15" Speaker: Tone Ring Worth The Expense?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by youdevil, Jul 2, 2012.

1. youdevil

youdevil TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a 15" cab to go with my Vox Night Train 50 head - am gunning for chime AND crunch AND volume...

Anyway, no shortage of cab options but I found a couple guys who'll build a repro Showman cab complete with the fabled steel "tone ring". Cost is about 550-650 depending on how much finish work I need to do.

That's double-triple what a nicely constructed raw pine/birch baffle cab can b had for from any number of capable musician-carpenters, to say nothing of old Ampeg etc cabs floating around.

So the question is: is the tone ring cab worth it? I've never played through one. FWIW I play blues and rock with no effects. For me, Sticky Fingers and that first Allman Brothers album are about the best things ever...

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

IMO, it's worth it. I have a 65 Showman with the tone-ring cab & I've also ran the head through a repro, non tone-ring cab that I was thinking of buying, both with JBL D130's. The difference was quite noticeable. The tone-ring gives it a more full sound. The bass is deeper, more powerful. Without a tone-ring it's more bright, thin & sterile. Doesn't sound bad, but definitely not as good as the tone-ring cab. Check this guy out http://beaverbottoms.com/ if you haven't already. Hope this helps.

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.