12 string?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TeleUpNorth, May 16, 2021.

1. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Considering trying to do a 12 string Tele or Offset build. Anybody done one? Best thoughts on a bridge; top load or string through? Neck ideas? Trying to get all the parts into a list and figuring things out. Love any input from others who know more than I!

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

The original 60s offset Electric 12 design was never bettered imho. Wide neck (unlike Ricky and 335s) brilliant bridge with individual intonation and height and great pickups and switch options. Hockey stick is the only thing I might change.

Here's my 65. Good luck with the build. 20201106_152321.jpeg

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I did this Telemaster 12 to this point...lost interest in going farther...which was sanding and finishing. Gotoh 12 string bridge with the front end of a modern cast bridge to hold the pickup.

telemaster 12.jpg

4. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Where’d you snag the neck? Looks good!

5. guitarbuilder

I made it out of some quartersawn walnut I have here. Tuners were mic cheapies. I also put an Epi neck on a Maestro poplar body. I made the pickup with staggered pole pieces so eah string has it's own pole piece.

maestro epi.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  6. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I wish I had your skills to make a neck! A bit envious. All I can find are Musikraft, Warmoth or China made necks.

Fiesta Red and crazydave911 like this.
  7. guitarbuilder

Well start building some necks...that's how I started...:).

8. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m also thinking of partscastering a 12-string (minimal woodworking tools or skills available!). Finding a 12-string neck in the U.K. seems to be a real challenge. I could order one from Warmoth (‘65 style or Strat XII style) but that’s expensive.
    I’m thinking of looking at a 6-string neck with a paddle headstock and cutting it like a Rickenbacker / Surfcaster headstock (but with the slots right through like the later Rics). I know this won’t give the widest neck though.
    For a bridge I’d guess the Gotoh bridge (used on the 2019 MIM Electric XIIs, current Danos and the Reverend Airwave I believe) but I’ve seen 12-string Tele bridges on eBay.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  9. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I saw those bridges today when perusing. I’d love to do an offset, but finding a hard tail is not easy. At least on a budget.
    There’s some 12 string necks from China I might risk trying, worst case it’s horrible and I make a 6 string with it in the end...

AAT65 likes this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I have built two acoustic 12 strings and the double neck

IMG_6254.JPG

I have also had an EDS and several other electric 12 string cross my bench, often with problems.

There are a whole lot of questions you need to ask yourself. What tunings and strings will you use, which segues into scale length and type of neck joint. How wide do you want the nut and where ever the body joins. This all segues into bridge. A fairly important question is whether you will string it "normal" (octaves on the even positions) or Rick (primaries on even).

With acoustic 12 string we usually go down a couple of string gauges and often down tune, so even tho you have twice as many strings you actually have like 150% of the tension. That is not true of the most popular electric 12 string sets - D'Addario EXP150 are twice the tension.

Your choice of bridges will answer a lot of these questions. I used a 12 string ToM which dictated spacing and of course is 12 inch radius. It does not have separate adjustment for intonating each string - that is OK with the way that guitar is played.

Consider mini tuners to lighten the head - its going to dive anyway.

IMG_6260.JPG

And last, but very important, consider building to fit an available case. Believe it or not the double neck does, but I learned my lesson on the acoustics - both required custom cases that are not only very expensive by long delivery.

I've got lots of pictures and calcs and geometry stuff from the ones I built if you want to get into all of that. There was a build thread on the double neck, you might want to look that up.

Twelve string guitars are the grand pianos of the guitar world. Have fun.

11. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Thank you! That is a lot of great information. I had a artist series Seagal 12 for many years that I loved, I just don’t play enough acoustic music to justify having such an expensive 12 string acoustic. I’d love to have an electric 12 for some different sounds in the three piece that I am currently reading music for.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The Gotoh 12-string bridge is nice. Beware, there are some cheaper knock-offs that look identical but are not. Get the real thing.

jhundt, crazydave911 and TeleUpNorth like this.
  13. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Appreciate that advice!

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Danelectro made a 12 string with 12 saddles. The main strings pass through the body and the octave strings are top mount.

This is a video from a good guitar tech who modded one. May give you some ideas.

15. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

One of these days, I'm going to string up a Squier Strat in Nashville Tuning to double conventional rhythm parts.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    TeleUpNorth and AAT65 like this.
  16. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I’ve strung my SG with them and enjoyed that for recording a lot!

Ed Driscoll likes this.
  17. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Yeah, the fake one will ALWAYS have slanted saddles, the grooves are cut at the wrong height.

I'm in the uk, and bought the Gear 4 music 12 string tele kit, it's taken a few years, but I've finally gotten to what I really wanted.

The neck with the kit is a baseball ball, it's so bleeding fat, but with alot of work, I've gotten it pretty damn playable.

Here it is in the revision before where I am now (I haven't had chance to take a good picture of the new mods yet!)
    16150339867793858034722033708242.jpg

18. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Nice work! Gives me inspiration and hope.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    This thread might have some help for you.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/father-son-project-12-string-airline.308555/

crazydave911 and TeleUpNorth like this.
  20. kifla

kifla Tele-Meister

I've made two 12string Marauder Type I...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since there is a lack of XII guitar parts I have attempted to make replica bridges on my CNC:
    [​IMG]
    Got everything polished and even chrome plated....and than abandoned the idea because I was
    unable to make string saddles for it....and few attempts to commission someone to do it proved to be disaster.:oops:

So, went on the Gotoh 12 bridge route; just made an outer ring to mimic the original XII bridge.
    Looks and works well. As somebody mention it earlier in the thread...shoot for original piece!;)

As for the neck; try to find some quarter sawn rigid maple...green Marauder was a Harvey's victim in Houston
    (no direct contact with water) and neck had to be replaced.

I think I still have one neck left in Houston shop, but won't be there before later this summer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.