty the dishwasher.

What drives me mad is canned laughter, which seems to permeate the so called sit-coms. Canned laughter, to me, sounds like a small group of sycophants gathered together to applaud mediocrity. Give me an ad any day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.