$150 a lot of money to ship a used Fender '68 Princeton Reverb domestically.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
By the way, that is cool electric blue tolex(!)

1643054782431.png

nedorama

Tele-Holic
I've sold and shipped amps on eBay and Reverb. Never again. I had to use so much packing, double box method, and still you're at the mercy of UPS. Tip - if you're shipping an amp, put it in a large garbage bag first so that if you're using foam peanuts for the double box method you don't end up with any inside.

Pickup only for amps and cabs for me from now on, even back when buyers were paying for shipping. Too much hassle, and too many things can go wrong.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
By the time you add $150 to the price of a used amplifier, I would wait and look around for a 20% off coupon from guitar Center and just get me a new one.
First - if it was a VINTAGE 1968 $150 is cheap, and there's no way I'd rather buy a ew one with a printed circuit board. And if it's a reissue, it depends...but IMO $150 is fair to ship a DR or similar weight amp more than 200 miles or so.

I just shipped an acoustic guitar (insured) from LA to Chicago - $85. So $150 for an amp like that one is perfectly fair for a 100 or more mile trip IMO.

And don't forget, folks, that any used tbe amp should go to a tech before you even turn it on unless you do amp work yourself. Otherwise you really have no idea what you bought.

I've shipped at least 200 amps and more guitars in my lifetime, and packing an amp to survive a 8' fall onto concrete - the standard protection rule used by UPS, USPS, FedEx and just about everybody - takes me at LEAST 90 minutes to do it right. I do not allow shipping outlets to pack anything - they use "peanuts" which shift around like mad.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
I've shipped at least 200 amps and more guitars in my lifetime, and packing an amp to survive a 8' fall onto concrete - the standard protection rule used by UPS, USPS, FedEx and just about everybody - takes me at LEAST 90 minutes to do it right. I do not allow shipping outlets to pack anything - they use "peanuts" which shift around like mad.

That part.

We all know taking an amp to a pack-and-ship store and specifying the exact way we want it packed so it has the least chance of breaking is going to cost a small fortune - because it's a PITA, it's time-consuming, and packing materials are surprisingly expensive. Why wouldn't an individual seller expect to be compensated for that?

Last edited: