18 Watt Community Forum

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Glen Smith, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Are there any members of the 18 Watt Forum here? http://www.18watt.com/ I am attempting to register but I never receive my password email message. I can find no way to contact an administrator to advise of my problem. If you are a member of that Forum could you please contact the administrator for me and have him contact me, please?
    My email: glen@charlevoix.net

2. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

I have tried to join that forum several times; after I register, when I go back the site does not recognize my login info. I finally gave up. Perhaps it's a dead site?

3. Lindsay

Lindsay TDPRI Member

The site is still up but I've been a member for a number of years. It's very frustrating to use and I don't seem to be able to stay logged in which is painful. Lots of the old info before the site crashed has now been put back online so it's worth persevering if you're into the 18Ws.

4. charisjapan

charisjapan Tele-Afflicted

Indeed, it may take some time to get a reply ... took me several tries. And, while the site has a lot of great info and some knowledgeable folks, do not, I repeat, DO NOT say anything about non-18 watt amps there! They are dedicated in the strict sense of the word. Even in discussions about speaker cabs, it has to be restricted as to how it sounds with an 18 watt circuit.

But if that's the circuit you are interested in, these guys know their stuff!

Hope you get on soon.

5. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I wanted to join to see what kind of info there is available there. I will just wait for my account activation and if that never comes, no big loss.

6. unchained

unchained Tele-Meister

Have you joined www.ppwatt.com? It's a sister site that's friendly to all push-pull amps. A lot of the members on 18watt are members there too.

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I will look into that, thanks.

8. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Tele-Afflicted

I just logged in to the 18watt.com site. I joined when the original site was first established, but have not logged in for several years. I just reset my password and logged in. There is a lot of information there that is transferable to el84 amps other than a Marshall 1984x (18 watt). A lot, if not most, of the information regarding the work that went into reverse engineering the transformers for the Watkins Dominator that the Marshall 1984x is based on is documented on the ax84 site that preceded the 18watt site.

9. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Thanks Fred, I will look into the AX84 Forum as well.

10. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Tele-Afflicted

You're welcome Glen. I've been perusing the 18watt site. There is a ton of technical info there. I have quite a bit of catching up to do. I'm reading one thread regarding Russian 6P6S (6n6c) 6v6 tubes. Evidently, at one time Brimar was purchasing Russian 6pi6 tubes and relabeling them as Brimar 6V6 tubes. This was going on way before New Sensor began marketing Russian tubes as re-issued Mullards, Tung-sol, and such.

11. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Fred, can you contact Admin and tell them I am having problems registering?
    My username is the same as here "Glen Smith" and my email is glen@charlevoix.net.

It's ok Fred, I have someone working on it.

12. boniholmes

boniholmes Tele-Meister

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The main part of PPWATT is the umbrella forum WATTKINS
    http://www.wattkins.com/about

Joining "wattkins" allows access to "45watt", "ppwatt", "sewatt" and "tubeface" (sales catalogue). It should (did) allow access to 18watt. But like others have found, my username is no longer recognised at "18watt". This may be because it is not on their database or they are having one of their regular database problems (phpBB problem). I have not visited any of them for a year or more, oops. I had forgotten my password but eventually remembered it myself, doh!

Check your back email for registration or password change details(?)

Do try deleting your cookies set for these sites, they use their real names in your cookie list which makes this easy to do :)

Wattkins et al was formed as an offshoot from 18watt. 18watt has notoriously had a lot of problems on a regular basis, shame.

Because of the "18watt" troubles, there is an "18watt" repository within "wattkins" at their "Temporary 18 Watt Sanctuary" section.

I could not get in to "18watt" but I don't think I actually joined there but always gained access through "wattkins" et al.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  14. jefrs

Btw, I have successfully re-homed and adopted a pair of WEM amplifiers besides keeping a pedigree SE Laney, a mongrel EVJh and an insane Epi BC30 (Bassman/Bluesbreaker) :D

15. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

While they have links to each other Wattkins (with PP, SE Bassman forums) and 18Watt are separate and you would need to register with either. 18Watt has been hard to join, Wattkins also a good site with a lot of work done with Russian tubes or their Tone Per Buck amps.

16. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Thanks everyone for the assistance in this matter. I managed to contact an admin and he set up my account so I could have access. I then changed my password and it works fine now.

17. charisjapan

Not sure what's up about their relationship. I am a registered member of 18watt, but could not log in to the Wattkins sites. No problem, but when I tried to register with Wattkins, was told my name was taken ... ok, tried another name ... told my email address was used to register, so asked to change password ... cannot find this name or email ... Aaaghh! Used another email address and registered with a slightly different name ... Bingo! Registered. Now I gotta keep those names and email addresses handy, 'cuz they require login each time, and Windows doesn't recognize their login page as one it can remember. (sigh)

I know it costs money and time to keep these sites going and updated. I also know it's a major job to reconfigure the sites for modern security, but ... I sure am spoiled with register once + PC password control.

Sorry for the rant, these sites have a lot of resources and folks with insight and experience, and I am thankful for them! :D

Edit: Wattkins and PPwatt DO remember my login!! (didn't yesterday, maybe I'm now "official?" ;)) 18Watt still forgets me ... :neutral:

18. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

I already called that site for what it is...seems some folk don't agree :rolleyes:

19. charisjapan

... must've missed that ... ;)

20. jefrs

I blinked and missed that too.

But then that was your first post on this thread. :rolleyes:

About as much use as a chocolate teapot?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.