15" recommendation

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a 2x15 bassman cab I'm looking to load for guitar. I have one JBL K140 (basically a D130 without the aluminum dust cap, made for sunn), and I'm thinking of making an adapter for a 12" or even a 10" to go with it.
I've been hoping to find a cheap jensen P15R, but if it's not 16 ohm, it'll go in a 1x15 cab.
I'll be powering them with 15 or 20 watt amps most likely.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Odd, ive never found the emi to be a harsh speaker, its always seemed super smooth and loud to me. One of the clearest tones with a fender amp imo, with the warmth of that cab it sounds like a really big sounding pair

I would do a pair of Webers - 15F150 and 15F150T. Both 50 watts and light doping. Weber offers all their speakers in multiple impedances so getting both in 16 ohms is easy. I love them much more than the California for cleans and everything else.

I've played a bunch of 15's and have moved away from them, but that big round bass and loose response is fun in the right setting. Big Ben is too scooped to my ears (and discontinued). 1518 is too icepicky for me, and Eminence won't make you a 16 ohm version since they closed their custom shop. Jensen C15K is not bad, but too dull and sluggish.

Have heard good things about the Black Widows and EV's, but I have not personally played them.
Those Webers would be superb, but I think he already has a 1518..? We still dont know the amp but I agree the 1518 was icepicky for me too. But the OP does mention "clearest tones" so maybe he likes what it's doing.
The C15K is a lot like the Weber Cali ceramic... just not inspiring...

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I had a Victoria Victorilux that came factory spec with a 15" Eminence Legend. I talked to the builder about it, and he said they tried a bunch of potential speakers and thought the Legend sounded the best. I.e., it wasn't spec'd in order to cut costs or anything like that. It sounded great and I've always thought Eminence Legends sound excellent in every amp I've ever used one in. If you go to the Eminence website they show the frequency response curves for all their speakers so I'm sure you could find a variant with a bit more highs or less highs if you know that's what you're looking for.

I also don't think you can ever go wrong with an EV if you want very faithful production of whatever signal the amp is producing. Super high fidelity, powerful, but heavy. But if you want a little speaker distortion to color the sound, then that's not the speaker to go for.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
Those Webers would be superb, but I think he already has a 1518..? We still dont know the amp but I agree the 1518 was icepicky for me too. But the OP does mention "clearest tones" so maybe he likes what it's doing.
The C15K is a lot like the Weber Cali ceramic... just not inspiring...
I have a 1518 in another amp, not just laying around, sorry for the confusion. I definitely like what the 1518 does, both for clean and overdrive with every amp ive tried it with. Im using a fender super amp from 94, pretty much a 60 watt super reverb with a bassman channel.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
I would play the original Altec speakers for jbl-esque cleans. James B. Lansing was an Altec executive before starting JBL.
I do have to admit, i got to turn it up just now and it really came to life with some volume. The jbl character seemed to come out once i got the amp to about 3 and a half, it really sounded amazing. I wonder if the lack of highs was just the amp being turned down and me being used to the 10s in it.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
Okay, so i have found with some volume the speakers really come to life. However, i still want to replace the speakers to change the impedence from 4 ohms to 8 so i can run my amps through it safely, as well as i can tell the speakers age on some lower notes as they get buzzy. I have updated the initial tread with this comment as well for new people seeing this thread, sorry for confusion and i really appriciate all the help.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
My favourite 15" speakers of all time:
Altec-Lansing 421A
ElectroVoice SRO15
JBL D130F

You seem to have already dismissed the Altecs, just curious which model they are ?

I have a 2x15 bassman cab I'm looking to load for guitar. I have one JBL K140 (basically a D130 without the aluminum dust cap, made for sunn), and I'm thinking of making an adapter for a 12" or even a 10" to go with it.
I've been hoping to find a cheap jensen P15R, but if it's not 16 ohm, it'll go in a 1x15 cab.
I'll be powering them with 15 or 20 watt amps most likely.

The 140 series (D140, K140, E140) were a different design than the 130s (D130, K130, E130) that was intended for sound reinforcement and bass guitar.
The 140s used a heavier cone, and a longer throw voice coil compared to 130s.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
My favourite 15" speakers of all time:
Altec-Lansing 421A
ElectroVoice SRO15
JBL D130F

You seem to have already dismissed the Altecs, just curious which model they are ?

The 140 series (D140, K140, E140) were a different design than the 130s (D130, K130, E130) that was intended for sound reinforcement and bass guitar.
The 140s used a heavier cone, and a longer throw voice coil compared to 130s.
I have the 421A speakers in this cab. After turning them up for a while, they truly are magical sounding, but i can tell the age of them and id like an 8 ohm load. Im thinking i may even just recone them and have them change it to a 16 ohm impedence so i can run the cab at 8 ohms.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I have the 421A speakers in this cab. After turning them up for a while, they truly are magical sounding, but i can tell the age of them and id like an 8 ohm load. Im thinking i may even just recone them and have them change it to a 16 ohm impedence so i can run the cab at 8 ohms.
I couldn't agree more.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire

Have you tried wiring it to just use one?

echuta13

TDPRI Member
The Eminence Legend 1518 is one of my favorite guitar speakers! I really haven't demo'd too many others to be honest, but my inclination would be to just buy another one. It is going to be pretty hard mixing another speaker with this one unless you can get kinda close to the 1518's efficiency/sensitivity which is around 103db.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
The Eminence Legend 1518 is one of my favorite guitar speakers! I really haven't demo'd too many others to be honest, but my inclination would be to just buy another one. It is going to be pretty hard mixing another speaker with this one unless you can get kinda close to the 1518's efficiency/sensitivity which is around 103db.

Thats how ive felt, itll make any amp 2x as loud it seems but the tone is so good

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
Whether the Emi Legend 151 is harsh or not depends on the amp and the cab. Really no way to tell until you try it. I've never found that speaker harsh, tried it in a number of combos.

If you can find a Big Ben, grab it. Unusual tone. Throaty, loud, has the coolest sound up very loud. I'm also very fond of the Fullback.

The three mentioned here are the best of all I've tried, to my taste. I have wanted to like the Weber Cali ceramic several times. Not always successful at that. In terms of consistency - sounding good with a variety of amps - the Emi is the champ.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I was a Fender dealer during the late CBS and early FMIC eras.
To my knowledge, Fender never offered Altec-Lansing speakers as factory options.

These were most likely 'salvaged' from a pair of A7 "Voice of the Theater" FOH cabinets.
I mention this because IMO they deserve to be kept together as a matched pair.
You don't happen to have the HF drivers, multicellular horns and crossovers as well ?

I'd consider reconing only if the cones/suspensions are damaged or if there's a voice coil rub.
Parts should still be available, make sure you use a reputable reconer with the correct edgewound/flatwound voice coil.

Are you certain you need an 8Ω load ?
The correct impedance for a 2x15" Fender cabinet is 4Ω.
The vast majority of "15 or 20 watt amps" should easily handle a 4Ω load.

Powdog

Tele-Meister
1656537359816.jpeg

I have a Weber 15A150 in my ‘54 Gibson GA75 and it’s marvelous. Liked it better than a JBL D130.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
I was a Fender dealer during the late CBS and early FMIC eras.
To my knowledge, Fender never offered Altec-Lansing speakers as factory options.

These were most likely 'salvaged' from a pair of A7 "Voice of the Theater" FOH cabinets.
I mention this because IMO they deserve to be kept together as a matched pair.
You don't happen to have the HF drivers, multicellular horns and crossovers as well ?

I'd consider reconing only if the cones/suspensions are damaged or if there's a voice coil rub.
Parts should still be available, make sure you use a reputable reconer with the correct edgewound/flatwound voice coil.

Are you certain you need an 8Ω load ?
The correct impedance for a 2x15" Fender cabinet is 4Ω. Im not sure what you mean about the crossover and all that, it only had the altec speakers in the cab
The vast majority of "15 or 20 watt amps" should easily handle a 4Ω load.
Id perfer the 8 ohm load bc most amps run at 8 ohms, and its safer to use a 4 ohm amp at 8 ohms then vice versa. Also i have found after some experimenting with stuff i already have that i do indeed perfer the eminence legend in this cab by a LONG shot. Wiped the floor with the altecs.