1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

12AT7 tube in a Hotrod Deluxe

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by motwang, Nov 23, 2015.

1. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Well more than likely circuitry of amp was modified to work with that tube rather than just a willy/nilly throw a different tube in there. Only a schematic exam of those two model could say for sure.

2. pawleep

pawleep TDPRI Member

do all these need to be changed at one time?
    what was single best improvement?
    what about the mullard 12A_7 tube in v1 or v2

3. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

You don't need to change them all. You just need to be sure that any tubes you leave in are performing close to spec.

To my ears, the single best improvement is the change in V1. The phase inverter in V3 comes in 2nd.

In the HRD I kept, I have JAN GE 5751 in V1, a JJ ECC83S in V2 and JAN GE 5751 in V3. For power tubes, I use JAN Philips 6L6WGBs.

4. Nicky cable guy

Nicky cable guy TDPRI Member

I purchased a tiny volume box several years ago to make a solo boost with the loop on my 5150. Never ended up using it till I got a deville 410 this year. It definately helps the volume knob spike problem. I really don't mind the drive channels just keep the gain turned down around 3 or 4 for dirt. Just my 2 cents

5. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I tried it in mine and did not like the sound.

6. bignanoman

bignanoman TDPRI Member

I don't see any circuit issues on swapping in a 12AY7 or a 12AT7 into V1. The HRDLX has pretty standard Fender input circuitry, comparing to Deluxe Reverb / Bassman circuitry. The Drive circuit gain stacking reminds me of a Trainwreck circuit.

7. heavypic

heavypic TDPRI Member

OP - See quote above. I tamed my HR DeVille in a similar fashion....a 12AY7 in V1, a 5751 in V2 and a 12AT7 in V3. I am also running 6V6 power tubes (amp biased accordingly). I now have a much more useful range/sweep on the Volume, Master and Reverb pots. I used JJ tubes but other brands may be fine as well. I used all 'balanced' tubes for a few dollars more per tube. IIRC 'balanced' tubes are recommended for power tubes and preamp tube V3. BTW...I believe 12AT7 tubes are only recommended for V3 (phase inverter tube)...they are not considered an 'audio' tube for use in V1 or V2, although some have used them in those positions. Also, you could try a 5751 (70% of the gain of a 12AX7) in both the V1 (instead of the 12AY7) and V2 positions for more umph... Good luck!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.