1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

12ax7 pin 8...grounded?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by alias23k, Aug 14, 2009.

1. alias23k

alias23k Tele-Meister

i have a shematic that does this with a 68k resistor. all other schems that i've read pins 3 and 8 are connected then goes to the output stage. I've read this increases gain but offsets current values.

Any input on this? Thanks.

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Pins 3 and 8 are the cathodes of the 12a?7 family. In a grounded cathode amp stage, the resistor to ground from the cathode sets the bias point, this effects everything about the AC transfer of the stage.

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

What schematic?

What do you mean when you say that "all" other schematics show both cathodes tied together and going to the output stage?

You could tie cathodes together, but they're not "all" done this way by any means.

Like celeste mentions most amps are used in a grounded cathode setup and it sets the tube's bias. A bypass cap is a sort of negative feedback circuit there.

Maybe the schematic you have can help answer your question better...

4. alias23k

alias23k Tele-Meister

thanks for the replies guys. i posting a new thread where you can read the finished layout. please disect and critique. i'll post more info there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.