15 watts really is enough.......

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by studio1087, Jan 25, 2015.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

We play at a bar in Milwaukee and the owner has a nice house PA and lighting.

He usually doesn't mic the guitar amps. The drums are mic'd but he doesn't mic our amps. I usually bring my Deluxe Reverb and I'm plenty loud. The place is long and narrow. It's about 40 feet wide and 100 feet deep.

I hurt my back lifting a subwoofer and I'm trying to be careful with lifting.

My Blues Junior has an Eminence Red White and Blues speaker. I set the amp clean and I have TS808 and Klon clones on my board. The BJ is much lighter than the DRRI. Better for my back.

This was sound check time on Friday.....

[​IMG]

The 4x12 cab on the other side of the stage belongs to the house. Our other guitar player always brings a 50 watt Fender EVH head. My BJ is sitting on a carpeted brief case that I take to shows.

There were about 70 people in the bar at any given time.

I had ample volume. No problem whatsoever. Clean to dirty.....no problem. We were loud.

I've never gigged a 15 watt BJ before. It can be done with ease.

jdto, Alex W and Scrapperz like this.
  2. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

No, it is sacreligious to play anything but a twin.

3. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Drums miced? They are usually the loudest thing to start with.

4. studio1087

I'm in the Milwaukee countryside.

I think I could hear you last night.

Sounded like a Twin Reverb blasting from the south. Nice tone man.

:cool:

Mansonienne likes this.
  5. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Don't people play small to medium venues all the time with a Vox AC15?

6. studio1087

Kick drum and an overhead. Gotta mic the kick. He has a line array of Bag End speakers that runs along the top of the stage.

You need the thump. Makes girls drink beer and dance. When girls dance guys drink more. It's a delightful circle. I get paid to sing and play and I get to watch all the girls dance. Not a bad Saturday night. :cool:

JustABluesGuy and jdto like this.
  7. studio1087

I think so. I've never done it. I've never played with less than a DRRI and we always mic up with our PA. I've read lots of debates where some people say 15 watts won't push you out clean over a drummer.

It can be done.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. rednefceleb

rednefceleb TDPRI Member

A tube amp such as a Blues Junior can be a lot of fun @ a gig that you pictured. There are so many million rooms just like that. 15 watts will rip through, especially with an 808. It's odd that the sound guy mics drums. Being a drummer for 50+ years, drums are usually the last thing to mic. Drums naturally project just fine in a room like that.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've gigged an AC15c1 a LOT. I've gigged my Tweaker 15 head a LOT.

All depends on what kind of gig it is, and how much clean headroom you need.

When I need more clean with a full band, I'll generally use more watts. But if'n you don't mind a little fur on your chord biscuits, you can gig with 15 in many cases.

I didn't dig my Blues Jr. Never seemed to be enough. Maybe I should have tried a different speaker. My AC15 was great if I didn't need much clean headroom.

I run my Tweaker 15 on #7 GT E34L's, into a 2x12 cab loaded with Eminence Swamp Thangs. It's a good medium room rig, that punches QUITE a bit more than the AC15. Running the AC through that cab yields pretty good results as well.

If I need to have what I call "real" cleans at loud drummer levels, I gotta have 30 watts and two twelves, minimum. I've never liked trying to do it with anything less.

OlRedNeckHippy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  10. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

Maybe I'm spoiled (likely) but I've never gigged anywhere that didn't mic the drums. Mostly just a kick mic and overhead. Maybe a snare mic in the nicer places. I can never get enough kick, myself personally. I was also generally playing punk and hardcore music in loud venues. Even with the drums mic'ed up, I've never had a problem with running 15 watts. But I never play totally clean. ;)

11. MDMachiavelli

I guess we all have different perspectives I always mic my amp and keep it low. I like my guitar in the mix regardless how big or small.

12. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Yes we do :)

13. MDMachiavelli

Do you always mic your amp and what kind of music do you play, for the most part anyway?

14. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

My Ampeg GVT 15 with the matching 1x12 cab is plenty loud enough for most small to medium sized venues I play. Never had the master volume set more than 60% of max. So it's got plenty still to offer if I needed it.

I haven't taken my 57 Twin RI to a gig since I got the Ampeg a couple of years ago. It's just too heavy for me to be bothered lifting in and out of the car - even although I love that amp dearly.

15. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

The stock BJr speaker (and the RW&B, if memory serves) is VERY efficient, in the 101dB range, which is a bit higher than the stock C12K in the DRRI, which could make the BJr seem a bit louder.

I've always found the drums are the baseline of total loudness, and they can only be turned down so far.

16. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

Did you have the volume cranked?

17. dewey decibel

dewey decibel TDPRI Member

What bar is that?

Really? Kick is usually the first non-voice related thing that gets mic'd in my book.

18. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Clean on this amp. I'm guessing you have Master maxed and Volume just under breakup (5 or 6)? I use a Blues Junior this way, and it can definitely get loud. IMO this is the best way to run one of these amps if you can get away with it. Just sounds better to my ears when its power tubes are at full power. Other folks like the preamp distorting on these, but that setting just doesn't sound good loud to me.

19. MDMachiavelli

We have the same philosophy as well but its not because of sound level, but a certain thump (or type of sound) we are looking to achieve that is easily produced by micing the bass drum.

20. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I agree with this entire statement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.