1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1776 Effects Multiplex Echo Machine

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Apr 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

It's been a little while since my last build, got busy with other stuff, but since we aren't going anywhere I figured I'd start this one up. I bought all the parts last year, so I started stuffing the board today, resistors first.

Delay_build.jpg Delay_resistors.jpg

I miss Mammoth for enclosures already.

Iago, That Cal Webway and matmosphere like this.
  2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

Great board and great sounding delay.

zippofan likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

That’s old... water wheel powered or steam?

zippofan likes this.
  4. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Best diy delay I’ve used. Actually may be my favorite delay period.

have fun with it.

sirbergersworth and zippofan like this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I've read a lot of good things about this delay which is why I chose the board last year. The "waterwheel" is a 4P3T rotary switch to give "Binson", "Echoplex" and "Space Echo" style delays from a pair of PT2399 chips. Last year I built the Madbean Aquaboy, a true BBD analog delay and it's really cool, though took a bit of tweaking with a 'scope to get it sounding optimal. I wanted to try a 2399 based delay and the 1776 board is it.

I've been thinking about graphics, given the goofy weather we get in PA in spring, it may be awhile before I can spray lacquer for a decal so I have plenty of time to mess with it, as it snowed the last couple of days and is too cold to spray outside now. Mrs Z has put a moratorium on spraying indoors (don't blame her, it stinks), so the weather has to cooperate!

matmosphere likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Film and ceramic (MLCC) caps, sockets, H11F1 optocoupler, trim pot installed. I'm now out of 4n7 and 100n film caps, darn it.
    Next up, electrolytics, pots, switches.

Delay_film.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  7. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Awesome!
    Ive got a multiplex junior board ive had a couple years, have yet to buy parts for it tho..

zippofan likes this.
  8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Electrolytics installed. Like everything else, it's a mix of brands, Nichicon gold audio caps, generic filters, couple of tantalums.

Delay_electro.jpg
    Next up, the rest of the semiconductors; TL072 op-amp, (2) PT2399 delay chips, 2N3904 and a 78L05 regulator.

awasson likes this.
  9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Moving along, started drilling the box
    685A04DA-5C09-4109-9F55-4AF66B022728.jpeg

FF27D5CB-CD71-4851-B92B-9EBF470FCF59.jpeg

BB and awasson like this.
  10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

It's a tight fit this way, but I like it better. Now the fun part, wiring in the box.
    Delay_box_2.jpg

You would think I'd have a full set of knobs, this will do for now, but next parts order. I can't decide to go all chicken head, or the the stepped knob, I like 'em both.

Delay_knobs.jpg

May be awhile before the decal, the weather has been horrible.

matmosphere likes this.
  11. matmosphere

Just a warning. It’s pretty tight in there so be careful when you step on it. I broke the rotary switch a couple times because my feet are clumsy.

the little modulation board is a worthy addition as well, but it’s a tight fit

zippofan likes this.
  12. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I didn't pay attention when I got the board last year that there was a modulation board. It sure it tight, I half considered scrapping the box and going with a vertical layout instead. I built an analog chorus last year in the vertical setup and I just don't like the way it looks as much as the horizontal. The pedal itself is cool though, based on an Arion, from NucleonFX.

Since I don't gig, my DIY pedals end up on my workbench chain more often than not. One of my Treble Booster builds is on my only pedal board though.

13. matmosphere

zippofan likes this.
  14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Just an observation, I went looking for an enclosure supplier since Mammoth is gone. When the heck did PedalPartsPlus increase their minimum order quantity for 125B's to 25? Guess they have no interest in DIY'ers.

That totally stinks as I've used them for one offs before, a little more expensive but I could get a couple at a time. 25! Just removed them from my suppliers list :(

matmosphere likes this.
  15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

LOL, when I first read the thread title, I had a mental picture of George Washington crossing the Delaware wi6h a Tele in hand, and a Marshall half stack in the boat. And the delay under his foot...

16. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve had good success with Tayda Electronics for enclosures. 125B, powder coated in most colours $5.99 each.

zippofan likes this.
  17. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I've gotten enclosures from Tayda, I especially liked their polished ones, I used one of those for my son's Karl Fuzz build last year. PedalPartsPlus is the only supplier now with a lot of colors, Mammoth were more limited but still some nice metalflakes. Everyone else is solid colors only, which is cool, though I do love a nice metalflake.

I've built a lot of pedals, but 25 minimum? That's for commercial setups, it would take me years to go through 25 boxes!

I have to replenish some parts, so I'll be checking out Tayda later today.

awasson likes this.
  18. matmosphere

Tayda has certainly upped their game by adding a lot of new colors, but still no metalflake or sparkle.

I like to use love my switches (great selection of knobs) when I can, but then I generally just buy unfinished enclosures and add artwork that covers most of the face of the pedal.

zippofan likes this.
  19. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I guess I am just lucky that I have an electronics surplus store (old school style) that has common Hammond sizes and some cool other enclosures also. I really like this one. [​IMG]

awasson and zippofan like this.
  20. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I love that enclosure! That's sweet.

I just ordered some plain black 125B's from Love My Switches (along with knobs etc), a Mouser order for a bunch of passives/chips, and an eBay order for NSL-32's. I'm missing our friends at Small Bear, hope they're doing alright.

Now, back to the delay!

sirbergersworth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.