18 watt for jazz

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JamesAM, Oct 26, 2021.

1. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Holic

So I’ve been dialing in my 1974x for the past week or so, and the thing that’s really surprised me has been the cleans- especially with a telecaster.

Normal channel vol 4 tone 4 on the tele neck pickup with the guitar volume rolled back a touch and the tone rolled off to about 25% produces an extremely fat clean-ish tone to my ears. I used to have a PRRI, and I actually like this clean sound much better. To me, those mid-heavy fat settings work perfectly for chord melody and comping, but may not be loud enough for a full band.

Am I crazy/hallucinating? Does anyone use an 18w for jazz? What about a bigger Marshall for the cleans?

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I don’t play proper jazz, at all (I know a few jazzy chords!), but Marshall cleans are amazing. I would have my 100 watt ‘79 JMP set to full gain and rocking out. Then I’d just roll back my volume and get the sweetest warmest clean around.

Sounded incredible, I’m sure a similar strategy would work for an 18 watter.

Timbresmith1 and Greg70 like this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

The JTM60 is known for clean. Warm and clean when compared to Fender clean. It is not an 18W though.

4. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Holic

I agree. My 100 Watt JCM 800 has incredible cleans. I just plug into the low sensitivity input and turn up the master. Not what you'd expect from a halfstack. All it's missing is a spring reverb.

Timbresmith1 and naveed211 like this.
  5. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If it sounds good, it IS good.

CJM3309, PhredE, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

No need for a bigger amp. Park it atop a 2x12 extension speaker cab (mind the impedance!) and your perceived volume will be as huge as you need.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Local jazz great Dave Biller often uses a Fender Pro Junior.
    I think its only 15 watts.
    He, and his rig sound great.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Absolutely!
    18w Marshall and really any old non MV Marshall is far better for Jazz than those foolish mid scooped BF Fender Country voiced amps.

Better still is the TMB version of the 18w Marshall circuit, which Marshall never made.
    I have two TMB and one basically stock 1974 circuit but missing the trem.

With the improved TMB you don’t have to fiddle with guitar knobs as much, because it has more bass and an overall warmer fuller voicing.
    Another major improvement can come by replacing the GB speaker.

kafka, hepular, Timbresmith1 and 4 others like this.
  9. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well said. Mid-scoop and jazz chording are not always happy bedmates…

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

11. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

The 18 Watt is a clean amp, you only get it to distort by first overdriving the output. If the output has enough juice for the job then there is no problem. Adding a little negative feedback around the output and phase inverter may have it sound cleaner a little longer. The main thing is to use an efficient speaker.

PhredE and telemnemonics like this.
  12. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Lovely clean tones aren't Fender's preserve.

Vox and Orange do my favourite clean tones. Especially Orange, warm, fat, full. An AD30 is hard to beat, and brilliant for jazz too.

I'm certainly not surprised you found something outside of Fender's realm that sounds great too. Not saying Fender cleans aren't, just they're not the only one.

PhredE likes this.
  13. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

I was also really impressed at the glorious clean tones I could coax from my 18-watt clone. Low-output tele pickups and a pretty high-efficiency speaker makes for a fairly loud amp. I was really surprised how much I liked clean tones without reverb.

I don't remember what speaker Marshall installs in those amps, but Eminence makes a fair few 100+dB units that will make it pretty loud. I feel like my days at the 18watt.com the preferred speaker was the Celestion Blue, but I was personally never quite ready to spend $300-ish on a speaker that was rated for about 15% less power than the amp was 'capable of'. To further muddy the water, a lot of the 'experts' over there said that those amps weren't really capable of 18 watts completely cranked, so that's a decision for you.

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Well, seeing as how Rudy Van Gelder's tweed Deluxe was used on so many Blue Note recordings, you're not going to get any argument from me.

JamesAM likes this.
  15. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso TDPRI Member

I use an 18-watt TopHat (2001 Club Royale) a lot for jazz, when the amp volume and/or the amp miced work for the venue. But any of my amps set clean without spiky harmonics works for jazz; I don't own any high-gain amps, and anything from a few 80s Mesas, 5e3, Suhr Corso, even a Boss Katana (a 50-watt Mk I, no less!) work perfectly for jazz, IMO.

16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep. I don’t buy into a brand of gear for a genre of music.
    Whatever sounds good is good.

PhredE, black_doug and JamesAM like this.
  17. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Holic

I'm with you on this. I guess I am kind of surprised that more people don't use this combination, because it sounds so good!

Killing Floor likes this.
  18. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

The majority of jazz players use humbuckers, and the mid-heavy sound and high output might become too much with a low power middy amp at stage levels.

Most tube amps are quite linear up to the point where they start distorting, and it's not surprising that you can get a decent clean jazz sound out of almost any amp.

Tradition is also part of it. The archetypical jazz guitar sound was created by American guitarists using American guitars and amps.¨
    I once participated in a blind test, and one of the better traditional jazz sounds turned out to be Dimebag Darrell's signature guitar. But I can't really picture a jazzer entering the stage with that guitar and a Marshall. It's the same with country players and other genres as well.

As a sidenote, there is not one universal jazz sound or country sound for that matter.
    I have a background in both jazz and country, and this is kind of a pet peeve for me, like when people ask "how do I get a jazz sound" etc.
    Of course in 99% of the cases people refer to the traditional Wes/Benson type sound, but that is not my personal preference when playing jazz. Rolling off the tone pot on a Tele or Strat neck PUP is absolutely not a jazz sound I would use, and it is nothing like a humbucker no matter what amp is used.
    Same with country, like, are we talking James Burton or Brad Paisley?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Nahtabot likes this.
  19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have owned almost all vintage Fender amps from all decades,Boogie Mark 1s,Riveras and many other amps.
    My 1974x provides the BEST clean telecaster sound ever.
    Still when you put a humbucker in front of it it doesn't really cut the ,clean, mustard.
    But with a decent Tele neck pickup it surely sounds sublime for jazz.
    Generally speaking all vintage and vintage style one channel Marshall's have amazing cleans,they are Fender bassman clones after all :)

20. Orpheum

Orpheum TDPRI Member

Even the Origin series has very pleasant clean tones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.