$150 a lot of money to ship a used Fender '68 Princeton Reverb domestically.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Amps are definitely a pain to ship. Heavier and fragile to boot. For the most part I try to buy and sell amps locally. I'm willing to drive up to maybe 100 miles if that also means I get to test out the amp, if the price seems right.
I have a radius for out of town deals. If the price and the piece seem right, I’m willing to go as far south as Columbus (about two hours), as Far East as Erie, PA (a hair less), and as far west as Toledo. Which is about 90 miles. For a really great piece/deal I’ll go as far NW as Detroit, which is three hours, but I have a ton of friends there I don’t get to see much, so it’s a great excuse to grab lunch/dinner or see a band and spend the night.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I agree on your first paragraph. I bought an archtop from someone on Reverb and it was $125 for shipping. I thought that was a little high but when I revived received it was packaged extremely well. Me he had rolled up tee shirts in the case and a lot of packing material. He marked the box with the shape of the guitar with instructions on how to lay it. It was worth it then for me.
Now that I think of it....

A friend shipped my beloved Gretsch G6122 from storage in WA state to me in CT. I paid ~$180 Federal Express to pack and ship it insured. If it got damaged in shipping, it was completely their responsibility (e.g. they couldn't claim it was inadequately packed).

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Now that I think of it....

A friend shipped my beloved Gretsch G6122 from storage in WA state to me in CT. I paid ~$180 Federal Express to pack and ship it insured. If it got damaged in shipping, it was completely their responsibility (e.g they couldn't claim it was inadequately packed).
What freaks me out is some things are essentially irreplaceable. Do I allow someone who may not know the correct way to pack the article just so I have "insurance"? I doubt these packers are experts at packing everything. Some things money can't replace. I guess I just shouldn't ship anything that means that much to me.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m a home hobby player, not a store, so the shipping is an entirely additional piece of work for me compared to local pick up. Probably at least an hour time and the expense of proper packing for the weight of an amp.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I have paid $125 to ship a guitar in a hardcase. I charged $75 for shipping but lost $50 to USPS. Shipping is expensive nowadays.
I dont even look at used amps except local pickup options. Shipping costs make it pointless.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Expecting individual schmucks to treat you like sweetwater or prime on the shipping is why I don’t deal with selling heavy stuff on reverb. After weight and insurance (esp when certain companies run you around for shipping damages if they don’t pack it themselves) and materials...it adds up. And the quotes are often wrong, so I don’t ship anything with a cost of over 30 bucks.

If you want that as a buyer, then go pay a premium for it new or guitar center used, or hunt it down on Craigslist. You can’t expect convenience and a deal, you either pay for one or work for the other, or compromise between. When I bought my tele, I met the seller halfway on shipping costs and I have no qualms with that.

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
For an individual, shipping can be very expensive. Not only do they not have a discounted merchant account, but they also have to buy the shipping supplies which also add up fast.

I had to send my antique pocket watch to a guy in Kentucky and although a small and light item, it ended up costing me $35 before it was all done. You can't just buy a few inches of packing tape, or just a few inches of bubble wrap...you have to buy the whole package of the stuff, the box, and pay the shipping which can add a lot to the bottom line cost.

Think about shipping a tube amp yourselves....do you have the right size boxes, packing materials, tapes, etc. on hand or do you need to buy that stuff? How far do you have to drive to drop off the package for shipping?

I wouldn't want to ship an amp these days. I would drop it off with UPS if the buyer wants to receive a busted up pile of junk, but I would not be in the shipping game with such an item.

ocduff

Tele-Meister
In 1999 it cost $40 to ship a Magnatone 260a from Denver to Cincinnati.

In 2021 I paid $125 to ship an tweed Pro sized amp from Vermont to Virginia.

Shipping prices are killing private sales. I often joke that for the prices we are paying I could buy it a plane ticket to Orlando and it could at least get a drink and snack.

$150 might be steep, but not really. A seller can decide they want to be paid handling, and it’s up to the buyer if that is reasonable.

ocduff

Tele-Meister
Side note: remember 10-15 years ago when the online markets were flooded with used boutique speakers?

Now they are so expensive to ship, and fees so high, you don’t see as many for sale.

I pocketed $50 for my last boutique speaker sale - between photos, listing, shipping, and answering emails post sale about an issue buyer had that resolved itself, I can only say the speaker is no longer on my shelf and someone else is enjoying it.

drri

Tele-Meister
Yeah not crazy about this recent shipping gouge... I get that rates went up and people want to cover their butts but in this day in age people should be able to figure this out easier.....

If it's something I'm really interested in and the shipping is higher than what I feel it should be I'll message them and ask if I can provide them with a prepaid label.... That way I get the cheaper correct rate and they don't have any liability on the cost.

drri

Tele-Meister
Side note: remember 10-15 years ago when the online markets were flooded with used boutique speakers?

Now they are so expensive to ship, and fees so high, you don’t see as many for sale.

I pocketed $50 for my last boutique speaker sale - between photos, listing, shipping, and answering emails post sale about an issue buyer had that resolved itself, I can only say the speaker is no longer on my shelf and someone else is enjoying it.

Yeah add in those 1099's that will start showing up next year and it's not really worth it anymore... Places like Guitar Center and Music Go Round are a lot easier to deal with.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I sold and shipped a boutique amp head last year. It was a $2750.00 (free shipping) purchase and I wanted it to arrive in perfect condition. I had it packed by an independent pack and ship place out here that actually ships a lot of instruments and amps (and art and antiques, etc.). All the tubes packed separately, the inside of the amp was filled with foam packing so stuff wouldn't move around, double boxed, detailed photos of the pack job, insured - the whole nine yards. It cost me $210.00 but it arrived in pristine condition. As noted, shipping an amp is a pain (unless you do it regularly and have all the materials). Even when you've dotted all your i's and crossed all your t's - getting reimbursed for a damaged in shipping delivery, is a royal PITA.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Expecting individual schmucks to treat you like sweetwater or prime on the shipping is why I don’t deal with selling heavy stuff on reverb. After weight and insurance (esp when certain companies run you around for shipping damages if they don’t pack it themselves) and materials...it adds up. And the quotes are often wrong, so I don’t ship anything with a cost of over 30 bucks.

If you want that as a buyer, then go pay a premium for it new or guitar center used, or hunt it down on Craigslist. You can’t expect convenience and a deal, you either pay for one or work for the other, or compromise between. When I bought my tele, I met the seller halfway on shipping costs and I have no qualms with that.
I recently shipped a partscaster in a nice gig bag, double-boxed in an original Squier shipping case about 400 miles away in PA. Don't know the weight. UPS Store charged me $35 WITH $500 insurance! I was expecting double that! I even asked them to double-check the price as this was during the Christmas rush. It was delivered in two days. I can't complain.

I also recently shipped a cheap potentiometer to a member a couple months ago in a 3X3X3" box (under a pound, no insurance) and it cost me (him) $13! Does USPS charge more for a box vs. padded bag with weight being equal?? The UPS store is 30 minutes from me, so I just paid it. So if possible, get quotes from both. I don't typically willingly deal with FedEx. I am not a fan of the current USPS czar, but I don't want to get into that...

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Here.

That is, if the seller will ship it. I see a lot of local-pickup-only on a lot of Reverb.com guitars, amps and accessories.

Thanks for letting me vent. By the way, I think it is a lovely little amp.

A couple things:
-Often people up the shipping price and lower the selling price to avoid costs. Not sure if that is still valid or not.
-If the person sells on Ebay or Reverb, and IF they use their shipping service it's amazing price reduction. I sold a guitar with case. On Reverb the price for shipping coast to coast USA was $38, Private with my Fedex account it was about $80 . It was better for me to sell it on Reverb and pay the fees than self ship.
-Shipping privately is ridiculous $ now days.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Here.

That is, if the seller will ship it. I see a lot of local-pickup-only on a lot of Reverb.com guitars, amps and accessories.

Thanks for letting me vent. By the way, I think it is a lovely little amp.

That one you linked is just a mark up.... obviously. Either to avoid fees or just a sales tactic to grab lookers. It appears it's shipping from WA to WA?
I you want to find out what shipping actually should be pretend to make a listing, put in the weight and size and see what Reverb tells you.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
$150 does indeed seem a bit high for a Princeton, but I've been burned shipping amps a couple times, so I get it. It always seems to be something. Shipper slams the box into the truck, breaks something, denies a claim and then the seller is stuck paying for a repair. I've had this happen both on the shipping end and the receiving end, and am just kinda over it.

Several years ago I shipped a Deluxe reverb. Picked up a factory Fender box from Guitar Center, then built another box around that one, and even still UPS managed to break it. I think I budgeted like $75 for shipping and it ended up costing well over $100, so I don't think $150 is as out of line for a private individual as you may think. Music retailers get big breaks on shipping costs. Dealing with claims is exhausting, especially when UPS and Fedex make it virtually impossible to get an actual human on the line. I don't think the strategy is to rip anyone off, it's more like "well, I really don't want to ship it, but how much is it worth to you (the buyer)?" Dealing with the time and hassle it takes to ship an amp should be worth something, too.

I also think the idea is that by keeping the asking price lower, like what you'd expect to find in a store, it makes it more likely people will click on the ad and be inclined to make an offer or at least start a dialog, whereas if they had set it at $900 + free shipping, most people would be like "$900??!?" and balk.

Ultimately, it's the sellers prerogative, which admittedly sucks if you're trying to get a deal.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
When I wanted to sell my Super Reverb, it was local only. I never would have even considered shipping it. I don't think $150 for shipping an amp is unreasonable if I look at it from the seller's perspective.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
About 5 years ago, before recent shipping hikes, I shipped a 75 lb Super Sonic Twin. Double boxed, foam rubber cushions, styrofoam insulation, peanuts, taking no chances. It arrived just fine across the country but shipping cost was about $100. Never again. Now my amps go on consignment at a local shop or just sell to GC. Considering the convenience - in the door with gear and out the door with cash - the convenience of GC justifies the lower proceeds most of the time.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I shipped two amps recently (champs) one from SF to NY and one from SF to San Jose (just 70 miles or so). Both via eBay’s shipping process and FedEx in a 24x20x20 or so box at 30 pounds. $45 to NY and 25 to SJ.

BTW I have asked someone on reverb listing Local Only why. They said they did not know how to get a box. I asked if they would ship for me if I sent them a box. They agreed. I ordered an amp box from Reverb (called Reverb essentials or something like that) and had it shipped directly to the seller. Was a bit of a nightmare but worked, basically.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I shipped two amps recently (champs) one from SF to NY and one from SF to San Jose (just 70 miles or so). Both via eBay’s shipping process and FedEx in a 24x20x20 or so box at 30 pounds. $45 to NY and 25 to SJ.

BTW I have asked someone on reverb listing Local Only why. They said they did not know how to get a box. I asked if they would ship for me if I sent them a box. They agreed. I ordered an amp box from Reverb (called Reverb essentials or something like that) and had it shipped directly to the seller. Was a bit of a nightmare but worked, basically.

Great that you could make it work. I used to manufacture and ship larger electronic components and some of them looked like they had been dropped off of a two story building. Once those joints on an older amp cabinet are broken the amp has almost no value.