1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$15 Porter Cable Router

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by allen082, Aug 19, 2010.

1. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Hey guys! I picked up this Porter Cable 690 router motor yesterday for $15 bucks on craigslist. As I'm just getting in to the wonderful world of woodworking, I've got a few questions.

What parts do I need to make this functional? I'd like to mount it to a router table, but I've seen alot of comments on here stating that 2hp is the minimum for shaping the body. Whether I use it with a table, or for routing cavities, can you guys also provide a good source to get the parts for this?

Thanks for the help. I'm excited about getting in to this. My Ron Kirn templates arrived last week, so hopefully I'll get some practice bodies rolling in the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

2. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

looks like you need the adjustable piece that the router slides into. I have an old craftsman router that looks very similar to this.

When you find the base for it, you can mount it to the underside of a flat surface, drill a hole for the bit and you are ready to route. - pick up some hearing and eye protection first though.

check out my rooftopCaster thread. I built a router table out of a stand I picked up at HarborFreight for like 20 bucks. The item number is listed somewhere in the thread.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's the part you need....[​IMG]

It's going to cost you a lot more than the motor unless you can find a used one. New they sell for around $65.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...ries-Routers-Model-1001.aspx?refcode=05INFROO

You'll also need a couple of wrenches and another collet depending on which collet is current in there. I suggest you remove the bit and test the motor. Listen to how it sounds. If it doesn't run smoothly it's probably not worth keeping.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

6. Jack Wells

Allen ............ you better grab that ebay base quick or I will.

7. joe desperado

joe desperado Tele-Meister

Must resist clicking buy it now...

I have 3 of these routers and about 6 bases. I leave the base attached to different jigs etc. That is a great price. I paid almost $100 for my plung base and about $35 for most of my fixed bases.

1) Fixed base attached to 12" radius jig
    1) Fixed base attached to 9.5" radius jig
    1) Fixed base attached to router table
    1) Fixed base attached to large bottom plate for chambering
    1) Fixed base with standard size bottom plate for general work
    1) Plunge base for Truss rods and Pup/Cavity routes

8. joe desperado

Looks like he has a great price on the matching motor for $50. This is the newest version as well. It has the buckle style latch on the base and not the T-Thumb Screw. The motor has the rocker switch and not the toggel.

The biggest issue with buying used routers is the condition of the bearins and brushes. I have lucked out and bought all three of my PC routers used but ensured I could return them if they did not work right.

J

9. Jack Wells

Allen ........... If that router base is still available after 4:00 PM Texas time today, I'm clicking "Buy It Now". You've been warned. I'm giving you plenty of time to purchase it.

10. joe desperado

Jack...if its there at 4:05pm CST time..I am clicking buy it now. You got the 4:00 time slot. LOL!

Joe

11. joe desperado

OK....WHO GOT IT? I didn't even make it 10 minutes before I checked back and it was gone.

12. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

just picked it up. thanks for giving me the head start. i owe you guys one.

13. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

i wish i could say that was the fastest i've ever clicked "buy it now," but there are several pieces of stryper memorabilia that would call me a liar.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

This is a great forum!

15. Jack Wells

If the motor is good you got yourself a Porter Cable 690 for $45. Not bad. Plus you got a roundover bit.

16. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sweet thread! I just learned a lot about my new router. I didn't know I needed more bases, but I see it now.

17. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jack - I fired it up last night and it seemes like it ran great. I guess i won't know for sure until i start making some sawdust, but i couldn't be happier with the help everybody's given.

18. kec!

kec! Tele-Holic

The PC 690 is an excellent router. I've had mine for years.

Good score!

19. Ronkirn

That it is, I just bought 2 more a few weeks back, I think that brings me to 12... I don't like to waste time changing bits and resetting it when I'm in the "zone" making bodies...

I stuck one in one of the new MasterLifts I got, and the 7815 should be here Monday for the other one....

They are great, I have only had one go down in who knows how long... I keep a few sets of 'brushes" handy.... all I ever do is replace 'em or the power cord and strain relief....

rk

20. Ronkirn

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.