1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

15 watt tube amps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bsman, Apr 21, 2020.

Which ~ 15-watt amp

1. Fender Pro Jr

24 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. Fender Super Champ X2 (head or combo)

14 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Monoprice 15-watt Stage Right

11 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Vox AC10

19 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Fender Princeton Reverb (special edition w/12" cannabis rex)

57 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Supro Blues King 12

12 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. Something else

82 vote(s)
    37.4%
  1. ritten70

ritten70 TDPRI Member

I really like my old Traynor Guitmate Reverb, even more so after Eminence built a Private Jack with the attenuator thing on the magnet.

brookdalebill and Jlwctn like this.
  2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know that special edition but voted for it because in all forms - vintage, reissue, black face, silver face - Princeton Reverb or clones have been favorites. I had an amp crazy phase like guitar purchases. PR was my keeper. It works at home keeping the peace but delivering pleasure in #2 jack at low volume. It works where there's a drummer.

Full disclosure. I like clean and slight break up tone. None of the little low watt often no reverb amps did it for me. If I want a rare moment of overdriven tone my boost or overdrive pedal does it with the PR.

3. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I’ve got an Egnater Tweaker in the 15w head format. I love it. Three voicings on a switch, 3 band eq, a bright switch and a tight/deep switch for bass content. Mine is paired with an open back cab loaded with an eminence Tonker 12”. That amp plenty versatile, loves pedals, and is totally loud if need be. I’m a big fan of that 15w head, it does loads of sounds quite well for very little coin.

And it’s not digital, I should point out. Completely analog tube driven goodness.

Fuelish and Ronzo like this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

O.P.,

Got four grand? You want a DeArmond R15 / Martin M112 or the similar "T" version with added trem.

I got a Mason jar fulla M112 DNA right here. Cloning is likely.

Amesbury? Let me know if you need help when the lockdown is lifted.

I'm thinking of a "5-6 watt" amp I built... o.k., it was probably more like 8- 10 watts. It would hold its own against a non- reverb Princeton.

Clean all day long. Somewhere between surprisingly and shockingly loud.

Jlwctn likes this.
  5. Dennis Perusse

Dennis Perusse Tele-Meister

Thank you MuchXS, I appreciate the offer. My build thread is up here on the AC-10 frankenstein that I did. My champ amp I just fixed last night but need to create a new speaker baffle as my new PT is deeper than my old one requiring me to shift the speaker a little. :)

6. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Holic

No issues with my SCX2. You can get great rough edges and super sparkle at low volumes, and it can get plenty loud if need be. I've heard several say how much better they sound with a good speaker cab so you might want to check out the head version.

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. John O

John O Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

carvin V16 1.JPG

i like this one. Carvin Vintage 16. 3 x 12ax7, 2 x EL84. Runs at 16w or 5w option ("triode"). simple. less is more.
    12 in speaker. nice spring reverb tank in the older ones. clean up through 6.5 on the gain (soak) control, then breaks up nice through 10. Nice with an OD pedal out front. Good for blues, jazz, some classic rock, rehearsal, basement, small hall or club, esp with a mic out front.

MervsMods, kookaburra, djh22 and 2 others like this.
  8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

I'd say a Tweed Deluxe/5e3 of some sort.

If you got a Li'l Dawg D-Lux, you could get 15 or 35 watts with a tube swap.

jman72, Dukex, gobi_grey and 3 others like this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

My vote was for the Fender Princeton Reverb.

10. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Lots of great suggestions. I've got the luxury of time, so I will be carefully considering my options, but thanks to everybody who weighed in!

11. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m with @Dismalhead — go AC15C1. Yes it’s heavy — I put trunk handles on the sides to make it easier to shift around but it’s still a heavy beast. But it sounds great — the extra few watts over the AC10 is neither here nor there as a rule but the bigger speaker helps and having the two channels — especially if you put an ABY up front to switch and combine them — gives a lot of flexibility. And the tremolo is magical.
    I played a bunch of 15-18W combos before I bought and the AC15 blew everything else away. It’s a great amp IMHO.

12. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I just got a Supro Blues King 12, and I like it a lot. Much nicer than the blues juniors I've heard, and around the same money. Has a sound of its own - not fender, not Marshall, not Vox, just nice. Haven't been able to play it in a band context yet, but looking forward to the day.

Kevin Wolfe and ReverendRevolver like this.
  13. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Kevin Wolfe and Jlwctn like this.
  14. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Unless they can swim, unlikely to find one of those here! :)

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

I'm having a lot of fun with this one:

[​IMG]

stevemc likes this.
  16. gibson11

gibson11 Tele-Meister

Ampeg Jet ll reissue-- amazing 15 watts of pure tube tone

brookdalebill and Fearnot like this.
  17. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I've got the new Blues jr4. Will absolutely blow the walls out.

18. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We don't all want to make the same type of sounds. For me, the best few 15 watt amps are the Vox AC15HW1X, the Matchless Lightning, and the Bad Cat Black Cat 15. The Bad Cat is vastly more versatile than the other two for live playing because it has 2 very different footswitchable channels (one kinda like a Vox Top Boost, the other an EF86 driven channel that sounds like the right side of a Matchless DC30 (or in a single channel amp, the Matchless Nighthawk), with individual channel master volumes.

19. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

One more time:

A tweed Deluxe is a 12 watt amp. The laws of physics being what they are most tweed Deluxe types make 12 watts.

Stock tweed Deluxe iron makes around 70ma on the high voltage. This is physics at work. You can't make more power without more current.

Working the other end of it, the 5E3's cathodyne PI doesn't drive the 6V6 tubes hard enough to make substantially more than 12 watts.

Then, we'll look at a Princeton Reverb. Same basic circuit, a cathodyne PI driving a pair of 6V6 tubes. Using fixed bias the 6V6 tubes "see" more voltage than they would with the 5E3's cathode bias.

And...

The Princeton Reverb makes around 13 watts. That's what it says right under the speaker jack on '70s Princeton Reverbs.

Most "Prolux" types (5E3 circuit, 6L6 tubes) don't perform as advertised. Not enough current. Not enough drive. 35 watts is a buncha hooey. They're not making 35 watts unless the power supply is so heavy it breaks the cabinet when you try to move the amp.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  20. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Blues Jr. but my go-to is my Traynor YCV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.