1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$120 Used 13" Planer on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hobbs79, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hobbs79

Hobbs79 Tele-Meister

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

3. Hobbs79

Hobbs79 Tele-Meister

Who do I talk to about sharpening the knives also what do you think that would cost. Would they be able to make the appropriate adjustments needed also?

Thanks,

Cory

4. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I know nothing of planers, I clicked this thread accidentally, but I wanted to comment on your Hobbes avatar. Calvin and Hobbes rule :D

5. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

From the looks of it, you'll probably have to put at least another $120 into it to get it back in shape. These old machines can be great, heck, a couple of my machines are from the '50's, but they can end up being a money pit. Another thing to think about, all the time it takes to restore it is time you could be spending building guitars. IMO, I'd pass on it & look for a newer one.

6. Hobbs79

Hobbs79 Tele-Meister

I probably wouldn't do the work myself and if I did put another $120 into in that would still only be $240, compared to new planers that are $800-$2000 I think I would still be on the winning end of the deal. I really don't need a planer, but thought if I could get one for a good deal, why not right?

Thanks,

Cory

7. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks like trouble to me. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Save your money and get the Ridgid 13 in. $399 with free shipping or pick it up at your local Home Depot.

......[​IMG]

8. Hobbs79

Hobbs79 Tele-Meister

Yes, Calvin & Hobbs do rule!

9. Jack Wells

Looks like Hobbs is checking to make sure he still has all his fingers.

10. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Glad to see a post from Jack Wells, getting a little worried

I think that machine looks like it's gone through a couple of decades of being rode hard and put up wet, and probably was left out in the weather to boot.
    Unless I had some kind of expertise on that brand of machine, I would pass.

11. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

it's only a 13". if it were a larger planer i'd say it's worth dumping money into but not something that size. the other issue is that it's 5hp single phase:eek:. you are going to need a 40 amp breaker and #8 wire (i think). it's sucking down a lot of wattage. and this thing probably weighs 200-300lbs, so it's always fun trying to move.

as guitarbuilder said, belsaw has been around for years, i think sears sold them at one point in the 60s or 70s. there is a lot of info on the web and parts too i think, look around and see how much a new feed roller and knife are... but as a general rule i don't buy things that aren't working unless i know a lot about how to fix them.

12. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

The RIDGID planer is also orange... big factor here...

And yes... forget about that old piece of crap... you need 13" PLUS for most guitars anywho...

13. Jack Wells

Back to the planer ............ the seller says it's a 13 in. but this spec sheet says the maximum width capacity is 12 3/8 in. Not enough for a Telecaster body blank. The seller can't even get the name right ....calls it a Belstar.

http://www.belsaw.com/bellcat_pdf/Blitz_p2.pdf

14. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

As Jack pointed out, the Ridgid planer is $400 new, & I've seen them go for $200-300 used on cl. Much better option.

15. Jack Wells

With any planer other than a Ridgid, you'd be out another $3 to $4 for a can of orange spray paint to get that cool factor.

16. stmfitr636

stmfitr636 TDPRI Member

I say keep looking. It's good that you don't need it, that gives you time to use discretion.

I did, and ended up finding a 15" Grizzly for $275 IIRC. The extra set of knives cost about $45 to have sharpened.

As with anything else off craisgslist... you have to have cash ready and be able to drop what your doing to go get it.

17. bigfatbass

bigfatbass TDPRI Member

Never skimp on a planer. They are required to do one of the most torque aggressive jobs in the shop, and with the finest levels of tolerance. Unless you want to endlessly adjust and re-plane, all the while losing precious depth/stock, I'd stay away.

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd pass on it as well. You could be buying a lot of scrap metal for that price. Check out a Dewalt 13 with a 3 knife cutterhead with 2 sided-disposable knives. These are geared to contractors. Lowes carries them, as does woodcraft. They have a big following and have an internal blower so you don't need to buy a dust collector. Really cheap planers tend to snipe which is a major pain in the butt, as a few inches of each end of the board are thinner than the rest.

19. Hobbs79

Hobbs79 Tele-Meister

Very nice, once again Jack Wells comes through - This is a way better deal, it will go great with my Ridgid router.

Very true...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.