$150 a lot of money to ship a used Fender '68 Princeton Reverb domestically.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Here.

That is, if the seller will ship it. I see a lot of local-pickup-only on a lot of Reverb.com guitars, amps and accessories.

Thanks for letting me vent. By the way, I think it is a lovely little amp.

Last edited:

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
It doesn't show up on my side because they probably won't ship there, but it's pretty standard reverb idiocy.

Do not buy anything on reverb that can be bought new from a reputable dealer.

Something to consider: A Reverb.com seller may be just one person who is flipping (buy, try and sell) a musical product out of his home. He doesn't ship in volume like a big store chain (i.e. Guitar Center, who probably gets a bulk discount) so his/her individual shipping rate will be significantly higher.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Seller may have gotten burned on shipping costs before and wants to make sure they won’t lose money. It happened to me in the fall. Cost me $25 more to ship an acoustic than estimated. On the next sale I raised the shipping price to the actual costs of the first one and got a little flack over it.

It's worth asking if the seller can do any better on the shipping price, particularly if the item's been listed for a while. Get a shipping quote by adding 8" to each dimension of the amp and adding 4 lbs to the weight, then see if the seller will come down to that price.

Last edited:

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
It cost me about $70 to ship my Princeton Reverb Reissue back to Sweetwater for repairs about three months ago. That was with insurance and all.

Repairs? What was the issue, if I may ask. Why wouldn't you send it to directly to a Fender authorized repair shop?
Thanks.

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
Excessive shipping cost = extra profit IMO...

As already suggested, wait for discount opportunities for a brand new one with factory warranty and free shipping from one of the major retailers. Prices are high right now but opportunity for discounted price will happen. I would start calling them and asking for discounted pricing. Repeat until you get it. You should be able to get at least 15% off.

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted
For those "local pickup" ads, the sellers will usually agree to drop the amp off at their local UPS Store for packing and shipping. This is expensive in some cases, but a good process. UPS won't pay for damage if you pack it yourself. No matter what you do, they will claim "improper packaging" and deny the damage claim. If UPS Store does it they're bound by the terms of the shipping agreement and insiurance. Message the seller and see if they'll agree to that. Once it's at the UPS Store they will contact you for payment, etc. Voila, done.

One caution. You really must tell the UPS Store how you want it packed (double boxed, etc.) Our local UPS Store was awful at packing amps. I had some that they packed get damaged in shipment. The buyers were able to get some or all of their money back on the insurance. I showed them how to do it right and there have been no further issues. I tell the buyers how to inform the UPS Store and all has gone well.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Something to consider: A Reverb.com seller may be just one person who is flipping (buy, try and sell) a musical product out of his home. He doesn't ship in volume like a big store chain (i.e. Guitar Center, who probably gets a bulk discount) so his/her individual shipping rate will be significantly higher.
Sounds high to me, but I agree. A small-time or home seller does not have a shipping department. They need to acquire proper boxes (preferably two), packing materials, prepare the amp (remove tubes), take the time to pack carefully, hump the package to the shipper, and pay the fees. That being said, I wouldn't think the fees for a Princeton would be much more than $75.

Some "good" sellers will advertise a high price because they don't know what the fees will be, but then agree to refund the difference. But they should state this in the description. This is the approach I would take with the seller. Tell him you want to see the actual shipping fees on the invoice and you agree to pay a reasonable amount for materials and handling.

Good luck.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
Repairs? What was the issue, if I may ask. Why wouldn't you send it to directly to a Fender authorized repair shop?
Thanks.
It was under warranty but I had to pay for the shipping to Sweetwater where I purchased it a few months before. They are an authorized Fender repair center.

It was cutting in and out. They found a cold solder joint on the input jack and leakage on a power amp tube. It had been more than 90 days for the tube warranty so I had to buy a new one but not for labor since they had it apart and found a problem covered by the warranty (the cold solder joint). They also find found it to be biased too high so they fixed that for me.

If I had bought this at my local GC, I wouldn't have had to pay for shipping but Sweetwater gives a 2 year warranty instead of one and they worked with me on price when I bought it.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
Sounds high to me, but I agree. A small-time or home seller does not have a shipping department. They need to acquire proper boxes (preferably two), packing materials, prepare the amp (remove tubes), take the time to pack carefully, hump the package to the shipper, and pay the fees. That being said, I wouldn't think the fees for a Princeton would be much more than $75.

Some "good" sellers will advertise a high price because they don't know what the fees will be, but then agree to refund the difference. But they should state this in the description. This is the approach I would take with the seller. Tell him you want to see the actual shipping fees on the invoice and you agree to pay a reasonable amount for materials and handling.

Good luck.
I agree on your first paragraph. I bought an archtop from someone on Reverb and it was $125 for shipping. I thought that was a little high but when I received it was packaged extremely well. He had rolled up tee shirts in the case and a lot of packing material. He marked the box with the shape of the guitar with instructions on how to lay it. It was worth it then for me.

Last edited:

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Ridiculous...
Sweetwater has a demo model for sale for $989 w/ free shipping and the 2 year warranty.

For the additional $80-90 I'd go with the Sweetwater 68, they're both used but for the additional money you get the 2 yr warranty.
For $800-850 shipped, I'd go with used on Reverb and take my chances w/out a warranty.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've had a few sellers of amps tell me that they won't ship because of the fragility of the amp, because they've been burned in the past due to damages. I can understand that, but it also kinda sucks cause there's been a number of amps I would've loved to have bought. It's a tough call. 150 bucks does seem pretty high to me. They're probably trying to make up some profit there. I'd either offer em a lower price or move on and wait for a better deal. There's plenty of em out there. FWIW

Greg70

Tele-Holic
That seems a bit high but shipping charges have gone up quite a bit in just the last few months. I've been selling a bunch of stuff on eBay using eBay's calculated shipping. I've had several buyers complain about shipping costs and one even accused me of exploiting people! And most of the time that I go to the post office, I lose money on the shipping. Also keep in mind that packaging material prices have also gone up significantly. Like others have said, if the seller is a one-time seller they may have just gotten a quote from the UPS Store, which is very expensive when you let them pack it.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Take those charges with a grain of salt and consider the entire dollar amount of your expenditure. Is it worth it? If not move on, or ask if the seller will consider a transaction off Reverb and give you the actual number he wants for the amp, and what you can pay him to actually ship it — because Reverb subtracts their percentage based on the total dollar amount of the sale. The house does not base its take on the sale price, rather sale price plus shipping.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I only buy new gear from reverb. From a dealer. At standard prices. With free shipping. I have never once seen a piece of used gear on reverb that wasn’t cheaper to buy brand new from a dealer, once I figured in what they wanted for shipping. Or it was so close that I might as well just buy the new one and get a warranty. I can’t count how many times I’ve gone to reverb to look for something and found it easily. At 20% higher than new price, plus $100 shipping. I sincerely hope people aren’t actually buying this stuff.