15" speaker for JTM45?

tomward

TDPRI Member
Just built a JTM45 amp using two KT66 power tubes and hooked it up to a Fender 75 amp which has a 15" Fender stock speaker and I love the tone.
So now I'm thinking about finding a Fender 15" scavenged and use it in a proper size box.

What do you guys think?

I also have a Jensen P12 hooked up to a Fender 5f10 Harvard with two 6v6's.

So maybe I should try that speaker and see how the 12" is vs. the 15"

What do you think?
Could also get a dead Fender and use the cabinet and speaker right?

2L man

Tele-Holic
I did like Celestion Fullback with JTM45 which had KT66.

P12N RI is my current favorite 12" for Fender amps.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
The only KT66 tubed amp I have ever played is my Marshall Vintage Modern (thru its matching 4x12 angled cabinet), but I absolutely love that amp.
I'm guessing the KT66 tubes have much to do with it...?

tomward

TDPRI Member
The only KT66 tubed amp I have ever played is my Marshall Vintage Modern (thru its matching 4x12 angled cabinet), but I absolutely love that amp.
I'm guessing the KT66 tubes have much to do with it...?

Wow! 4x12 in a JTM45? ...awesome...
I'm just playing around in the living room or garage.
I think the KT66's, Gold Lion are the awesomeness as advertised.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Are the square magnets coveted for any reason? What difference could the square add?Wondering?
Nah, just a way to ID them. Most I've heard aren't too clean sounding. Gave a couple bass ones away 2019

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
Wow! 4x12 in a JTM45? ...awesome...
I'm just playing around in the living room or garage.
I think the KT66's, Gold Lion are the awesomeness as advertised.

Actually, I only play the 4x12 in my house, but am able to crank it to a decent volume.

Kinda overkill, I guess but I also love my 4x10 Silverface Super Reverb...something about 4 speakers that hits you in the gut...

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This may be a bit out of left field, but do you have access to a Peavey Scorpion 15? Maybe someone you know with a TKO or TNT bass amp, (some SP-series PA speakers also used them, like the SP-5ti) would let you borrow one for a tone test?

I suggest it because I like how the one in my TKO works with guitar. It’s solid state, but thanks to the DDT limiter, when you turn it up enough to get slightly gritty you also get a sense of gently compression, vaguely tube amp-like, and to my ear the Scorp puts guitar and lap steel frequencies across pretty well. It doesn’t seem dull or too dark sounding.

And they are available, and I think you’d be hard-pressed to blow one with a 45-watt amp.

tomward

TDPRI Member
Hah! Taking it back to Fender. Showman JBL D130F.

Darn right it sounds good:D

:D:D:D

JBL D140 f speaker.jpg

Like This?

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
The Celestion Fullback is one fine speaker. The Emi Legend 151 is another excellent ceramic choice. Loud, balanced and tasty.

Thing is, you never know til you try. 15" speakers I love in one amp can sound stupid in another.