1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

14" bandsaws - Ridgid, Porter Cable or Grizzly?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Kennedycaster, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Delta with riser block.
    Easy to set up and works when I turn it on.
    3/4 horse Baldor.

2. KRamone27

KRamone27 Tele-Meister

I'm not in any hurry to get one just trying to keep my options.:p

3. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

as adirondak5 and guitar2005 have said, you aren't just buying a block. its the extended post for the guides and the guard that are the problem. this limits your options. your best bet is that since porter cable and delta are the same company now these new porter cable saw take the delta riser kit, which is around $150.

you might want to check with delta/PC to see if that is even an option but the last time i looked the porter cable saw wasn't even on their website, which doesnt inspire a lot of confidence. i've seen them at lowes and they look very, very similar to my delta but i'm not 100% sure that the guide post and guard are the same. i'll look more closely next time i'm there.

4. KRamone27

KRamone27 Tele-Meister

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Well... no... I copied that from some reviews on the BS1400 and it is at least not completely correct correct.

The serial number plate on mine says made in Taiwan... probably right along side every other cast iron frame 14" bandsaw.
    It makes no difference to me as long as it works ok for what I need and it is a great step up from my 9" Ryobi.

6. ndekens

ndekens NEW MEMBER!

If you havnt decided yet..........I have owned both the ridgid and the porter cable.

I still have the portercable.

The ridgid out of the box is twice the setup time as the porter cable and unusable. I had out of balance wheels, and warped wheels and shafts. I owned the saw for a year trying to get it to run in a usable state and eventually returned it to Home depot.

Went across the street and got the portercable and darn near cried when I resawed with it an hour later it was so much better then the ridgid.

I would imagine you will not get much better quality from the lower end grizzly and yeah the motor is no 1.5hp its a 3/4 just like the ridgid was.

7. ndekens

ndekens NEW MEMBER!

Wow I joined DEC 2009 and that was my first post!!!! :p

8. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

what is the recommended size for a bandsaw ?

9. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I've used a 9" and a 14" - most people use 14" saws. The 14" saw is perfect for working with all the stuff you need to make necks and bodies.

10. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

For cutting out guitar bodies and necks, size is not the most important thing. You can get away with a small BS and a 1/2 HP motor. Keep the feed rate slow and you'll be fine.

A scroll saw works well too.

A good BS will make a world of difference though, especially if you start cutting anything thicker that 2" or if you want to re-saw in the future for guitar tops and such. A good 14" BS with riser block and 1HP motor is plenty IMO.

11. ratter

ratter Tele-Meister

Keep an eye on the Craftsman 22401 also. Resaws 8" out of the box - the 1hp motor is more of a limiting factor than the height, IMO. $500 but goes on sale often. I got it for $400. It uses an odd blade length, but if you have a Sears nearby, they probably stock them. Comes with a nice cabinet base. I understand it is made by Rikon.

[​IMG]

12. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My 14" King cost me $299.00 about 8 or 9 years ago. Wifey got my a riser kit for Christmas and I can resaw boards up to 10" so it will do everything (and more) that I will ever need to do in guitar building. It's not the best saw in the world but it has served me very well.

[​IMG]

13. es125tcd

es125tcd TDPRI Member

14"delta... lasts forever !!!

I have my grandfather's 1954 Delta Milwaukee ( Same as the current Delta, except the wheel guards aren't hingeed- ALL other parts interchange !!!) it's 1 yr older than me, has the riser block, also, has the 30" rip fence option !!!- still going strong after 50+ years- will probably hand it down to my grandson !!!- Grandpa used this saw for everything , from cabinet building , to building my cousin a plywood hydrofoil boat , from a plan in popular mechanics in the early 60's !!!- spend a little extra on the Delta, you will be glad you did way on down the road-both in quality,and replacement parts- the model 14 has been around forever !!!!

14. TheNewSteveH

TheNewSteveH Tele-Holic

Craigslist is the way to go. I got a lightly used 19" Shop Fox for $850. Cuts straight and resaws big logs.

15. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jkingma..... Your 14" King looks very much like my 14" ridgid

[​IMG]

16. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Wow.

They were both probably born in the same asian factory.

17. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think you're right. I'd like the see a picture of a Delta taken from the same angle.

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I feel like I'm looking am my Delta from the back view. Even the grey is the same color.

19. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

DSC01551.jpg

20. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Well, I finally got a new bandsaw today.

Here's my old 9" Powr-Kraft...[​IMG]

and here's my new (to me) Delta 14" I found on cl today...[​IMG]

Works great. I gave $250 for it. I think I got a good deal. :D

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.